2007 Facelift 5 Series - what changed?

davyk31

Haven't really been keeping a close eye on the 5 Series changes but think there was a facelift early 2007? I know one of the visual changes was the new style auto gearshift....... what else changed. Have seen a reasonably priced 535d M Sport but its late 2006 therefore misses out on the changes.

Quite a lot of changes were made.

> New electronic shift gearbox, this is much faster to engage, so feels less "slushy"

> iDrive update, faster navigation of menus

> 8 programmable shortcut buttons, these are handy for radio station presets and common nav destinations like Home & Office

> LED rear lights ?

Sure there were a few more changes. Not sure if this is when the 5 series got all the Efficiency Dynamics too, in which case the 535d went from 272bhp to 285bhp and gets a BIG jump up in mpg.

+++

Dare I mention that it does not have Satnav I do not think........again as in my previous postings I reckon I do not need it but probably its important for aftersale. Having said that the old principle applies of buying chaeper because it hasn't satnav. Its Nov 06, carbon black with black leather on for 24k with 20k miles on the clock. Only the 18" wheels which is slightly off-putting but could maybe do something about that.

Yes have thought about a 335d, have a 325 Touring at the moment and kinda fancied a change. Would the 335 be a lot cheaper than a 535 as there seem to be a lot more fives about and therefore supply driving down the prices.

Would be quite interested in a 3 Coupe as I do not really need the practicality now as we have the X3 for that. Had mentioned in a previous post about a 335d M Sport Coupe that seemed good value. Having said that a well priced 335 or either saloon or touring could be attractive also.......... rather undecided as you can see ! Also I do VERY low mileage so the sensible mind says to stick with what I have but the lure of a bit more performance is very tempting.

Looks like good value for money, but if you don't need the practicality or the fuel economy then I would say don't buy one. I'd recommend a 335i Coupe. Diesels are only good if you're doing high mileage, they cost more to buy in the first place generally and the fuel is more expensive, so despite the low fuel consumption you won't see a return on your extra money spent unless you're doing the miles. The 335i is more fun, as is the 335d. And the one you mentioned in the other thread looked like a great buy, so i'd stay on that route personally.

Problem with the 335 petrol is that big petrol engines are a no-no at the moment for resale and are likely to become worse. Diesel seems to be what everyone wants and that me as a petrol head saying that. Having said that I love the torque in my 3.0d X3 and thats what makes me think the 335d has to be a stormer with all that torque and easy driveability. I am sure the twin turbo petrol is a stormer also but maybe needs a bit more work and revs to make it all happen.

Still tempted by the 335d Coupe i mentioned before.......... just a bit worried about the offers on my 325i Touring being a bit infuriatingly low.

The 535 is one of the worst residual engines in the 5 Series, because most people would be happy with the 530d. Not to mention they're massively expensive in the first place.

The 335i engine doesn't need to be worked that much harder than the 335d, it's just the 335d has massive low down torque which helps to pull it along with ease but the 335i is way more fun. If you plan on sticking to the diesel i'd recommend you chop your 325 in for the 335 you've seen. The residuals on yours won't get any better than what they are so why wait?

I do have to agree that the new interior is absolutely miles better than the pre-facelift one. It's just more classy and doesn't look as cheap. Especially in the M Sport.

So anyone want to give me an idea of what my car is worth. Its a Feb 2006 325i M Sport Auto Touring in silver with 24k, heated black leather, adaptive Zenons and CD changer....maybe a few other bits and pieces. Totally immaculate absolutely no carpark dents or wheel damage, BMW s/history and very recent rear tyres.

PM ideas on what I should expect please......

The 535 is one of the worst residual engines in the 5 Series, because most people would be happy with the 530d. Not to mention they're massively expensive in the first place

Not sure I'd agree with you there, when I came to trade my 535d in, the chap said "it could be worse, you could have a 525d or 530d... they do even worse in the book"

New they are a lot more expensive, so I'd always buy 6-12months old...

Not sure I'd agree with you there, when I came to trade my 535d in, the chap said "it could be worse, you could have a 525d or 530d... they do even worse in the book"

New they are a lot more expensive, so I'd always buy 6-12months old...

Times must have changed. 6 months ago most people I met were getting more excited about the 530d because of the price difference. My sales manager seemed to bid 535d owners in the bollocks and sell them cheap aswell because he also seemed to think there was a bigger market for the 530.]

The 525 I understand because people either went for the 520, or just jumped up to the 530 mainly with a few going for the 535. Petrol sales in the 5 were none existent in my time at BMW. Apart from the M5.

The 535 is one of the worst residual engines in the 5 Series, because most people would be happy with the 530d. Not to mention they're massively expensive in the first place.

The 335i engine doesn't need to be worked that much harder than the 335d, it's just the 335d has massive low down torque which helps to pull it along with ease but the 335i is way more fun. If you plan on sticking to the diesel i'd recommend you chop your 325 in for the 335 you've seen. The residuals on yours won't get any better than what they are so why wait?

I do have to agree that the new interior is absolutely miles better than the pre-facelift one. It's just more classy and doesn't look as cheap. Especially in the M Sport.

Not sure what you are saying - the 535d (auto only) is £3k more expensive than an auto 530d when new. Now at three years old, if the cars half in value, the 535d would be worth £1.5k more. That £1.5k extra depreciation is cheap to my mind to get the benefits of the low down 2nd turbo. Or are you saying that they are worth no more (or less than) an auto 530d?

Times must have changed. 6 months ago most people I met were getting more excited about the 530d because of the price difference. My sales manager seemed to bid 535d owners in the bollocks and sell them cheap aswell because he also seemed to think there was a bigger market for the 530.]

The 525 I understand because people either went for the 520, or just jumped up to the 530 mainly with a few going for the 535. Petrol sales in the 5 were none existent in my time at BMW. Apart from the M5.

Agree on the petrol comment - my local dealer can't remember the last time they sold a petrol five....and up here in Scotland, people with ££ tend to buy the 535d instead of the M5 as the distances driven tend to be greater and its far easier to go 400-500 miles on a tank instead of 225.

PS Also can't believe how much low down shove (and traction) a remapped 535d has.

Yeh sorry, I was saying that they generally used to ge the same trade in value as say a 530d, but then sold for a lot more. So as a new car, people tended to go for the 530d. That's just from my experience, whether it reflects the true nature of the market i'm not 100% sure. But as far as I was concerned, the 530d was a better buy than a 535d. Personally, i'd have a 535 then get it re-mapped.

So anyone want to give me an idea of what my car is worth. Its a Feb 2006 325i M Sport Auto Touring in silver with 24k, heated black leather, adaptive Zenons and CD changer....maybe a few other bits and pieces. Totally immaculate absolutely no carpark dents or wheel damage, BMW s/history and very recent rear tyres.

PM ideas on what I should expect please......

I would guess around £16k in a private sale for a 55 plate 325i.