Bought new pads but not sure if they're the right ones

Oli18

Hi guys,

I have just purchased a set of new pads for the front...they have part number 4d0698151S.

2870650962_43d3bd2493.jpg

However, looking back through some emails with Dean Hill he mentioned the part i needed was 4d0698151R....

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if i've bought the wrong ones or whether the 'S' series are still ok?

Many thanks,

Oli

Oil I was told by one stealer's parts department dubee that the last letter doesn't realy make too much difference and that it had something to do with when the part was made; personaly I don't think this is the case all the time.

Best bet is to phone up the stealer tomorrow and check with him. Give the parts guy the part number you have and say you bought them but weren't sure if they were right for the car; you quote the part numbers then they'll say yes or no otherwise their under instruction not to dish out part no. apparently?!? :confused:

Both of those numbers come up in ETKA for a 2000 QS on the floating caliper set up so I guess they should be OK;)

Slowwy have you started getting the squeal of death yet?:ffs: I'm pretty gutted I missed out on those too.:ffs::ffs:

post-5048-137914421411_thumb.jpg

I'm glad that someone on the forum got them.

Hey slowwy1, and sorry i outbid you but at £46 incl P&P vs £116 from the stealers i thought it was worth a punt ;-)

Ska - Thanks for the advice +++ i've just called Audi and the 'S' version in actually a US part and wasn't meant for the EU market. I reckon it will be ok so will give it a go when i change them in the next few weeks and let you know how it goes.

Thanks,

Oli

Hey slowwy1, and sorry i outbid you but at £46 incl P&P vs £116 from the stealers i thought it was worth a punt ;-)

Ska - Thanks for the advice +++ i've just called Audi and the 'S' version in actually a US part and wasn't meant for the EU market. I reckon it will be ok so will give it a go when i change them in the next few weeks and let you know how it goes.

Thanks,

Oli

Hey Oli if youre ever doing work in Swindon at the weekends and need another hand just yell, be happy to help when I can (i run on beer and coffee lol)

Hi Architex,

Thanks for the offer mate and i might take you up on it for the brakes. I'm stayin' in London this weekend so am going to try and replace the Transmission Output

Flange Seal (this job). I have all the parts for it now and all the equipment (2tonne ramps & axle stands etc) so am keen to get under the car. I've got a mate to help me out so that's cool.

If anyone near W/SW London is interested in helping/learning, you're more than welcome to join on saturday....always room for a spare pair of hands :grin: and also cool to meet new A8 owners interested in doing this sort of stuff! +++

-Oli

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Well, i've had a productive and fun morning today.

I spent the best part of 4hrs fitting the front brake pads i bought 4 weeks ago and some near new discs that I got from an A8 that had been broken.

I have never done anything like this before and when it comes to mechanics I am a complete newby. Changing my own brake pads and discs is something i've always wanted to do and i thought that as the weather was looking good, i'd give it a shot today.

So i used Paul Waterloo's guides (thanks paul! +++):

Front Pad Replacement - Dual Piston Design to see how i can replace the brake pads and

Replacing Front Pads and Rotors - Single Piston Design to see how to remove the caliper and change the discs

It was really good fun doing it yourself. I did get stuck though on both the front wheels and it was at the stage of trying to take the calipers off. Not that i'm an expert but these are 2 things i learned...

1. In order to take the calipers off, you have to undo the 21mm bolts that hold it in place. They are in an awkward position and a real pig to get off and if you attempt to do it, make sure you have good tools....i managed to snap off 2 ratchet heads using some cheap tools i bought a few years back.

2. Undoing the caliper bolts isn't just a case of getting the right sized sprocket. There isn't a lot of room in the wheel arch to maneuver and if you can extend your ratchet by using a metal pipe over it or if you're lucky enough to have a longer ratchet like paul has in his picture, the job will be soooooooo much easier as you get a lot more torque on the bolt.

frontbrakes7.JPG

Source: audipages Home

Apart from this it took me a little while to realise that once the caliper is off, the only thing holding the disc in place is rust....so it's ok to give it a good whack until it just pops off :D

So, all in all, really pleased with the result. The car brakes much better already and the new pads have only done about 12 miles today. High speed braking has improved MASSIVELY and there is no longer a judder which i had mildly before.

