E90 Clutch Problem

floyd

Have any other 3 Series owners experienced clutch judder problems?

My 2007 320D has only covered 7000 miles!

Before BMW will remove the box, they want me to sign a form indicating I will pay if the problem is not covered by the warranty.

Seems like an easy escape route to me!! :confused:

Hi

I had a similar problem with an E46 that starting juddering after 5k miles.

The dealer was fine and replaced the clutch under warranty no problem.

The dealer themselves pointed out that even with a hamfisted driver who

slips the clutch all the time, it should have lasted more than 5k miles!!

I certainly wouldn't sign anything clearing them of responsibility! Maybe talk to BMW UK?

Hi there, just done a google search and found this thread!

I have a 55 reg 320D (E90) that's on 32,000 miles. I have taken it to BMW twice now due to the awful gear change. The first one said there was nothing wrong and the second tried to say the same but then said I may need a new clutch. The thing is, they said that if the clutch is worn beyond a certain size then I'm looking at 800 quid + which at the moment due to a baby en route and an extension being built I simply do not have to gamble!!!!

We have got the extended warranty - surely this should be covered as a clutch should last more than 32K?? What argument do I have as I do not ride the clutch and do not partake in traffic light grand prix, but that is my word against theres!!

Lastly, why are the clutches on these cars failing so early - is it to do with the CDV?? Could that be an argument for me due to bad design?

Thanks,

Mike.

• 5 months later...
Have any other 3 Series owners experienced clutch judder problems?

My 2007 320D has only covered 7000 miles!

Before BMW will remove the box, they want me to sign a form indicating I will pay if the problem is not covered by the warranty.

Seems like an easy escape route to me!! :confused:

I have a 2008 320D Touring, and first noticed this problem after only 4000 miles. The local BMW dealer tells me it is a known issue, that replacing the clutch doesn't cure the problem, and BMW hope to release a fix in April. The dealer claims they will contact me then to do the repair under warranty.

From reading this forum it seems that this is something that has afflicted BMW clutches over several different models for many years - surely BMW could have sorted this by now?

• 1 month later...

I have a 2006 320d m sport , I also had problems with clutch judder. I contacted my dealer just before my warranty was up and they replaced the clutch and flywheel no problem. This is only one of several common problems with the E90 and BMW know its a problem.

Stevie

Belfast

• 1 month later...

Also have a 2008 320D Touring.

Clutch replaced at 3000m miles for judder. It returned. Dealer told me it was needed a software fix not another clutch(as per RichardWB's post) so waited 2 months. Then advised BMW had gone off the idea. Dealer test drove it & replaced clutch & flywheel.

1000 miles later it's starting again... My typical day does not include much urban driving so the clutch doesn't see a lot of use. I am about to escalate to BMW UK.

I posted earlier in this thread regarding clutch judder. Had new clutch & flywheel and it's all returned again. I also had a broken valve spring on the variable timing mechanism which needed the top end taken apart (and the dealer didn't bother replacing the oil despite taking the top end apart - said that any broken remains of the spring would be captured by the filter!!!).

Glad mines a company motor - i'd never part with my own cash for one of these things. Generally well screwed together and feels solid but that's where it ends.

• 2 months later...

Further to my earlier post my dealer told me that BMW would not have the revised clutch software until 1 September, but we are now at 3 September and still no upgrade. The judder is getting worse so how on earth can software be responsible for a steady deterioration?

Has anyone managed to get a fix for this? What was particularly galling was that I borrowed my daughter's Skoda Fabia (don't laugh!) and the gearbox and clutch on that were absolutely fantastic compared with the BMW. I'm seriously thinking of getting rid of the BMW (my first and likely to be my last) and reverting to Audi which I have had in the past.

I don't understand how a clutch can have 'software' as it's a mechanical component and has no electronic control mechanisms.

I suspect your problems are all stemming from the dual mass flywheel, which is a common failure point for most manufacturers, a lot of whom are now dropping them, I know Nissan are now fitting solid flywheels to Navara's as they rarely last more than 15k, and you can now buy solid flywheels for most of the common VAG range.

The only way they could use 'software' to try and stop the juddering, would be to alter the mapping on the vehicles ecu and reduce the torque at the point in which the vibration occurs, a lot of diesels that have been re-mapped for more power will destroy the dual mass flywheel much quicker.

