Drop links - what are they exactly and are they easy to replace?

Oli18

Hi there,

I was told in my last service with Dean Hill (a known mechanic on the forum who's serviced a number of our forum's 8s based around the London area) that my drop links were due for renewal. I believe they are the 'C-shape' parts of the suspension as pictured in Paul Waterloo's picture below (but not sure:confused:).

hr8.JPG

He did one already (he was going to do 2 but audi hadn't given him the right part) on the front right and he mentioned the other 3 pretty much needed doing also. This was back in January so it's been a while since this was recommended...:o

So i have 2 questions:

a. what do they do exactly?

b. Could this be a likely cause of a rattle that has started in the last week from the rear driver's side wheel? Symptoms: A kind of irritating rattle over rough surfaces but no noise at all on smooth surfaces. Doesn’t seem to get worse.

Thanks,

Oli

I think that is the drop link called a connecting link on ETKA I think these things have one of the most complicated suspension set ups ever. Some simpler cars have the stabiliser (that big black bent rod), connected straight to the hub assembley. General look at the bush material will be a give away also get a mate to dab on the brakes while you stand outside looking at the wheel, when he releases the brake the wheel shouldn't move too far forward of its natural position; if it pops forward quite a bit it could be a sign that that link needs replacing.

How easy is it to do? Not sure never had to do it but I don't think its too hard that black bar may need to be leaverd into place will check on the manual when I get home or some of the other folks may have it at hand.