From a cost point of view, i paid £46 for the pads, £40 for the discs and i did the work myself so £86 in total.

Had i bought the pads and discs from audi, they would have set me back £116 and £155 respectively and I was quoted £53 in labour by a local garage...so a total of £324...

Total savings... £238!!!

And the best thing of all is that i had a fun time doing it and it was very satisfying....especially when you compare the old brake pads with the new....

2951429773_1bc662a932.jpg

2952280776_5d25d6e7c3.jpg

and the setup complete...

2952281574_30bba1111c.jpg

If anyone's ever interested in trying it without previous knowledge, don't be put off by the lack of experience. It's remarkably easy when you don't have a stubborn set of caliper bolts! :roflmao:

-Oli

Edited by Oli18

Nice one Oli, You've got the same set up as me. I remember those bolts holding the caliper were a night mare; so I jacked the car up as high as I dare then used a mounth extension and stood on it to turn the bolt!

I notice you didn't copper grease up the pad backing?

There is another brake set up, IIRC that are very similar in design that don't require the calipers to be removed you just slide the new pads in proly takes 1/2hour to do.

Hi Ska,

I also jacked the car up as high as possible and did the standing thing on the front left which was a great method. The annoying thing was that it didn't work on the other side as the setup is reversed and you don't get the same amount of room...but perseverence paid off! ;-)

I hadn't read anywhere about copper grease so may have to take the wheels off again and add it. How essential is it?

If i didn't have to change the discs and had just changed the pads, i wouldn't have needed to take the calipers off...changing pads, like you say, would be a lot more straighforward....it's remarkably easy considering things.

I now have neighbours coming up to me asking me about what's wrong with their car just because they see me doing stuff to my car all the time.....haven't got a clue though! :roflmao:

-Oli

I don't think it's essential just good practice especialy if you get brake sqeal, so I wouldn't bother unless it starts to but some how I doubt it will OE pads!

Tell your nieghbours you know exactly whats wrong with their cars... Its not an A8!

I hadn't read anywhere about copper grease so may have to take the wheels off again and add it. How essential is it?

-Oli

Well done with the change Oli - Im sure the copper grease it more an anti squeal thing than anything else on the back of the pads where the pistons apply pressure, so you may want to wait and see if you get squeal and then do it? (unless of course you want to get your neighbours talking again!)

Well done with the change Oli - Im sure the copper grease it more an anti squeal thing than anything else on the back of the pads where the pistons apply pressure, so you may want to wait and see if you get squeal and then do it? (unless of course you want to get your neighbours talking again!)

Hey neil & Ska - No squeel at all :D so i think i'll leave it for now!

Harpersimon - i may be doing the rears in the new year so if you have any tips, please feel free to share +++

-Oli

Rears are a load easier than fronts.. The only 'golden rule' I would give is to bu the wind-back tool. Should be able to get it from a motor factors for about 15 quid.

Saved me a shedload of hassle, did both side of the rear in about 40 mins with the wind-back tool.

You could use one, but you have to turn the caliper at the back. not just push it in.

The tool sits in two grooves on the piston and allow it to turn neatly while being on a screw thread themselves to push it in. Without that, you need a pipe wrench or similar with the C-Clamp and can easily rip the rubber boot if you slip. For the time that takes and the hassle (seen my brother in law trying to so the same on his Sharan) it's well worth 15 quid.

• 2 months later...

Oli did you get a defecto part number for the brake pads. I have the '4 each side' small ones on the front of mine, looking the same as the pic of the ones you bought - which is a surprise to be fair as I was expecting just single large pads each side, not 4 with what look like dual pistons..

Is this normal!?

Hey harpersimon,

If i managed to do it not having ever done it before mate so should you. I just followed the audipages instructions and it was easy enough to do the pads. The tricky bit comes when you do the discs too...it's not difficult but the caliper bolts may need some persuading.

Good luck +++

-Oli

do you know of any online store that sells lucas pads?

Oli u got them at a great price btw

if anyone feels like going oem

check this site Bremsbelag - AUDI A8 (4D2, 4D8) S 8 quattro (select your own model, year and go Bremsanlage->Scheibenbremse->Bremsbelag) and you can find a wide variety of options with the manufacturer part number to look it up locally.

Edited by a8a6rs2