no new M3 CSL coming, sorry Wopps!

bazza_g

Car magazine online has published a story confirming from Ludwig Willisch- the new BMW "M" Boss, that there will be no CSL ....

Linky

BMW ‘cancels E92 M3 CSL’ | Secret New Cars | Car Magazine Online

BMW ‘cancels E92 M3 CSL’

By Tim Pollard

26 August 2008 12:00

BMW has shelved plans to produce a lighter and sharper CSL version of the E92 M3. CAR’s artist’s impression reveals how the rawest M3 of all was scheduled to look – with an arrival date of summer 2009.

The M3 CSL was supposed to have power uprated to between 450bhp and 470bhp with a corresponding drop in weight, down by 100kg thanks to wider use of flyweight materials. Cup tyres, new engine breathing and a carbonfibre airbox were due to complete the makeover.

But the bean counters at Munich have now canned the project, so they can concentrate on the faster versions of the company’s X-badged crossovers.

The M boss speaks

Ludwig Willisch, the new M Division boss, said: ‘Based on current numbers, there is most likely insufficient demand for the M3 CSL.’

:grin: Woppum - best get yourself down to the Porker garage and start testdriving GT3's +++

Edited by bazza_g

I think this means there are going to be a lot of aftermarket 'upgrades' coming out... I think with a bit of a diet, the E92 could be a really potent track tool.

However... my money would still go into a GT3... just for driving pleasure and residual value.

Does sound like the accountants have got hold of the R&D boys at the moment. :ffs:

Yes, it does seem that way. Biccy, totally agree with you that the E92 will make a fantastic track tool. Even with an extra 300kg's over the CSL it is still a fairly close match on track witha good driver. Really though the price has to come down to about £35k as I think there are probably another 30k's worth of modding to be done before it rules all tracks, but it is certainly a good fun option. I look forward to seeing a fettled E92 M3 track/track cars.

Bazz - the porka is loverly but I have gone off the idea. I would get around 30k for my csl, a gt3/rs would cost around 75-90k and all to give me an extra 2 seconds around donny for example. Just not worth it. Besides I am having way too much fun in the river rocket!

For a new CSL however I think id cough up! ;)

Ok, well GTR V-Spec it is then

Now I'm probably going to get shot for saying this (esp. by my mate who's ordered one), but I honestly think once you've had your fun doing 0-60 in 3.8 seconds a few times, the novelty of the GTR is going to wear.

It is an awsome technical achievement, but the car does everything for you, like a £50k arcade game.

[hides for cover]

Autocar had a head to head between an R8, GTR and 911 (can't remember which one)

And the order came out for HANDLING, ride, power and basically the best drives car as the GTR by a fair margin, it was the R8 second and the new 911 third. :eek:

I know what your saying but in reality it seems to be ticking ALL the boxes and not just the 0-60 ones and being a playstation machine as many think it is. +++

Now I'm probably going to get shot for saying this (esp. by my mate who's ordered one), but I honestly think once you've had your fun doing 0-60 in 3.8 seconds a few times, the novelty of the GTR is going to wear.

It is an awsome technical achievement, but the car does everything for you, like a £50k arcade game.

[hides for cover]

Don't think I'd get too tired of blowing away machinery priced two or three times as much! ;)

Don't think I'd get too tired of blowing away machinery priced two or three times as much! ;)

But priced at about 55k i'd rather have an M Car to be honest. The only Japanese car I would buy would be the new Evo. Which I doubt the GTR will be massively quicker than, if at all, when the Evo X arrives in a 400bhp version or an RS Sprint.

Edited by tom_hargreaves

But priced at about 55k i'd rather have an M Car to be honest.

I love M cars and have had a few of them M3's, CSL. But current M3 doesn't do it for me although I do like the M3 in saloon form somewhat.

The GTR is a mini-Veyron and the V-spec will be even more brutal. Let's be realistic, no M car will be able to keep up in either form. Hand built, blue-printed engines and beautiful interiors....can't wait to order mine! :cool:

As for the Evo X, it's a chavs wet dream...all IMO, of course. ;)

I'm sure it will be faster than an M Car, But i'd still rather have an M3 or an M6 over one. I'd also have a 911 and an R8 over one.

Hand built doesn't really mean much to me, apart from reliability issues, but whether Nissan will ever have this problem i'm sure not.

It isn't really what i'd call a "Beautiful" interior either, it's just a space shuttle cockpit with a steering wheel and a gear shifter, intended to wow the techno lover inside you. When I think of a Beautiful interior the first thing that pops into my head is a DB9 interior.

drivers republic have a video by chris harris racing the gtr, v8 vantage, 911 and R8 on track. Have a look its free. At the end they did a standing start 911 vs GTR. The 911 was faster (not a turbo!)!!!

It dosent put me off, I just dont like the - size, weight, fact that tyres cost £2k a set and it sounds like a hairdryer. Would love to see a mad version though!

Phwoar I wish my hairdryer sounded like that!

;)

That does sound good in the video, but need to know more information about that zorst. Not making excuses but if it is titantium it means it cant get welded if you have an off or a problem. The biggest problem is it could be over 100db's which will casue massive problems on track. Still its the best sounding system i have heard on the GTR. As standard there is no denying its a hairdryer, but if your not going on track all the time then The GtR makes sense.

• 4 weeks later...
But priced at about 55k i'd rather have an M Car to be honest. The only Japanese car I would buy would be the new Evo. Which I doubt the GTR will be massively quicker than, if at all, when the Evo X arrives in a 400bhp version or an RS Sprint.

That nissan blows all the others away "EVO" no chance IMO, arcade game or not it's a revolution in sport cars, and trounces the others in it's price range.

Nissan GT-R v Porsche 911 Turbo video part 2 | Car Video & Clips | Car Magazine Online

Watch and cry.

Not based on the sale of the current M3 they wont and thats what they are looking at

How many M3's have been sold? Don't forget they didn't make masses of the last CSL which is why every single one of them got sold and why they hold their value very well.

You can't take the sales of the standard M3 and even begin to think how well a CSL version would do based on that. They should be looking at the success of the last one.

You just can't compare them, they are so different in every way. They aren't just an M3 stripped out, you have to compare the CSL more to the likes of the 911 GT3/GT3 RS.

I've seen all the video's and write ups of the GTR. Would still rather have the Porsche.

That nissan blows all the others away "EVO" no chance IMO, arcade game or not it's a revolution in sport cars, and trounces the others in it's price range.

Nissan GT-R v Porsche 911 Turbo video part 2 | Car Video & Clips | Car Magazine Online

Watch and cry.

Golfer you dont get on track much do you? The GTR may be fab but on a tight and twisty track I imagine mass will become the better of it. Of course on track with speed and acceleration the Gtr is in a world of its own. I think we also have to respect the fact a car the size and weight of an s-class but as fast as a 911 turbo is not for everyone, no matter what evo says...

How many M3's have been sold? Don't forget they didn't make masses of the last CSL which is why every single one of them got sold and why they hold their value very well.

You can't take the sales of the standard M3 and even begin to think how well a CSL version would do based on that. They should be looking at the success of the last one.

You just can't compare them, they are so different in every way. They aren't just an M3 stripped out, you have to compare the CSL more to the likes of the 911 GT3/GT3 RS.

I've seen all the video's and write ups of the GTR. Would still rather have the Porsche.

Its the size, weight, 4wd and £2k a set tyres that put me off more than anything. I am simply not preapred t spend between £12-18k a year on tyres. A nice car but makes little sense on track.