Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Luther

DSG Paddles... Help

9 posts in this topic

Hi all.... Just thought I'd say a quick hello and ask your advice.

I've recently bought myself a Subaru Impreza and love the car to bits however my question relates an 05 Golf GTI with DSG. My girlfriend went and saw one for herself a few days ago and loved it so left a deposit.

Now I've been reading up on the GTI and a lot of people seem to mention that the DSG shouldn't be bought without the paddle option (which I understand was standard from '06).

The new car doesn't have the paddles but seems to have every other option in the catalogue. She's also getting a great trade-in against her SLK so this seems to be the only issue at hand...

Should I advise her to walk away or can the paddles be retro-fitted to the DSG box? I've tried using the search function but it's as useful as a chocolate teapot.... :ffs:

Cheers in advance for your help.... +++

She got a good deal because it doesn't have the paddle shifter. The paddle shifter is very handy but it's just a matter of getting used to shifting with the stick. It is expensive replace the steering wheel with the paddle shifter steering wheel...not worth it.

Personally I wouldn't consider a DSG car without paddles but if the price is that good then it's hard to walk away.

The paddles can be retrofitted but you need a new steering wheel.

Cheers guys... Do you know what sort of money we're talking to get hold of a new steering wheel etc....? I'm just trying to work out if the savings outweigh the potential costs of retro-fitting....:confused:

....I would expect any VW dealer to be able to tell you the costs for supplying and fitting a paddle equipped steering wheel.

If you are intending to keep the car for a year or two, I'd definitely do it - It will also make your DSG car easier to sell on one day.

In my opinion, after 52,000 miles of DSG, it's running it in M and using the paddles at exactly when you would shift with a conventional manual, that makes the DSG so good.

Just don't let anyone tell you carbon fibre paddles make it even quicker...

.... :lol: As if I would ever even suggest such a thing!

fingersJPG.jpg

lol... Thanks for your replies people. To be fair, if i'm going to spend out on a new steering wheel, the cf paddles would be a must have.... They look just so damn tasty... :D

lol... Thanks for your replies people. To be fair, if i'm going to spend out on a new steering wheel, the cf paddles would be a must have.... They look just so damn tasty... :D

....They work well too! I've written a review with pics : - DSG Paddleshifter Extensions Review....