Passed.... now where do I start!

shark_90

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well done, Bike shows are also a good place to buy kit as lots of bargains + competing with each other + have all had a hard Xmas by then too. If its an "in-demand" colour etc. then discount hard to come by but "last years" colours can be very good value - helmets especially so as should really be used only for 5 years since manuf so good deals on an old scheme

Congratulations Shark. +++

How was the U turn?!!

You know too much :secret::grin:

If I was going to fail on anything, it was the U turn.. I very, very nearly lost balance but somehow managed to control it and thank feck that I did! It was really playing on my mind to be honest, but I'm sure it plays on everyone's mind!

Well done Mate! +++

So, what's the plan?

:beer:

Good question! I'm in no massive rush to buy a bike, but I don't want to hang around forever, money permitting. I'm guessing I want something between 400 and 600cc, and I want something pretty comfortable for longish rides on the motorway and I figure it could be a good tool to get me around the country which will be quicker and probably more fun and more rewarding than the car.

Looking for pointers in the right direction to be honest!

Did my test on a '96 CB500.

To be honest I thought I'd find it to be faster. I'm not a speed demon but I found it quite easy to handle where I thought I'd totally sh*t myself! To be honest it didn't really appeal to me as a bike. My instructor had a VFR600 (I think it was a 600) which I did quite like. Sounds daft but I liked the fact that it had a fuel gauge.. very handy for me as I plan to do a fair few miles if/when I do use it for work.

Money's an issue at the moment as I'm about to move house (fingers crossed) so everything I have is pretty much going into that. So I'm not going to be buying a particularly new bike, and I don't want to get something too nice or expensive, because I'm bound to drop it or something.

Well done on passing your test!

I dont think you can go wrong with any recent 600cc road bikes (ok maybe not a yamaha divvy).

Suzuki Bandit 600, Yamaha Fazer 600, Honda Hornet 600 or Suzuki SV650 (smaller bike) would all be an excellent choice to learn your trade on for 12 months....I would probably favour the Fazer - good power, good build quality, small fairing on some, close second the SV650 as it gets rave reviews but it is a slightly smaller bike.

The Honda VFR800 or 750 would be a great bike, and maybe have a bit more longevity about them for keeping you interested. fantasic build quality just dont drop it. Also avoid a VFR made after 2001 as they changed the engine valve system to VTEC and ruined the bike imo, they really did cock it up that bad! The honda would probably cost you a fair chunk more to run on servicing and fuel.

Sounds daft but I liked the fact that it had a fuel gauge.. very handy for me as I plan to do a fair few miles if/when I do use it for work.

Don't forget you get a "reserve" on the bike & often a fuel warning light if no fuel gauge so its not as risky as it may first sound - eg my Pegaso has about a gal after the fuel light comes on then another gallon when you switch to reserve so about 100 miles after the light comes on to find fuel...

Good advice, cheers +++

Been looking around for VFR's, I few people have pointed me in the direction of them. Not in a massive rush to buy so I'm looking for a winter bargain :grin:

Yes VFRs are great all-rounders and what I ought to buy really but my mileage is low enough to get something less practical

Watch the old ones especially VFs as they had a reputation for cam issues (gear driven) but I think any VFR is good as Honda sorted them out for new model do check buyer guides though ! + You'll probably get your fuel gauge...