M3 Exhaust Upgrade

allanon_1980

Hi ya,

I have thought of doing the same... but it's not a cheap upgrade and I'm not convinced it will sound how I'd like it too... which is deeper, throatier and not a F1 car on full chat.

BMSport quoted me for a cat-back STREET (TUV approved) SUPERSPRINT system £1,365 +vat fitted, or £1,030 +vat for the RACE version (LOUD!).

They are looking to try and get a local exhaust fabricator to do a custom cat-back solution, which would be much cheaper.

I'm upgrading the audio system and having a BMW Performance steering wheel fitted instead... will think about the exhast again next year.

How you finding the E92 M3?

+++

• 1 month later...

Calling Milltek chavvy is going a bit OTT I think. Chavvy exhausts are the 20 quid crazy frog sounding jobbies you see on Peugeot 106's that look like rusty dustbins, and have been fitted - albeit very badly - by the 17 year old who drives it.

Milltek, Tubi Style etc are all in a league of their own. Hence why they cost so much. To hear the Tubi is best isn't surprising though tbh.

It's meant to be loud though, that's the point of it - Loud and Vicious. The standard tubes aren't exactly quiet at full tilt though. That goes for both the M3 and R32.

Mine was measured as 95dB at 6000rpm at Brands the other week. There is a sweet spot for noise with the M3, it's around 1,800-2,500rpm with a fair amount of throttle on there is a lovely growl that just dissapears. Partly it's induction but I wish it was there for a wider range. That's what I want out of an aftermarket exhaust... louder at low revs, same at high revs (which 8000rpm in a V8 is pretty bloody loud!)

BTW: Milltek on Audi V8's are very very nice... I loved my B6 S4 with resonated catbacks

The Milltek Catback systems on my MkV R32, was way too loud + dron at 2000/rpm... And rust after 24 weeks!

I disagree. The non-resonated is clealy louder than the resonated, but neither system is way too loud or chavvy. Far from it. Milltek have invested in serious money to produce a stylish sound track adored by many a performance car fanatic. I'm not saying other manufacturers haven't, but to say the a Catback Milltek on a MKIV .:R is too loud, is a bold and quite frankly mad statement. :)

I have had the Tubi fitted on my E92 M3 for about a month now and can highly recommend it. It has transformed the car and the exhaust totally suits the character of it.

On start up the exhaust sounds much better, deep and bassy. The best comparison would be SL55AMGish. This continues at low revs up to about 2.5 - 3k. Then the bassyness drops and the pitch changes to an eventual howl. It was exactly as i wanted it because i didnt want the bass to continue throughout the rev range. If i hadnt heard the car before i would say it was stock - doesnt sound aftermarket at all. No resonance or drone at all just very bassy.

I got the Rumore (LOUD) version and find it perfect for my needs. When driven sensibly say on a morning it stays to a decent level - no problem hearing the stereo. Drive the car hard and the exhaust when warm becomes very very loud, it has a wonderful race car sound. Tubi themselves liken it to a F355 at the higher rev range. At low revs a very satisfying sound very deep and bassy.

The fitting of the exhaust was only 40 mins and the mechanic (ex BMW) said that he was very impressed with the quality of the Tubi and had no probs fitting. Straight bolt on - no cutting required unlike Eisenmann and i think Milltek. BMW have seen it and there are no warranty issues - they were more bothered about revving the nuts off it!

It is about £500 more costly than others out there but i believe it is worth it as Tubi have a reputation and pedigree none of the others can match - they make the stock exhaust for the Pagani Zonda. Also comes with lifetime warranty on the exhaust. Another major plus is the back of the car now looks very nice, i never liked the stock back box. The performance figures say the Tubi should give an extra 15bhp. To be honest i havent noticed yet but havent had chance to fully explore it yet given the recent weather.

Mine was measured as 95dB at 6000rpm at

Figures, suppose that's what you want from a V8 :) Isn't the limit on some track days 100db or something stupid? Because of the idiots who buy a house next to an airfield and then complain about noise, pillocks.

