How many have been sucessful with Monza II white worm warranty claims?

jamiey

Hi all,

Car's just about to go in for a Service which is just short of the 3 yr warranty running out.

Doing a pre-service inspect -I've noticed that three of the wheels have white worm corrosion around the wheel nets.

In fact the only wheel not have it is one that had to be replaced after my wife had dive off the road to avoid a truck which was on her side of the road.

What sucess have people had with claiming this on the warranty for this?

Sorry I don't have photos handy as I'm at work.

It seems like the dreaded white worm tends to "attack" cars 2 years old and beyond. The laquer must deteriorate at about this stage in the car's life. I've replaced 2 for originals but that's only due to slight kerbing from ridiculously high kerbs in central Edinburgh!

I had all four of my Monza II's replaced within the 3 yr warranty AND I also managed to get my rear silencer changed as the tail pipe tips started to rust - they refused at first but then I pointed out that they are classed as 'Trim' items and they agreed.

I now have an ED 30 with the Pescara 18's on and these so far seem to be corossion free.

Happy days.

Hi Mate,

See the post i started "Monza 2 differences"

I had 3 with corrosion and one kurbed (the only one without corrosion), all 4 were replaced under warrenty with no q's asked, however, i feel these were replaced with re-furbs opposed to new which is supposed to be the case when your car is within the 1st and 2nd year warrenty. I was told if the car was within its 3rd year of warrenty then they would be replaced with refurbs.

Cheers

Paul

Hi robss1977

hope this dosen't sound rude, are you sure VW don't refurb monza 2's. I queried this with the workshop after they were fitted, although they said they were new and the part numbers indicated so (apparently they have an "x" at the end if they are refurbs) my gut feel is that they are, there are a few slight blemishes in the laquar and in places almost like there are imperfections. Also as someone mentioned in my previous thread, Ronal have been the manufacturer for monzas for a while which were originally fitted to my car but the replacements are BBS which was leading me to think they were older wheels refurbished.

Cheers

Paul

I'm positive they don't do refurbs,there are 3 part numbers for Monza's 1K0601025AH (BBS) and 1K0601025AM BBS which were fitted upto about 2007 then 1K0601025BA (Ronal) which have been fitted since. If your car is close to the change then there is every chance they just fitted the wrong ones,on the imperfections i don't know how bad yours are but i have seen quite a few brand new BBS Monza's with very slight dimples or imperfections in the Laquer.

My VW service agent said you'll have to go to another dealer who had a bodyshop as they could make the call about the wheels as they didn't have the facilites...

I'm not sure I'll be able to do that as I can't take any time off work to go to another dealer.

Somewhat annoyed.

My VW service agent said you'll have to go to another dealer who had a bodyshop as they could make the call about the wheels as they didn't have the facilites...

Which one did you try, Gorgie Road or the one near Fort Kinnaird?

It was Witherspoon's out at Sighthill.

Who are only a Service Agent and don't do sales.

They have usually been excellent.

I'm going to see if I can get my wife to drop in to the Fort Kinnard Western, as every time I've gone near the Gorgie Road branch they have been totally useless.

As in not having wiper blades in stock or when we were looking to buy arranging a test drive for a certain time and then when we turned up discovering there was no car and the salesmen I spoke to was on holiday.

We actually bought from Central VW in Grangemouth on a recommendation and they were good (they have since gone bust).

I've used the Gorgie Road dealer for my 10k service and just recently for my year 2 service (only 15k) and found them to be most fine. That said, for the 15k service, I was quoted £135 (oil change, filter change, sump drain plug, washer fluid + labour) and when I collected the bill was just over £200. I walked away having paid £140, so can't complain. On both ocassions I've left notes in the windows stating "No Valeting or Washing" as you hear horror stories...

Might try Witherspoons though for my brake fluid change...

Just got a text from my Wife.

She's been to Western Ft. Kinnard and replacement wheels will be ordered today under warranty.

Which is nice as the 3 yr warranty runs out on Sunday.

Odd question is it the new car or the corrosion warranty this is covered by... anyone know?

Edited by jamiey

• 11 months later...

I have had my GTI for just over 2 years now and the dreaded milky worms have been appearing on 3 of the wheels (Monza II's) over quite a few months - one in particular is getting bad (will post pics).

Decided to speak to the only VW dealer I think I can trust in Scotland and straight away they admitted that this was a known problem but tell me that they cannot replace them without an OK from VW. Allbeit a known problem with these wheels they apparently need to be sent to VW to check and ok the replacement, stands to reason I suppose.

although...

My car has no wheels for up to 3 weeks !?!

No offer of a courtesy !?!

An idea that they may be able to give me temp wheels but not sure !?!

I should have known this would not be a simple issue for VW to sort out. I do not doubt they will be changed but this is a product on the car that is not up to the job and should in my opinion be replaced and then sent for inspection at VW, the vehicle was still in its 2nd year of warranty when I spoke to them.

Any comments on the process, it would appear I have to follow, or has anyone found it easier to get their wheels replaced on warranty?

ta.

Welcome to TSN, RGTI :beer:

I'm intrigued to learn where the only VW dealer you trust is in this fine land? When I had my MKV GTi, the place I trusted was Witherspoons in Edinburgh. Where you based? I was OCD about my GTi and Monza's so never got the dreaded white worm, but it is a common fault and a well versed one here on TSN +++