DSG test drive

jcuthell

Drove a DSG SILVER, winter pack and leather this afternoon. Here are some of my comments any q's let me know:

First impressions

- Not as great as I thought they would be mainly because of the colour. Thought silver was very dull (no offence a personal preference) but you can't deny the car has great design features ans would look great in many other colours but can see it being colour sensitive

Boot

- Reasonable size but very high lip. Freaked the sales out as I mentioned it wouldn't fit a pram. He looked at my wife and didn't know whether to say congratulations :)

Wheels:

- Yep they look great - didn't notice the wheel arch gap people mention

Inside

- Seats extremely comfortable. Easy to get great driving position. Not a leather fan but it was comfy and good quality better than standard BMW if you ask me.

Ambience

- Didn't feel that dark or claustrophobic too me. Mind you I drive a Cooper S with darkened glass, all black inside and anthracitie headlinining.

- Lots have criticised the interior but I thought it great. Build quality good compared with MINI's. Liked little touches like piano black fitting round the hifi and the nicely damped glovebox. The rings that adjust the aircon temp were a bit cr*p though.

- Rear view thought was tiny until the dealer moved the trade plateemotion-5.gif

- Radio very goodemotion-29.gif huge amount of different operations. What is TIM?

- Back is very easy to get in and out (compared to the Cooper S)

Performance

- Brisk and enjyoable lovely engine not quite as quick as I thought it would be - you could tell it needed running in. The EOS with the same engine and gearbox felt quicker so I would expect this to get better (only 40 miles on clock)

- DSG gearbox great. My wife who has never driven auto really liked it. Had sleepless nights over to whether to get manual but I am glad I chose this.

- Mid range punch is exceptional I seriously reckon this picks up quicker than the Boxster 2.7

- Engine is probably best I have drive apart from M3 engine

- ACC works very well particularly like sport. In this setting I reckon its only half as bumpy and heavy to steer as the Cooper S

- Its a nice car to be in, looks classy and drives well. I don't think its as much fun as the Cooper S but a great everyday choice. Looking to getting mine!

I do think it's backward step as even the Polo has a gas strut.

I popped into my local dealer today to look at one in the flesh but didn't get a chance to drive it.

It was identical to the one you tested and I thought it looked better in the flesh than in the pictures but i agree it's going to be very colour sensitive.

I must admit I was a little dissappointed with the interior more in the detail with things like not having the sliding cover over the cup holders and I thought the "aux-in" jack on the front edge of the armrest looked so unprofessional.

The high lip for the boot may be a problem for some as well.

When I say the wheels in the pictures I didn't like them but they suit the car and I agree there is too much clearance around the arches. I can see lowering kits being popular.