Fifth Gear

Cuprabob

....And all shot on wide-angle too, making the 'Rocco look a bit more elegant than it really is.

Misleading comments about it being better than a 3-door GTI - The GTI Mk5 is no longer in production but anyway it has a much bigger boot and can seat 3 adults in the back who can see out of the car but who need to be under 6ft. I'm 6ft exactly and my head just touches the roof of the 'Rocco and there is no side view out without ducking! Tiny boot too and with very high entry aperture.

A good car but just a Golf Coupe and needs lowering, Milltek, and Revo. IMO

Thought the Golf GTI comparison comments would get the backs up a bit from the GTI owners ...............

Seriously though why would anyone now buy a 3 door GTI as I stated before in this discussion. In 5 door form it still makes sense but the annoying thing is now that there is a model that the press readily acknowledge as being better than the GTI. In my mind the GTI is still a great car but the 3 door no longer makes any sense and I suspect sales figures next year when the new model is out will prove that.

....I'm not inclined to believe something just because the Press say it. The term "better" is so subjective anyway - "Better" in what way?

The 'Rocco simply isn't as tactile to drive as an Ed30 or modified GTI - It's a while since I've driven a stock Mk5 GTI so my comparison is less accurate.

VW should have resurrected the Corrado and not the Scirocco imo, unless they bring out a more exciting version. It's a good car but rather mass market - An excellent wife's car or a single professional person perhaps. It looks superb from some angles and absolutely yuk from others imo.

VW should have done it properly and made a full-blooded coupe instead of a melted Golf compromise.

If I thought the Scirocco was 'better' than the Mk5 GTI, I'd be the first to say so, but I drove it with an open mind and didn't find it so in many ways : -

New VW Scirocco 2.0T DSG Review - First impressions....

Edited by RedRobin

RR, agree with your comment regarding the Corrado +++ They may be keeping the name for a new model which will have average performance and be well overpriced :grin:

I'm still not sure whether I like it or not as I've only seen a silver one in the flesh and not driven one. I do think they could have done more in the inside to differentiate it from the Golf and looks out of date compared to the MK6 interior.

I'll wait and see what "sportier" models appear in the future but the way my finances are going the next one may be a Fox

Robin,

well I have decided to take the stock model my dealer had in last week and you will be pleased to know it is already booked for a visit to the lads at APS to do their magic in conjunction with fruitier soundtrack courtesy of messrs Milltek and bit of lowering from KW. :grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

Will keep you all informed as to how my new relationship goes. +++

Robin,

well I have decided to take the stock model my dealer had in last week and you will be pleased to know it is already booked for a visit to the lads at APS to do their magic in conjunction with fruitier soundtrack courtesy of messrs Milltek and bit of lowering from KW.

Will keep you all informed as to how my new relationship goes. +++

....Great!! If you don't know already, Ed at APS will look after your needs well.

I'm really looking forward to seeing your pics and hearing your first impressions!

+++:cool:+++

Red,

i know Ed well as he did all the current mods on the MkV. Siburts golf was the donor car for all the hardware as he converted his back to standard when he sold it and offered all the suspension and exhaust with around 10,000 miles for a very reasonable price. VW kindly did an ECU upgrade which overwrote the remap and Ed kindly remapped again for no charge.

Anybody umming and arring about using APS can rest assured they re a totally professional outfit run by petrolheads who adore anything VW or Audi.

Will keep you all posted and do a before and after comparison once the work is completed, clearly with a new vehicle aftermarket products may take some time to come to market. +++

....I'm not inclined to believe something just because the Press say it. The term "better" is so subjective anyway - "Better" in what way?

I think i have heard this all before somewere in the press. lets see if i can remember. Oh thats right 'lower centre of gravity.. blah blah blah.....etc etc...." "the Scirroco is better than GTI...." thats right i remember now mK1 gti V scirocco.

I remember similar coments and comparisons to mk2 GTI and corrado too. Just the corrado had the problem of price.

Heard it all before, its nothing new, don't you just love the press. They do like to compare there oranges to apples.

I think i have heard this all before somewere in the press. lets see if i can remember. Oh thats right 'lower centre of gravity.. blah blah blah.....etc etc...." "the Scirroco is better than GTI...." thats right i remember now mK1 gti V scirocco.

I remember similar coments and comparisons to mk2 GTI and corrado too. Just the corrado had the problem of price.

Heard it all before, its nothing new, don't you just love the press. They do like to compare their oranges to apples.

....So it's really just a load of fruit salad / old fruit, rather than a load of bollox :grin:

Red,

Milltek are indeed working on a full system for the scirocco, how do I know ? Well because I picked my Scirocco up on Friday afternoon and dropped it off to Milltek on Monday morning to use as their development vehicle. Expect the product to be available within a couple of weeks, Cat back first with downpipe to follow shortly afterwards. The standard rear bumper will just about accomodate twin 90mm pipes a la Ed30 offering.

As for the car, well I drove the 120 odd miles to Derby up the Fosse Way all the way to the A5 before joining the motorway. I would say that it feels very comparable to my MKv which had a full suspension upgrade on it, very sharp turn in, steering weight being very good. I played with the ACC and the changes although subtle were noticeable but it will live its life in sport mode unless the kids are in it for a long journey which is unlikely as we have a "mummy bus" for those journeys.

Is there anything I don't like ? well yes, 2 things spring to mind. Firstly the rear view mirror is tiny and because of its position and the cars slope down to the back, when you look out the rear view mirror you cannot see too far behind, thankfully the wing miirrors are excellent which helps somewhat. Secondly, the brake pedal in the DSg model feels much higher than the accelerator in so much as when you lift off to brake you really notice having to bend your knee to get your foot back to cover the pedal. Once you do hit the pedal though, OMG :eek:, this thing has immense brakes compared to the Golf.

Oh, and it doesn't half turn heads. :P