I have had the Tubi fitted on my E92 M3 for about a month now and can highly recommend it. It has transformed the car and the exhaust totally suits the character of it.

On start up the exhaust sounds much better, deep and bassy. The best comparison would be SL55AMGish. This continues at low revs up to about 2.5 - 3k. Then the bassyness drops and the pitch changes to an eventual howl. It was exactly as i wanted it because i didnt want the bass to continue throughout the rev range. If i hadnt heard the car before i would say it was stock - doesnt sound aftermarket at all. No resonance or drone at all just very bassy.

Buy it Biscuits!!!!!!!!! SL55's sound like the Greek God of Thunder having sex.

Edited by tom_hargreaves

Hmmm.... this has now made me think more about getting the Tubi fitted sooner rather than later. I'd love to hear it 1st hand. My biggest worry is that at say 6k it is crazy loud and would stop me going on track days or the 'Ring.

I spoke with Tubi and they had no figures for the Tumor (LOUD) version and just said every car is different :rolleyes:

Hmmm.... this has now made me think more about getting the Tubi fitted sooner rather than later. I'd love to hear it 1st hand. My biggest worry is that at say 6k it is crazy loud and would stop me going on track days or the 'Ring.

I spoke with Tubi and they had no figures for the Tumor (LOUD) version and just said every car is different :rolleyes:

The volume level is not, i dont think, any louder at the higher rev range, mainly at the lower rev range. In fact i was surprised how quiet the Tubi actually is when fully extended. The volume seems to drop once passed about 4k revs. I dont see it being a problem for your track days. It is the pitch/tone that changes - the bassyness drops and the original character of the M engine comes through as a glorious howl.

I am actually next thinking about getting the Gruppe M intake to sort this out. Then i think the car will be perfect - the only problem is the cost now of the intake. In January it was £1450 but i have now just been quoted £2100 due to the strength of the Yen!

Figures, suppose that's what you want from a V8 :) Isn't the limit on some track days 100db or something stupid? Because of the idiots who buy a house next to an airfield and then complain about noise, pillocks.

Buy it Biscuits!!!!!!!!! SL55's sound like the Greek God of Thunder having sex.

+++ good call Tom!

Mine goes in on Monday for the Milltek one, I know Phil from a while ago when I had my B6 S4 and later my RS6 fitted with their stuff. All I can say is both were a lovely V8 sound once they had done their magic.

From speaking to Phil he assures me that the system will sound more V8'y and they've also removed the resonance that you get at low revs in 5th on the standard system.

When I get it back home I'll be sure to do a test next to my ML63 (stock system) to see which one wins ;)

And as for saying Milltek=Chavvy!! Hardly, they are in the habit of keeping most of their systems as close to the standard sizes where possible.

They had previously done a system for the E92 M3 and were very unhappy with it which is why it never got released

Had this fitted this morning. Really impressed. Car is more 'throaty' and definitely has a lower note now.

Pipes look really nice, the booming is a lot less noticeable now as well.

Very happy with the looks/sound of this system, nice and quiet when tootling around town and sounds like thunder when having a play.

Had this fitted this morning. Really impressed. Car is more 'throaty' and definitely has a lower note now.

Pipes look really nice, the booming is a lot less noticeable now as well.

Very happy with the looks/sound of this system, nice and quiet when tootling around town and sounds like thunder when having a play.

Get some pics/video up so we can all see the end result.

Do the Miltek slip-on, or do you have to cut the existing pipes like you have to with the Remus and others.

Excellent news it looks and sounds the part. Speedtrap (on another forum) has just had the Remus' fitted and will get to see/here them on the 30th at the BMSport Christmas Dyno Day.

Get some pics/video up so we can all see the end result.

Do the Miltek slip-on, or do you have to cut the existing pipes like you have to with the Remus and others.

Day.

Ill sort pics etc over the next day.

Its a slip on part, 2 pipes from Cat back to rear box. Took just over an hour to fit, i watched and there was definitely no cutting of anything.