Hesitation ??

TheEdge

Hi all

Ive noticed on my R today there is a slight hesitation when changing from 1st to 2nd and/or somestimes 2nd to 3rd gear its not severe just the car seems to be hiccuping, its a mark 4 with 37500 miles so the 40000 mile service isnt far away !! has anyone else had this problem ive heard people mention in the the early days of the Mark 4 R there was a hesitation problem not sure if this is it?

just wondered if the spark plugs could be on their way out and need changing, as i remember on my old mark 2 GTI when the weather changed to winter it was stuttering horrendously my mechanic serviced the car and it was fine he changed the sparks etc ?

thanks all any advice would be appreciated

Hi mate

Ive had it since August 2005 this strange hesitation has only happened as of this week I think apart from that the car is fine!! the car was last services almost 9000 miles ago so it is due soon well January I hope its not anything serious when the service was done in January 2006 their was no mention at VW that they did anything like the 6463 etc

No mate its not a stutter just a slight delay, I did a 100 mile round trip on the m25 m11 yesterday the car was filled with V power only 2 days ago ive been getting 31MPG driving at average speeds of 70mph no more !!but compared to Tescos super unleaded when i filled last month this is low as only a few weeks ago i was getting 36 MPG ( on Tescos ) driving conditions were similar, I need to check the MAF havent got round to it yet though as im sure if tht was affected my average MPG would be out as well I think ???

Mine's similar mileage and also has the same "stutter" was gaping holes without the 6463 update...

It started after its 1st service (20k) and seems to be almost non-existent on V-Power (30ish avg at 70) I am leaning towards the coilpacks as another car had similar symptoms but a lot worse & were the coilpacks - nothing comes up on vag-com yet so not sure

If you get to the bottom of yours at the service please let me know !

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
if you're getting 30+ mpg on an R32 I'm not suprized the car's stuttering!

Take the car for an italian tune up sharpish!

What I said was cruising at 70 I get 30... But followed your advice & put my foot down & was rewarded with a loss of forward motion (as if traction control had cut in) & a flashing orange engine light (which went out after a bit). Vagcom finally had a fault & it looks as if its No 1 Cylinder coil-pack so will post back once I have fitted a new one (VW dealer out of stock so ordered via Vagparts)

Well, replaced the coil today (thanks to Mook for pointing me at the correct cylinder) & on a short drive all the hesitation seemed to have gone so far is best 28.00 have spent on the car ! Bought a spare incase this is the beginning of a pattern...

Mine developed a similar problem after I had owned it for a bit. The 6463 update cured it. Dealers still don't like to admit it exists as it ties up a senior tech for couple of hours flashing the software. Check its had the update and then get them to hook up computer to it as could be multitude of things, including lambda sensors or even the cats on their way out as well as everything else mentioned before.

So, need to consider:

6463 (it should have this regardless of whether dealer says it needs it or not)

MAF

Coilpacks

Lambda sensor in exhaust

Cats

Hi Dan,

Has had 6463 as one of the ones really affected by it & so far 1 new coil pack & that's it. At the moment I am doing battle with the locking wheel bolts which seem to have been over-tightened when it was serviced.

Tried a jack against a wall pushing a "star" wheel brace into the bolt/key with an axle stand underneath and all it did was distort the locking key. Fortunately the bolt itself is OK so have ordered a new key from McGard - thought afterwards would have been best to have driven/braked a bit first to get the wheels warmed up.

How stupid an idea is removing all the other bolts & driving (gently) around Sainsbury's car park - I think it is the "cup" that siezes rather than the actual thread ?

I know my brothers car got a locking wheel nut seized on and when I couldn't get it off, and broke the key and the nut itself, to put on the spare after a puncture, the AA man put in a blob of metal weld epoxy in the key and put the key onto the nut, let it set and then used that to break the nut free. It worked but obviously the wheel nut was toast. I'd try and get some penetrating spray in there first to see if that helps before removing all the other nuts as this will probably add too much load to it.

Thanks - I did wonder about super gluing the new lock in to further resist it camming out - should have ordered 2 keys then if the new key doesn't work can just give it to Michedevers when it needs new tyres and say its their problem, as fortunately the key rather than the bolt itself chews up...

I recently had a battle with my McGards.

The original key just fell apart in the end, had to order a new key from McGard, took about 4days to come from Germany. Great service.

Anyway, you should try over tightening the existing 4 nuts, this will 'ease' pressure off the locking nut slightly, giving you slightly more chance of getting it off

But definatly order a replacement key from McGard anyway, they cost about £15 delivered.

Well success actually wasn't too bad with an unmolested key ! I spoke with McGard who were really helpful & explained the keys are designed to take 2.5 x the recommended torque before they let go & they said over-tightening was a big problem for them. They actually recommended using an airgun the remove the bolts but not to do them up... The bolts aren't in bad shape now, the key looks as if it has suffered a bit though so not sure if to clean them up & reuse them, buy a new set of McGards, go with the VW bolts or just put 4 "proper" bolts in on the grounds that most R32s will have wheel locks...

Mate for the sake of £30, I'd buy a new set. It's not a great deal of money, and atleast you know they are brand new, so failure will be less likely (now you've learnt things the hardway)

I went back to using the VW ones for now. My car is always garaged anyway, so I'm gonna take the risk.

Glad you sorted them though

Your right, whilst the car is parked in safe places 99% of the time I just paid 1/2 that for a puncture repair so even if they are not 100% guaranteed I would be very upset if my wheels got taken...

McGard asked for some feedback so will see if can blag a new set out of them as the "stars" are a bit worn now - especially the one that was really stuck on & order a spare key straight away.

Looking at them I think the problem is corrosion on the seat of the bolt/wheel so I think some copperslip on the backs of the bolts would help - they were quite adamant you shouldn't grease the threads as leads to over-tightening - although looking at the threads some corrosion def took place there too...