About to buy 'Edition 30'

wagonboy

I am a new member on site, but hopefully will use and find the site very interesting and worthwhile.

Just about to purchase an Ed.30 DSG 2007/57 plate with 4000 miles on clock.

All of you who are out there that have one I would be very pleased with your feedback and hopefully hear of your experience's of owning one.

Look forward to reading your replies.

Many thanks 'wagonboy'

Welcome to TSN ...+++

If you do a search under ED30 there has been a fair bit of input.

or just run through the GTI thread titles over the last 3/4 months if you haven't already done so.

Quite a few ED30 owners here.

What colour and spec have you gone for as a matter of interest ?

Edited by TwoSheds

Welcome to TSN ...+++

If you do a search under ED30 there has been a fair bit of input.

or just run through the GTI thread titles over the last 3/4 months if you haven't already done so.

Quite a few ED30 owners here.

What colour and spec have you gone for as a matter of interest ?

Thanks for reply,havn't looked under ED30, had a look at quite a bit of the gti input, most of it relates to specific problems or queries. Was just trying to get a response in general if owners are pleased with the car overall.

The car is ED30 5dr. DSG, reflex silver with interlagos/leather trim, parking censors, tinted glass, rcd 500 music system with 6 stack, cruise, centre arm rest.Other than that it is normal spec i think. Once again thanks for interest/reply.

Had mine for 18 months or so now and still very much enjoying it. Nicely balanced on the twistys due to the great suspension and chassis, engine provides plently of turbo punch.

I still morn my R32 in the wet as the lack of 4wd is laughable sometimes, but the economy that can be got considering the performance is a bonus.

Toured round the Isle of Wight last week and it was great, although the VW satnav isnt too clever as we were trying to find an Indian Restaurant and it took us here..

(or maybe it knows more than it made out)

f_25082008153m_5b1486b.jpg

f_25082008155m_d4ce555.jpg

I have a standard GTI and my father in law has an Ed30.

He has now had his DSG Ed30 about 16 months and covered 17000 miles ish.

So far the car has been very reliable and he is very satisfied with the performance and the speed of DSG changes. He drivesthe car reasonable hard in the right conditions and ehn the engine is fully warmed up. Overall averages about 28mpg and has just completely kicked out the first set of front tyres - not bad for 17000 miles considering how he drives it! He only usually managed about 10-13k on previous cars.

Criticisms would be that his bonnet is prone to stone chips - strangely, not the bumper though. Perhaps there is a lacquer issue?? He is a largish fella - 6'2" and about 18 stone at least and finds the seat a little uncomfortable. I've also notices that his drivers seat base side bolster is looking a bit squashed. Comments that the brakes are 'adequate' but notas good as the Bremo's on his last car (Fiat Coupe Turbo)

He always previosly owned performance hatches & coupe's in the GTI price range. Likes the handling and ride, fast DSG gear changes and overall solid feel. Finds the GTI looks acceptable but feels it is overall a bit of an upright design.

He's a bit of a cynical hard to please fella but I'm confident he would recommend it to others - at 65 and a motoring /car enthusiast all his life, that can't be bad! :grin:

Welcome wagonboy - you will not be dissapointed with the ed30.

I have had mine for 18 months and covered 9k (it would have been more, but i have been studying, and it is strictly a weekend car).

mine is a manual, but i am sure you will love the dsg if you have already driven one. i have averaged 30.3mpg using super. this is a mix of motorway 80+, a/b roads and around town.

great cruiser on m/way, and fantastic fun to have a blat around the country roads.

I still look forward to driving the ed30, and will find any excuse to go for a ride.

i have had no problems so far, and it is due its first service in the next few weeks.

one thing to watch...is your speed, it is so easy to do daft speeds, as it handles so well, and you just do not know you are doing the speed...until you see the speedo ;-)

enjoy.

i have not modified this car, as i find it fast enough, but others have with good results. This is essentially a fwd S3, with similar performance and cheaper running costs -despite what the audi snobs may say.

Thanks for the replies, its appreciated +++. I am now looking forward to getting behind the wheel (probably picking it up this weekend :eclipse:).

It really is nice to know that the majority of comments on the ED30 are of a positive nature :D.

Have made a careful note about your speed comments, there are PLENTY of camera's around here !!!!! :uhoh:

This seems an excellent site for keeping up to date with things and I will definately be on here regularly keeping an eye on whats going on with all you keen enthusiasts.

