Golf MKV gearbox problems?

Is it the O2M 6 speed? If so syncro's on second and third are kack. Had the entire gearbox replaced on my Leon Cupra R for this reason.

I don't know if it's an O2M box - it's definitely a 6 speed though.

Strangely, this seems to be an intermittent issue at the moment. Anyway, VW dealer wants the car 3 days to pull apart & investigate. That'll be 2 hours to take apart, and the rest of the time to work out how to assemble / order lost nuts & bolts!

• 1 year later...

Hi - I know this thread was started ages ago, but I have a 1.4 TSI and am having issues intermitently when I go to put my gearbox into 2nd gear - it crunches. Did any of you get to the bottom of this issue? Should I get it to a garage or is it something I can just leave?

I also have a funny noise when starting my engine, again, intermitently, and its like a rattling noise when I try to start it - it goes as soon as the engine is running - someone said it could be the duel mass flywheel...?

My car is 4 years old and now out of warranty :(

Please help!

Single White Skint Female! LOL

• 2 months later...

Was just googling around there & stumbled across this topic.

I have a 05 1.6 FSI which sprung a small oil leak a couple of weeks back (After 2-3 months of intermittent difficulty getting into 3rd, and eventually 5th).

Had a mechanic friend look at it the other day & he said there was a seal gone between the driveshaft & the gearbox which was the cause of the slow leak. He was gonna take the car in tomorrow to have a proper look & start work on it, however, the gearbox commited suicide in spectacular fashion during a 5 minute drive to the shops yesterday :( Not good! I had to park the car up & go fetch a piece of (hot) bored out metal from the road. It's now looking like I need a whole new gearbox.

Moral of the story, don't let it continue without having it checked ASAP.

• 1 month later...

I've had my GT tsi 170 for three months and it's just started having the same problem. It's just out of VW warranty but I still have the warranty from the used car dealer. He's booking me in next week for an inspection. He may be able to claim off VW as it has full VW service history.

• 1 month later...
I've had my GT tsi 170 for three months and it's just started having the same problem. It's just out of VW warranty but I still have the warranty from the used car dealer. He's booking me in next week for an inspection. He may be able to claim off VW as it has full VW service history.

Hi, Just wondered how you got on as I have same problem, thanks :(

• 2 months later...

My Golf GT Mk6 *is* in warranty, and it has been in 4 times for the same issue. The first time they changed the 1st and 2nd synchro meshes. The second time they "unseized the linkage" and adjusted the cables. The 3rd time they say they adjusted the cables and the last time said they "couldn't reproduce the issue" after we took a courtesy car and allowed a service guy to drive it 15 miles home and back.

After the last time, the service guy said it was "a positive action gearbox". I still worry I'm being fobbed off here but also worry I'm being hyper-sensitive about it. Like most of you, it's an intermittent issue - shifting to 2nd from 1st or 3rd will usually be as smooth as butter, and then anywhere between 1 and 3 times in 10 it will crunch at the end of its travel and the shifter will be shaken side to side. I wince when it happens, but they've written it off as "notchy".

• 2 months later...

I experienced exactly the same problem with my 1 year old Mk6 Golf. The shift became progressively notchier, with crunching on downshifts occurring more and more often. After describing the problem to the dealer, a faulty clutch was suspected but after removal it checked out ok. VW then instructed the dealer to dismantle the gearbox, the result of which was a decision to fit a replacement box. I haven't got the car back yet so don't know the result. Is there a recurring fault with the VW 6 speed manual?

• 4 weeks later...

Im having similar problems with my 2008 plate Golf. Its a 1.4 GT every now and then when im approaching a junction in 6th gear, when trying to put it in to 3 it wont go. Then when i try to go to 4th, 5th or back in to 6th it still wont go. Im having to slow right down then select a high gear. It only happens every now and then. I have no problems with the lower gears or going up, its only when i try to come down. Its currently at VW they are suggesting it will need a new clutch and this may or may not be covered under warranty they need to investigate further which could cost me £150! Does any one know where you would stand on warranty? its a 2008 08 model only done 24k. Thanks

• 7 months later...