530i Auto vs 535d

punas

Hi,

I am considering changing my car to an E60 5 series and have narrowed it down to a 530i Auto or 535d.

I would love to hear people's thoughts on the differences between these two cars. For the sake of this discussion, let's discount the financial factors such as purchase price, fuel and depreciation. I'd like to focus on performance, handling and general feelings.

I admit that I haven't had test drives yet, but most of us here love to do months of research up front. I have owned a 325i manual before, so I have a good idea of how creamy smooth the straight six would be in the 530i. I have no experience of deisels but am well aware of how good the 525d, 530d and 535d are, but how do they sound and feel? Once up and running I think they probably sound great but I have a big worry about how they sound & feel when you first turn the key - I know the 530i does well in this department.

My A4 2.0T has an engine that performs really well, but when you first turn the key the engine is in no way exiting, nor does it sound good once extended. I have realised that, for me, you can have plenty of performance but if it isn't delivered aurally & feelinigly (sic) then you lose a lot of interest.

So what do people think? Good feelings from a 530i against big midrange in the 535d - or aren't they comparable?

Hi Punas,

These two models really can't be compared as they perform very differently.

If your just after 'that' creamy smooth sound you get from the x30i engine, then you can't get much better... but performance wise, the 535d is in another league.

I love the 3.0l petrol BM engine, it sounds and goes incredible well (esp. in our 1 series), but the 535d I had would walk all over the 130i in a straight line, it doesn't really sound like a diesel unless your in a multistory car park (where the petrol sounds lovely).

I'm guiessing you'd be able to pick up a very well spec'd, low mileage 530i far cheaper than a 535d, as bigger petrol cars are not flavour of the month right now........ and the 535d is currently to most desirable 5 series. Most 535d's are well spec'd models.

You loking at MSport or SE ? Personaly I would avoid an SE like the plague as they depreciate like nothing on earth.

HTH with any other questions you might have. Plenty of people on here have had both cars.

+++

Edited by Biscuits
sh1t grammar

Thanks Biscuits.

Definitely an MSport.

Could you comment on what the 535d feels like on a cold start, does it make a reasonable sound or is there a fair amount of Deisel clatter?

I recon it's quieter than my M3... Seriously, they are NOTHING like a four-pot diesel, your neighbours won't think you've taken up mini-cabbing!

My money would go on a 535d. What year are you looking at, they made some big changes in 2007 that improved fuel economy and added a few nice gadgets to boot.

I'd like a touring and preferably LCI (2007), so I've been hanging on to see what 1 year olds start turning up. I suspect these cars are going to be 35K ish, so big money. Looking to change in October/November so maybe the salesmen will be even more depressed by then.

Thanks Biscuits.

Definitely an MSport.

Could you comment on what the 535d feels like on a cold start, does it make a reasonable sound or is there a fair amount of Deisel clatter?

Who on earth opens a window and listens to the engine of a car!!!!!:o

It sounds like a diesel for about 3 mins, there after quiet.

You have to drive both as there is no universal right answer - its all personal. I have an LCI M Sport 535d saloon and love it as it has instant huge thrust but it does sound like a diesel.

You should have no problem with your budget if you shop around and ask for a discount.

From what I have heard of these engines, the 535d sounds like a slightly noisey BM 6 cylinder petrol.

As said before, go for the 535d of those choices. Stonking performance, 6 cylinder sound, good mpg, good resale desireability

Many years ago, I heard a Merc E300d (6 cyl) idling away, and my mate said 'sounds a bit rough for a Merc'. And he was shocked when I told him it was a diesel. It was very quiet. All diesels a 'clattery' on cold start, but you don't really hear it sitting in the car unless you have a 4 cylinder job.

You also don't get the vibration on tick-over you tend to get with a 4-pot, which gets annoying in traffic.

Your getting close to 545i performance with out the desperate depreciation and fuel bills with a 535d.... and not a million miles away from M3/5 "every-day" performance if you get it remapped.

Buy a 6 month old 550i, will give mpg close to the 530i and a hell of a lot more performance, plus at 6 months old it is alot cheaper than a 535d.

Also look at the year old Alpina B5's, they are stunning cars, fast as an M5 while returning 22-30mpg.

535d is an awesome car though, once tweaked! ;)