Thinking of a KO4 turbo upgrade for my diesel

marky r

hey as the title say im thinking of a KO4 turbo upgrade for my 1.9GT TDI 130BHP golf i got one offerd to me when i went and bought a leather interior for my brothers leon and what the man was telling me well i was tempterd has anyone done this before? and what should i look for? i understand theres alot of diffrent models so ill find out which one it is?

I don't think that's a particularly good idea at all.. turbos made for petrol engines are very different to turbos made for diesel engines, and then you've got all the problems of trying to bolt it on (because it probably won't fit) and then plumbing it in. Then you've got to get someone to map for it. And then it will probably be practically undriveable!

If you want serious performance out of your TDi, then speak to Allard Motorsport. Lloyd Allard is the main man there.

What you want is a Roll Royce Olympus 593. I know where there are a few going cheap, since Concorde was taken out of service ;)

Like Shark says you may have an issue or two bolting it on and when you light the afterburners your head gasket will get a workout. But I think it may be a better bet than trying to fit a K04 to your 1.9 TDi.

147_4Lg.jpg

Good luck!

hey as the title say im thinking of a KO4 turbo upgrade for my 1.9GT TDI 130BHP golf i got one offerd to me when i went and bought a leather interior for my brothers leon and what the man was telling me well i was tempterd has anyone done this before? and what should i look for? i understand theres alot of diffrent models so ill find out which one it is?

Hi Mark

Your best option is a Hybrid turbo upgrade.

We custom map these to produce up to 250bhp. You will need to upgrade a few other things too. Performance clutch is a must, as the stock clutch is rated at 300lbs/ft torque, which even our stage 1 software can reach.

If you want any advice, feel free to contact me at [email protected]

Cheers

Will

• 2 weeks later...

A hybrid turbo will give great results but a K04 will not fit. Your diesel has a much more efficient VGT (variable geomerty turbine) unit that does away with the waste gate system. Youe ECU is designed to continuously regulate boost pressure via this system and so would not run a waste gate. You would also experiance terrible lag and very peaky torque as the VGT keeps the boost/torque at it's optimum throughout the rev range.

Also, they are a very different size, shape and fitment. Like the gas turbine idea though....... where's my socket set and pocket money...

Here's a cut away of a VGT turbo for interest...

post-20101-137914421475_thumb.jpg

its on the jabbamotorsport website the stage 2 rollingroad ramap takes it to about 180 to 194 bhp but thinking bout it wonder if thats with a new clutch :confused: wonder what other parts youd need!. is there anyone thats put a hybrid turbo on the vw golf? and could anyone recommend were i could source one from? im not as clued up as some people on here but iv got an idea. i still love driving the car and iv heard some people say there savage with a remap and other stuff but i just wanna do go one step further 30 or 40bhp ill soon get bored lol!

A good remap should give 170-175bhp with greatly improved torque and great driveablilty. Your clutch will take it so long as you don't ride it on hills etc. The thing that may suffer at any higher power is the duel mass flywheel. They begin to cause vibration at low revs/high load and get rapidly worse with power on the fun side of 200hp! You can get solid flywheel conversions to stop this and although they don't give too much vibration in normal use they make your gearbox sound like it's gonna fall out at idle!!!! I had an A6 1.9TDi that had comfortably over 200BHP (remeber it Shark90!?) and it was fine but, again as Shark remebers it did like to break the odd CV joint! I would strongly advise either stage 1 which will give you far better improvements and fun than you're probably thinking as it really does transform the car, or, go for a hybrid turbo as my old girl did also begin to wear it's poor little breathless turbo out. Stage 1 and use Shell V-Power diesel (higher cetane) and you'll have a cracker of a car. Then you can upgrade later if you're not happy.

remap it is then to keep me happy i was thinking bout getting another car a few days ago well iam gonna don but thats another 12months away yet was thinking something like the leon cupra or civictype R i love them when they hit the 6000revs lol. but yeah who good for remaps few friends have used jabba and they are more than happy so think ill go for them

The Cupra with a map will give by far best bang for buck!

Personal (extensive) experiance with Revo would make me put it forward to you. Very good quality, reliable and very smooth. Get the stage 1, a replacement PANEL air filter and Hyperboost ReCirc valve (must be recirculating NOT a dump valve) which you can get from Milltek. Make for a cracking car!

Think Shark-90 may be able to help if not though.