Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
davyk31

Previous model X5 - good used buy?

13 posts in this topic

The prices of used X5s are getting very tempting. Have seen a few of the LeMan Blue Sport special editions at tempting prices. Think the larger wheels on these keep them a bit fresher looking. In today's climate are they still financial suicide or are they a great used buy? Couple of examples are a late 05 with 45k for £19.5k and a 2006 model with 23k miles for £21k.

Anyone any idea of what these are worth trade and are they hated now by the trade? Does being the older model also mean they should be avoided ?

Hi mate, previous shape X5 3.0d holds its value well.

Serious bargains to be had if you want a 4.4 or 4.8 petrol. You can virtually half the prices you quoted above.

Nothing wrong with the older model. One of the nicest 4x4s to drive on a daily basis.

Not sure you could say any X5 are holding their value well at the moment......... my dealer has a 330d and a X5 3.0d Lemans Blue Special Edition with ALL the toys, similar miles, exact same price. The X5 would have been a lot more expensive new. Question is what does the next 6 months hold for the value of big jeeps??

Must admit I am taking a look at x5s they are looking decent value at the moment but then again so is everything...

I'm still having a look about for one, I am quite particular about the spec I want and that limits the choice but there are def some X5s out there in dealers where they are very keen to sell them. I have seen some with prices chopped by about 5 grand over a few weeks. A low mileage 06 full spec X5 for around 20k has to be decent value in my opinion.

We got offered a trade in on our 03 X5 4.4i.

40k, owned from new..

£7.5k! - There's bargains to be had.

I looked at a mid 06 3.0d x5 sport with pretty high spec last week, nav, tv, full leather, parking sensors phone prep etc etc.

£18k before you even started haggling.

It had done less than 20k 1 owner was from a main bmw dealer so 12 months warranty as well.

Had just been serviced, decent colour combo. Problem is you dont really want a post March 06 car as you are paying £400 ved, maybe not a problem for you but it defeinately will be when it comes time to sell.

Pre march 06 cars unlikely ever to be increased to that sort of level ved, its been defered till after the next general election and any party comming into power knows how unpopular it is to do this stuff retrospectively now.

Huge amount of car for the money I have gone off the idea a bit having had a play in one though. Does not seem as huge as a rr sport or a q7 but its still a big wallowing beast. Now thinking a6 or maybe 5 series estate (no where near as hideous as the saloon)

Edited by alera

Was the car in a main dealer or independent or private? What colour exterior and interior? Sounds well priced for sure.

Main dealer. Silver with black leather. Even if I still wanted one I wouldnt buy it as cheap as it is, you keep it for 2 years and its going to be worth £10k max. The problem then is someone going to want to pay £450 ved on a car costing that much on top of the other high running costs. I dont think so.

Much better to get a pre march 06 or a late 05. Also got to say the pre faclift cars are looking a bit dated. They were desperate to shift it. I honestly believe the would have taken £16k cash for it.

Edited by alera

Yep agree with a lot of what you say. In a couple of years its hard to see the market for these cars unless people realise the bargain they are getting. Running and maintenance costs will always be high on this type of vehicle. The thing is that I am currently sitting with a 3.0D X3 which is a fantastic vehicle but will be exactly the same problem to sell in a couple of years as an X5 so my logic kinda says that I am no worse off with an X5 so might as well take a chance if i see one at a decent price.

The one you looked at i assume did not have the Sport Plus pack so didn't have the 20" wheels and wider arches. These ones I feel still look a bit fresher compared to the smaller wheeled models but yes they all are dating a bit. However new model X5s are still holding up in the prices and have a long way to drop and I do not want to be the one taking the drop.

Im currently looking to purchase one but dont seem to be able to find any decent models/prices anywhere near where I live. Does anyone have any suggestions on where are the best places in the south east?

Im happy to drive pretty much anywhere in the country but would rather not for a possible view and dislike!

Looking for a Grey 2005+ anything upto £20k with low milage.

Any suggestions much appreciated.+++

In my experience mate, the further away from London you go the cheaper they seem to become. +++

Thanks, think im going to auction now with a friend so hopefully a good deal to be had +++