Life after GTI? What next??!

poobarr

If i like it a mk6 GTI will be my next car and it will be kept for many years unless i hate it.

Our mk5 GTI will move from our second family car spot to main family car spot.

If i could put up with the big a$$ and the large doors the scirocco would have been my next car. I did fancy the S3 at one point but it just lacks something i cannot put my finger on.

BMWs just don't do it for me too common and its what sheep drive.

Edited by Snoopy

Saw the Scirocco at VW dealer the other day, it was a bit Puma like (not a good thing in my books) and no faster, less practical.

I dont mind sacrificing practicality for performance but see little reason to do it otherwise.

Lets hope they do a special edition of the Scirocco at say 250BHP, should make it a bit more interesting.

I went down the route of a Boxster S 987 and have absolutely loved the car. Shame it looks like I am going to take the bite for the credit crunch / fuel worries and everything else that people blame for depreciating cars. {btw not a plug to sell my car... but if you were interested its in the marketplace} ;)

As much as my GTI was a great car I have to say going different rather than staying in the VAG family (i know porsche is a sort of half sibling) was a good thing as I have been driving my parents A3 quite heavily over the last couple of weeks and it feels slightly too similar in many ways to a GTI. Very glad I didnt go to the S3 which I was moments away from picking up after the GTI.

Still a 997 would not be a bad buy at the moment as am sure there must be deals to be had.

I went down the route of a Boxster S 987 and have absolutely loved the car. Shame it looks like I am going to take the bite for the credit crunch / fuel worries and everything else that people blame for depreciating cars. {btw not a plug to sell my car... but if you were interested its in the marketplace} ;)

As much as my GTI was a great car I have to say going different rather than staying in the VAG family (i know porsche is a sort of half sibling) was a good thing as I have been driving my parents A3 quite heavily over the last couple of weeks and it feels slightly too similar in many ways to a GTI. Very glad I didnt go to the S3 which I was moments away from picking up after the GTI.

Still a 997 would not be a bad buy at the moment as am sure there must be deals to be had.

So what's next then mate?

Life after a GTI....the following cars would be on my consideration list:

Audi TT 2.0T

Audi A3 S3

Scirocco 2.0T

MKVI Golf GTI

This is assuming a £22k to £26k budget.

I'm no life long die hard VAG fan but these are currently the only cars that appeal visibly, performance wise and have hald decent build quality / feel

Diesel power - still can't personally make that plunge. Cannot get on with the narrow rev band and winter morning start up rattle.

It would have been an M3 in days gone by, but they cost so bloody much now! So probably a mark VI GTI manual. Am I the only person on this forum that prefers a good old fashioned stick to the paddles?

Nope me too, tried em but I just dont feel as involved in in control. They are great if you live in a city though or you like shaving/eating/picking nose etc. whilst driving!

Nope me too, tried em but I just dont feel as involved in in control. They are great if you live in a city though or you like shaving/eating/picking nose etc. whilst driving!

....The problem with DSG is that too many manual drivers can't escape their mindset that DSG is just an automatic. The fact is that you can drive it exactly as you would a manual - You just use your fingers rather than your whole hand and left foot. Mentally you are just as involved. It's wasting it if you only stay in D or S-mode.

But I'm not wanting to start a debate in this thread - Each to their own +++.

....The problem with DSG is that too many manual drivers can't escape their mindset that DSG is just an automatic. The fact is that you can drive it exactly as you would a manual - You just use your fingers rather than your whole hand and left foot. Mentally you are just as involved.

Thats a bit of a sweeping statment imo. DSG has its limitations, especially in bad weather.

Thats a bit of a sweeping statment imo. DSG has its limitations, especially in bad weather.

....Bad weather? - We hardly ever get snow in my neck of the woods I'm glad to say, and when we do it's very light and gone in a day or two. Very different from where you live, methinks Geoff.

Yes, I guess a slightly sweeping statement, only based on my own experience with DSG.

....My serious considerations would be : -

- Audi S3 Sportback quattro IF they offer S-tronic (DSG).

- Mk6 GTI-R DSG.

- Audi TT RS 2.5 5-cyl twin turbo quattro S-tronic (not out yet).

All subject to test drives.

5coils6copy.jpg

RedRobin

You can get the Audi S3 sportback with DSG now and adapitive dampers as well.