It’s a sad time for the GTI – price help and suggestions to next car

oxfordlad

Had my GTI 2 years now, loved every second of it, however I have got a new job where I am able to have a company car. Because I purchased the GTI outright in full it makes sense financially to sell the GTI, bank the cash and use my CC allowance to purchase a new car (company services it, pays petrol + insurance etc).

So I need to sell the GTI in the next few months, spec is the following:

Production MY 2007 (registration 06)

3 Door

Flat Black

18” Monza II

Cruise

MF2D DVD sat nav

IPOD prep

Arm rest

Highline

Turbo Back Milltek

Great condition, 2 years old, 34,000 miles in total. Any ideas on price?

So the next car? Well seriously considering a sportback S3 in sprint blue, but need to test drive some other cars first too, MK6 GTI will just take too long to arrive. Any other suggestions? (C Class, 3 series coupe?) budget of 28k, has to be new

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have to take a company car? The personal tax on it is a killer. Unless you spend over £95 a month on personal petrol (i.e. not on business travel) then don't even think about the company paying fuel - you'll end up paying more in tax than it's personally worth.

PS - probably not what you wanted to hear anyway...

Well, the only guideance is that it has to have 4 seats, can be 2 doors. So could have a TT, A5 etc if I wanted...

Its a personal car ownership policy that is company run, so they pay for the car out of my allowance and I own the car over a period of time, this removes the company car tax burden as I own the vehicle. Fleet services pay for fuel, servicing etc etc and I claim business mileage.

Doing the rough maths it would not make sense to keep the GTI going, better off selling it and using the company car money to get a new one.

After nearly 2 years of Gti ownership then a year in an R32, i am seriously thinking about getting another Gti. Prices are still high even if there real world value has dropped. What i mean is the dealer will pay £8k px then stick it up at £13k. The real price is £10-£11k but the bloody stealers are trying to make too much profit.

Hi oxfordlad,

You may find the new Scirocco a bit too bland in standard factory form - A good car but lacking excitement - a bit too 'factory' - New VW Scirocco 2.0T DSG Review - First impressions....

Also, though quattro and everything which is good about Audi's, I reckon you'd find the S3 also a bit lacking compared with the GTI unless you spend even more money and modify it.

I'm not saying that the Mk5 GTI is the best car in the world, but if you like it, it's a very hard act to follow.

If you're saying you can't afford to keep the GTI, then how can you afford these newer motors? If you still like the GTI, why sell it? You lose money on any car, so why be that bothered?

Also, though quattro and everything which is good about Audi's, I reckon you'd find the S3 also a bit lacking compared with the GTI unless you spend even more money and modify it.

I know you're a GTi lover Robin, but I'm surprised to hear you say that anyone would find the S3 "lacking" compared to a GTi. I've not driven a GTi for any length of time but the S3 wiped the floor with it in my opinion.

Both were remapped.

I know you're a GTi lover Robin, but I'm surprised to hear you say that anyone would find the S3 "lacking" compared to a GTi. I've not driven a GTi for any length of time but the S3 wiped the floor with it in my opinion.

Both were remapped.

....I see your point and my statement was a bit sweeping. I perhaps should have said in terms of tactile feel as a drive rather than in out and out performance (regarding the Mk5 btw).

Oxfordlad, I assume that you have the option of taking cash and providing your own car.

Given the current market, I would seek to take the cash option for 12 months and then sell your GTI and take a company car.

Assuming you will get about £500 per month allowance, you would save approximately £6k in 12 months - your GTI will not lose £6k in 12 months.

I know it's tempting when you have the opportunity to have some shiny new metal handed to you but the above method may perhaps make better finanacial sense (and avoid co. car tax which would be significant on a S3!)

RR- its not a question of having the money, my basic pay has gone up considerably and the bonus opportunity is substantial. However taking the cash option and running my GTI would mean I loose money given the discussions I have had with the company, plus I have to pay for everything on the car too.