Personally I would imagine BMW (or whoever they source the flywheels from) must be working on a revised part, rather than 'software' fixes.

• 1 month later...

Hi

This is my first post but have followed this thread as I have had various issues with my car which has lead to me rejecting it.

One issue was the clutch judder, I a BMW dealer who told me they have now updated software with a fix. I asked him:

Does it work?

They have had limited joy with the update

How can software fix a mechanical judder?

It cant, the judder occurs at 900-1200 rpm so the software increases revs so that the judder does not occur. In essence just masking the problem. He intimated that the only solution may be software + new clutch and flywheel

• 7 months later...

i have a bmw 12od msport coupe which i got brand new in march this year within 2 days of having it it suffered clutch failiure!!!!!

it also attempted to start a fire and the pyrotechnic charge in the boot ditched the power to the car and would not let me out whilst the cabin filled with black acrid smoke eventually the door lock released after several pulls on the handle.

the car had the clutch and flywheel replaced and was deodourised and valeted due to the smell.

when i got it back about a week later the car was fine then 3 days later the warning sign flagged up on the dash board saying there was a problem with the brakes and the battery.

i checked in the boot and found that the dealers had left a nut off one of the battery connecters and the pyrotechnic charge had set off again and melted the one of the battery componants and then had to take it back to the dealers yet again!!!!

now 5 weeks later the clutch has failed for the second time and has been replaced so as you can imagine i am not impressed!!!!

does anyone know if this is a common fault as bmw wo'nt own up to it and say it's just mechanical failiure

• 2 months later...

Hi all frustrated bmw owners... being a woman and not knowing very much about cars, when the warning lights came on my 318 I assumed it must be a problem. So automatically rang bmw assist who said it was either a brake or similar problem but that the car was safe to drive,at the time I was in the north of England on business and live in South Wales so as you can imagine I was a bit aprehensive about driving the car. Luckily I got home and took the car into my local BMW dealer yesterday to get the problem sorted. They told me it was the brakes and that it was easily fixed, however I have had an ongoing problem with my clutch, so I asked them to look at that again as the constant juddering was really annoying. This is the third time I have asked them to look at my clutch and everytime they say the same thing,,,, Its a software problem..... so this morning they rang me back and told me the same thing again but that the update wont be ready until September... I have noticed after reading some of the other posts on here that a similar story was told to someone else?? isnt it funny that all the updates are done in September...

I am one of the lucky ones as my car is leased through my company, but the lease company have authorised them to change the clutch but they still wont do it???? What I wold like to know is how can you have software problem on a mechanical part of a car????

To top it all the girl who works on the service department told me today it must be how im driving it and that the bite point is high... What a load of C...p.... I have been driving since I was 17 and am now 40 and over the years have driven some amazing cars... I have to be honest and say if I had a choice I would not buy a BMW I really think they are overated...

Any advice from you lot out there would be great... Just to finish the lease company sent me a mercedes C250 as a replacement which I think I will keep rather than that pile of crap I have lol

• 3 weeks later...

my car is a 320d se coupe reg. march 08, 10800 miles to date,it went into the local dealer for clutch judder mileage 3000 . dealer said it needed software update, it was booked in, on picking up my car they had increased the tick over revs. car still not right ,booked back into the dealers again, this time they said it needed a modified flywheel fitted .car went in again to have work done again ,clutch felt really smooth after, like driving another car, But, 2500 miles later it starting to judder again. i think they have a big problem on their hands with these dual mass fly wheels. ive taken the car back again and had it booked in, i asked them if it was only diesels that they had problems with and they said yes. i later cancelled my appointment cars going, having a japanese motor .if the clutch or flywheel only lasts about 3000 miles it can get expesive once out of warranty. ive heard of quotes of £1500 to replace the fylwheels. will never buy a bmw again.

• 10 months later...

Had the car for 15 months and 8800 miles later had to take the car to the dealership due to clutch problems. I googled "BMW 3 Series Clutch problems" and unfortunately it looks like clutch problems have been plaguing BMWs for a long time now. When I dropped off the car at the dealership they originally told me it was going to take an hour to fix the issue. 3 days later still no car. What's concerning me from reading other post that even after they fix the problem it continues to happpen. If the same peoblem happens again with the same car this very well may be my Last BMW.