How to: stop fog-light grilles from falling out

Oli18

Hi,

Last year i bought a new set of fog-light grilles...that's right, the £120 ones that the early facelift A8 came with which has 2 parts on each side - one surround for the fog light and one for the grille. I then had some thieving little sh#@*s steal them within record time :ffs:. I then bought another set and they fell out so all in all a bit of a drama....

...until now (hopefully).

I basically tried to come up with a way to secure them better so that they wouldn't just fall out and not just anyone can come along (without tools at least) and rip them out. So here is it...

1. Drill a small hole in the grille next to the hole that keeps the grille in place.

2783612707_c4264c73f4.jpg

2783613275_08a2105303.jpg

2. Put a cable tie through the hole (i'll be replacing mine using a black one when i get a chance on the weekend) and make sure the 'block' bit of the cable tie remains behind the grille so that it will be out of sight. Then feed it through the round hole that you see just above where the grill is and loop it around so you can put it back in to the cable tie 'block' like below...

2784465452_b5fa94a1fb.jpg

3. Then push the grille in place remembering that it also has to slot in sideways into the foglight surround. Now pull the cable tie so it tightens up.

2783614323_d4404cb189.jpg

4. Clip off the cable-tie excess...

2784466590_2655d19844.jpg

5. And stand back and smile knowing those bad-boys are not going anywhere without a serious fight :cool:.

2784467166_71a0ea555c.jpg

2784467700_598ed026d2.jpg

Hope it helps someone else!

-Oli

PS - please no laughing at my un-coloured parking sensors...it's on the list! :o

Edited by Oli18
Photo wasn't working

• 3 months later...

Sorry to bump the thread guys.

I arrived home today from shopping with the missus to find that I had lost the fog light grill on the driver side. I have a 2001 3.7 Quattro sport - it's a 1 piece part unlike the one Oli had on his.

Just wondering where the best place to get a replacement one is? I have dropped an e-mail to a8parts to see if they have any, but i'm not hopeful as they don't have them up on their ebay page.

Any ideas guys?