I have not come across a policy like this as you actually own the car after a period of time and as a result are not burdened with CCtax.

Going to speak with the fleet guys next week to see what the crack is and get more information.

The GTI is great, suits all my needs, but over the next 2 years I am going to need a 5 door due to the possibility of a nipper.

I test drove the S3 last week RR and I was very impressed, the GTI ride felt a lot "saggier" afterwards and a lot less grippy (obv the S3 has Quattro). The extra power (265) gave it a significant extra punch and the cabin was an improvment yet everything was familiar - one would say a logical progression. Also in sprint blue the revised S3 looks superb.

I test drove the S3 last week RR and I was very impressed, the GTI ride felt a lot "saggier" afterwards and a lot less grippy (obv the S3 has Quattro). The extra power (265) gave it a significant extra punch and the cabin was an improvment yet everything was familiar - one would say a logical progression. Also in sprint blue the revised S3 looks superb.

Having driven my new S3 Sportback for a week now, I can say it definitely isn't lacking compared to the GTI.

The GTI provides a little more feedback through the steering wheel and might be classed as a little more fun, but it depends on what you mean by fun.

The S3 handles very neutrally and steering is on the light side at lower speeds, but grip is absolutely immense. Really immense. Neck busting-ly so. The GTI isn't a patch in this regard. I'd assume this is down to a combination of quattro and the fact it corners flatter than the GTI. The ride is a bit firmer, but not too crashy or uncomfortable.

I'd heard the S3 feels nose heavy and has a tendency to understeer, which is apparently down to the quattro/Haldex system, but I don't feel this is the case, certainly not with the revised system in the facelift. It feels very nimble, while feeling like a bigger car than the GTI.

I'm still running in so I can't give it full beans, but I'm impressed with it as a driving machine so far. I'm sure I'll learn more about the cars characteristics over the coming weeks and months.

The interior is beautiful and feels higher quality than the GTI due to better plastics etc., and I'd agree on your thoughts about it feeling like a logical progression oxfordlad.

oxfordlad - Yep, I know nothing about either company car ownership or car finance - I've always bought a car outright in one payment.

A mate on Biali Motorsport has a modified Sprint Blue S3 and the colour is superb. He's offered me a drive when we next meet : -

Jamie_S3RED.jpg

It'll be interesting to see how she compares with my modified GTI - Both his view and mine.

+++

Metalex - Definitely a natural progression from the GTI. At 61yo I'm not sure I'm feeling so grown-up yet! :grin:

Is your 2009 S3 Sportback an S-tronic version?

You got pics posted somewhere?

+++

Well, I didn't mean logical progression in terms of being grown up, because I haven't grown up either! Not sure what oxfordlad meant. If I'd grown up, I'd probably have got an A3 2.0T S line instead.

Nope, it's a manual version. I don't think S tronics are on the road yet. I think you can order them, but I believe it will be well into next year before deliveries start.

I took some photos a couple of days back but wasn't that happy with them, as it was getting dark. However, I'll post them here later on today hopefully.

Metalex - agree totally with the S3 drive as you have described it. In terms of progression I meant, in terms of power, build, drive etc, not getting older. I am currently 27 years old.

I was speaking to the Audi guy and he was saying that they have not yet found a way to put DSG in the S3 yet due to space. I would opt for a manual anyway.

certainly would love to see pictures, and RR let me know how the drive goes.

Metalex - what options did you go for? I was thinking sat nav (poss), folding wing mirrors, ipod

Metalex - what options did you go for? I was thinking sat nav (poss), folding wing mirrors, ipod

I went for iPod connection, mobile phone prep (well worth it), folding mirrors, light and rain sensor pack and interior light pack.

I wanted to get the spec to the same as my GTI was.

The iPod connection works exactly the same as it does in the GTI, i.e. it's not great, but it gets the job done.

The sat nav looks like a great piece of kit, but apparently you can get it much cheaper elsewhere. There are people that can retrofit it for around half the price than on the options list.