Will relay my comments back to you once we've had the car for a couple of weeks. Cheers again for your interest/comments.

Welcome to Tyresmoke Wagonboy +++

First thing you need to do is modify it :D

You may know it's not a remapped standard GTI engine, but a detuned S3 engine (which is 265PS as standard). If you throw the thick end of £2K at it, you'll get about 330 bhp and 350 torques out of it - full Milltek including sports cats and a remap.

I've driven Ed's demo car at APS in Brackley and feck that thing is quick. Surprisingly it doesn't light up the tyres as much as I was expecting it to. Yes, if you boot it out of a roundabout with too heavy a right foot it'll understeer, but it'll still keep accelerating at one hell of a pace.

Definitely something to give Scooby STIs and Evos a run for their money. Yes, I know it's not 4WD, but you can have some proper decent fun with something like that.

Enjoy your new toy +++

Welcome to Tyresmoke Wagonboy +++

First thing you need to do is modify it :D

You may know it's not a remapped standard GTI engine, but a detuned S3 engine (which is 265PS as standard). If you throw the thick end of £2K at it, you'll get about 330 bhp and 350 torques out of it - full Milltek including sports cats and a remap.

I've driven Ed's demo car at APS in Brackley and feck that thing is quick. Surprisingly it doesn't light up the tyres as much as I was expecting it to. Yes, if you boot it out of a roundabout with too heavy a right foot it'll understeer, but it'll still keep accelerating at one hell of a pace.

Definitely something to give Scooby STIs and Evos a run for their money. Yes, I know it's not 4WD, but you can have some proper decent fun with something like that.

Enjoy your new toy +++

Cheers again for replies +++, will let you know how i get on with my new toy and let you know my comments and post a few piccies in a week or so.

I have an Ed 30 and have just done 4K in it. It's completely standard and loosening up quite nicely - though I feel a remap will happen at some stage ... not that it really needs it !

Mine is a DSG and for where I live it's ideal - though I, like the previous poster, am not totally convinced.

I don't regret replacing my S2000 with it one bit !

DSG is very smooth, it's nice to have around town and driving on the motorway, so 90% it's ideal. It's the 10% where you want to have fun and give it some beans, I just don't feel involved enough. Once you get the hang of it you know that you still need to drive it hard like you would a manual, but there’s something missing IMO.

Something I'm sure you'd get used to but it's not really my thing.

S08 - The Ed30 doesn't need the remap, but the power that you can unleash does give you one hell of a grin :-)

Just traded my 87,000 mile (!!) '05 GTI manual for an ED30 DSG and I must say I'm VERY impressed. The car feels like it's got the right amount of power for the chasis now, although like other posters I wouldn't be surprised if I went doen the tuning route sooner or later. Some of the detail has been improved, and the touchscreen sat nav is lightyears away from the original system on the '05 plate.

DSG is a funny one, I can't really make my mind up. Around town it's good to leave it in auto and waft around without having to think too much. Strangely my main problem with it (although I'm still getting used to it) is on fast A roads. I still after a few weeks find it difficullt to drive smoothly. For example, when I drop a gear at short notice to overtake, I often end up with a lurch, or flaring revs.

Bizzarely once I get on to really tight B road (and smaller) things get a lot better. Both hands on the wheel, the instant gear changes, the throttle blips during heavy braking all make the car feel absolutely rapid and way faster than my manual. I just wish I could get smoother on the other stuff.

DSG is very smooth, it's nice to have around town and driving on the motorway, so 90% it's ideal. It's the 10% where you want to have fun and give it some beans, I just don't feel involved enough. Once you get the hang of it you know that you still need to drive it hard like you would a manual, but there’s something missing IMO.

Something I'm sure you'd get used to but it's not really my thing.

S08 - The Ed30 doesn't need the remap, but the power that you can unleash does give you one hell of a grin :-)

You selling the ed 30 private or doing a px, just wondering as i may be in the market for one soon????

Well i picked up the ED 30 last week. After a week of exhillaration i can say the car is all i expected and MORE. Like a few comments i have read on the site i also cant wait to get in each time i go out to give it another spin. Pleased with the colour and the interlagos trim with the leather looks great. DEFINATELY RECOMMENDED. Attached a couple of piccies.

post-19960-137914421434_thumb.jpg

post-19960-137914421438_thumb.jpg

post-19960-137914421442_thumb.jpg