'Grassing up' a Speeder ?

theduisbergkid

Back in Aug I sold my old 5 series on EBay, guy paid cash, collected form my home address, left in a real hurry. I realised that I hadn't completed the V5, and called him, no reply. So, knowing the car was SORN, I faxed DVLA to inform them I was no longer the owner as I didn't want any comeback. Didn't think any more about it.

Then, I start getting NIPs from various Speed Camera Teams right across the UK, 3 with a nice letter saying 'we know you don't own the car anymore, but who does ?', and another from Scotland claiming it was me driving. I called Scotland cops who said 'oops, its not you, but who was it ?'. I believe there's more NIPs in the pipeline. Talking to someone in the know, there has been a lot of Police interest in my old car, I understand the guy is pretty 'heavy'. He knows my name and home address... :(

I must now complete some paperwork to assist the BiB. I have the guys (rather distinctive) name, mobile and email address. Do I 'grass him' up ? Head says yes, heart worries about him turning up on my doorstep...

Answers on a postcard...

If he's "very heavy" then I imagine they won't be chasing him for some speeding tickets, but will use the information to build a bigger case. I also imagine you won't be let off the NIPs if you don't supply the details.

Go have a word with plod and get yourself into witness protection :secret:

Back in Aug I sold my old 5 series on EBay, guy paid cash, collected form my home address, left in a real hurry. I realised that I hadn't completed the V5, and called him, no reply. So, knowing the car was SORN, I faxed DVLA to inform them I was no longer the owner as I didn't want any comeback. Didn't think any more about it.

Then, I start getting NIPs from various Speed Camera Teams right across the UK, 3 with a nice letter saying 'we know you don't own the car anymore, but who does ?', and another from Scotland claiming it was me driving. I called Scotland cops who said 'oops, its not you, but who was it ?'. I believe there's more NIPs in the pipeline. Talking to someone in the know, there has been a lot of Police interest in my old car, I understand the guy is pretty 'heavy'. He knows my name and home address... :(

I must now complete some paperwork to assist the BiB. I have the guys (rather distinctive) name, mobile and email address. Do I 'grass him' up ? Head says yes, heart worries about him turning up on my doorstep...

Answers on a postcard...

Sounds like he knew what he was doing. And purposely 'forgot' or put you off filling in the details.

I was pretty miffed he left me to pick up the pieces re the speeding, which would add up to a ban, good job I faxed DVLA on the day I sold the car...

Mook, this is my concern, if I give the details he'll know they came from me. No-one else is connected with the car and DVLA only know it used to belong to me. I am the only person who can pin him to the car.

I'm not considering witness protection, 3 small kids, small business to run, f*ck that. Anyway, I don't think I quality for simply suppling info relating to some speeding offences, despite what the 'bigger picture' may be.

I'm going to do it, who knows what else the cnut might have done (and should be locked up for), having a Police Inspector and an Ex Boxing champ as neighbours means we don't get much bother in our street anyway ;)

Couldn't you just tell the DVLA who you sold it to, (which surely your are entitled/obliged to do). and in all innocence you could have done so on day one.

and if they then pass on the information to the police then it's hardly your fault is it???

There is a difference in you just simply grassing him up, and him pretty much fitting you up for crimes you haven't committed.

:confused:

Personally I think I'd pass on the details to DVLA.....

Doesn't really matter whether you tell the police or DVLA or indeed how much you tell them. If he thinks you've 'grassed him up' none of that will decide whether he comes knocking.

I'd be 90% certain he won't bother you, either because he has bigger things to worry about or because he realises it'd only get him in deeper trouble.

So tell the police what they want to know, and mention the story in passing to your neighbours - just in case. ;)

Surely even with a SORN you would have been LEGALLY obliged to pass on the new registered keeper / owners details.

If you knew his name and address I'm 'confused' as to why you didn't pass this information on at sale- or allowing for some 'ignorance' when the 1st NIP arrived at your door step.

Problem now isn't just the 'face' but the fact that disclosing the details now, when you've had them for months is just as likely to get you in to trouble with the Police for non disclosure :ffs:

Doesn't really matter whether you tell the police or DVLA or indeed how much you tell them. If he thinks you've 'grassed him up' none of that will decide whether he comes knocking.

I'd be 90% certain he won't bother you, either because he has bigger things to worry about or because he realises it'd only get him in deeper trouble.

So tell the police what they want to know, and mention the story in passing to your neighbours - just in case. ;)

Job done. If they call for me as a witness, it'll cost 'em ;)

If you knew his name and address I'm 'confused' as to why you didn't pass this information on at sale- or allowing for some 'ignorance' when the 1st NIP arrived at your door step.

Problem now isn't just the 'face' but the fact that disclosing the details now, when you've had them for months is just as likely to get you in to trouble with the Police for non disclosure :ffs:

Reading the OP, it looks as though TDK only has the fella's email address?

Reading the OP, it looks as though TDK only has the fella's email address?

Correct, Chri5, I sold on EBay, he preferred cash on collection to paypal and didn't give any personal details. I did have his email, mobile and full name, plus I know which county he lives in, thats all. The car had been SORN for a couple of months before I sold it (sat on the drive surplus to requirements). I forgot to tear off the 'sellers' part of the V5 before he left with the car, so I faxed the DVLA the same day saying "I've flogged it to some bloke called XYZ please amend your records", that is all. The NIP and Police stuff started arriving a few weeks later, the guy obviously had no intention of registering it in his own name, and thought I would pick up the tab.

Oh, a bit of research this afternoon gives me his home address, but I've already sent off what I know to the various Police depts who contacted me. I'm sure 2 minutes of Googling by CID will find him. ;)

• 1 month later...

For anyone interested in the outcome - after getting 2 or 3 NIPs a week for the last few months, they now appear to have stopped. The Safety Camera team didn't seen able/interested in doing any more than posting out fines.... I arranged for the local BiB to pay him a visit. I don't know the outcome but I won't be getting any more speeding tickets thats for sure :grin: