M5 Touring

Simon690

The new M5 touring, probably the most useless BMW ever made.

It is the ideal continental family missile, cross continents at silly speeds, oh, apart from the fact that it has a range of 180-240 miles!

The SMG gearbox is awesome when you are on a track or those times when you want to have a bit of fun, but it is next to useless in auto mode, far too jerky in the lower modes and when you get it to change quick enough so your head doesn't bash the steering wheel it is revving too high.

I guess they will add DCT to the M5 soon, this will suit the M5 far better imho.

It comes with all the must haves, extended leather is a nice option if you can get it.

So, doesn't make sense at all but I would own one tomorrow!!

Actually, I think I would buy an E63 AMG or Alpina B5 touring, if they added a 90 litre tank to the M5 and the DCT gear box I would have the M5 though.

Thanks Gizzie, I guess I need to take a closer look and see if I can live with the limitations you've highlighted.

The other car that I've thought about is the RS6, My current car is an Audi and I love it but it just looks dull and seems to have a few limitations of it's own. Another test drive candidate.

I don't like Mercs, not sure why, just don't find them at all appealing, so the E36 isn't for me.

Don't write the Merc off, sits somewhere between the Audi and BMW for driver involvement.

The E55 is a 5.5 V8 twin supercharged, will do the sprint to 60mph in 4.4 seconds, and after a remap will do it in a smidge over 4 seconds.

The E63 is a little quicker and is a 6.2 V8, and it sounds like thunder!!

The S6 avant is awful!! And I have only met one person with a new RS6, he went from the M5 to it and said he regretted it straight away. But he was offered £30k less for it than he paid so is going to live with it for a while.

There is also the C63 estate, smaller, more nimble and a bit more hardcore??

TV, videos, motorsport events, driving techniques | DR TV | DRIVERS REPUBLIC

I quite like the old RS6 still, makes more sense than the other Audis as you expect it to be big and heavy if that makes sense?

I know guys who are dropping M5's for 535M sport...

still as quick as you need, but with a much further range and better fuel economy.

I must admit, if I could go back a month I would probably buy another 535d sport touring rather than the E320 and M3.

It is a fantastic all round package.

There is an 2005 E55 Estate with a Prins LPG conversion on autotrader, that would also be very nice. 500bhp and 35mpg. :grin:

Judging by the number of positive comments about the 535d I need to give it some serious consideration, decent real-world performance plus reasonable economy make it sound very attractive. The more I look at the M5 the more the running costs and residuals concern me.

The 535d (especially a remapped one) makes much more sense in the real world. +++

The more I look at the M5 the more the running costs and residuals concern me.

An early one is going to loose a grand a month still, new ones £2k+.

Then for fuel it is going to be another £400 a month for someone doing average miles, insurance is not the cheapest, servicing is £750 and £1000 alternating and it gets through £500 rear tyres at a rate of 5-10k miles. Then you have brakes at £600 each end and........well it is still a £70k supercar with a V10 engine and all the gubbins that need paying for.

An early one is going to loose a grand a month still, new ones £2k+.

Then for fuel it is going to be another £400 a month for someone doing average miles, insurance is not the cheapest, servicing is £750 and £1000 alternating and it gets through £500 rear tyres at a rate of 5-10k miles. Then you have brakes at £600 each end and........well it is still a £70k supercar with a V10 engine and all the gubbins that need paying for.

OK, now your really putting me off the M5. The money isn't too much of a concern but it's a question of whether I would feel comfortable with the level of expense that I'll be facing given that it will be my everyday car and will do about 10K miles per year. I like my cars but I also like my bikes and other toys...

I'll get myself down to the dealer and give a 535d a go.

But the cost is worth it. Unless you really really need the boot space the Saloon is generally fine as the boot is huge. But obviously just lacks the height you get from the touring.

I'd agree with pretty much everything gizze has said, but i'd venture down to a dealership and have a go with the SMG, as some people get along fine with it. Whilst others despise it.

• 2 weeks later...
OK, now your really putting me off the M5. The money isn't too much of a concern but it's a question of whether I would feel comfortable with the level of expense that I'll be facing given that it will be my everyday car and will do about 10K miles per year. I like my cars but I also like my bikes and other toys...

I'll get myself down to the dealer and give a 535d a go.

Give the M5 a miss, I wanted one, drove it for 30 miles, could not get out of it quick enough, all GIZZY says is true, the latest box in the M5 and M3 is miles better.

Economy and running costs are a killer, and depreciation a :eek: nightmare.

I know guys who are dropping M5's for 535d M sport...

still as quick as you need, but with a much further range and better fuel economy.

:grin: Lady T's dad did exactly that and he's just taken delivery of his 2nd 535d M-Sport - though he did say if BMW made an M5 with a 120 litre fuel tank he'd have one tomorrow +++

Contradiction?

Don't let Gizzee put you off, he's just jealous ;)

Those numbers are worst case scenarios IMO.

It is a bit of a contradiction, it's the heart-vs-head conundrum. My heart says go-for-it but my head keeps telling me to be sensible... I just wish I could silence the sensible voices!

My local dealer is going to get one in for a test drive and that will push me one way or the other...

I think Murketts Huntingdon still have my 535d MSport saloon... if you fancy a drive of a quick one :coffee: might be worth popping in. I traded it in for £27k, it's now on their forecourt for £25k :eek:

Mine was a pre-ED car, so I'd recommend getting a the LCI version as the new engine is lighter, comes with the electronic gearbox which shifts quicker and it also uses 20% less fuel !

I loved the 535d, but it's still a big car (allbeit stonkinlgy fast when remapped)... so the E92 M3 was for me the best step forward.

If your after a V8/V10 touring... my preference would be a 535dMspot Touring or if fuel isn't a worry a C63AMG Estate. (They are not going to make a RHD M3 Touring)

• 3 weeks later...

Couldn't agree more here. Sold my second M5 at just the right time (over 18months ago).

Range is a killer for that kind of car, got sick and tired of planning my journey's around a petrol station.

I really liked the idea of the tourer when it was announced until I found out about the same poxy size fuel tank!!

Irony is I went to an ML63 AMG which has slightly more power, bigger engine and weighs more (with a 100ltr fuel tank) and I get better economy out of it.

Now I'm in an E92 M3 and personally I think its leaps and bounds ahead of the M5 (did like SMG but much prefer a manual).

• 1 month later...
Don't write the Merc off, sits somewhere between the Audi and BMW for driver involvement.

The S6 avant is awful!! And I have only met one person with a new RS6, he went from the M5 to it and said he regretted it straight away. But he was offered £30k less for it than he paid so is going to live with it for a while.

What doesnt your friend like about the new RS6, How does it compare to the M5 then?

Thanks

It wasn't a friend, it was actually a guy in the car park at B&Q!! :D

I was loading my car up and he was doing the same, I said to him "That looks lovely, you pleased with it?"

To which he replied that he wasn't and knew straight away that he had made a mistake after collecting it, said it felt heavy and lethargic compared to his M5, but he needed an estate and loved the Audis design and the thought of all that power on an estate but he wasn't enjoying it. Was doing 13mpg and in that particular car he wasn't getting enough back from it to justify that.

He said he tried to get some bids on it but was getting £30k less than what he paid for it and at 3 months old he couldn't afford to get out of it.

I presumed his previous car was an E60 saloon, but it could have been an E39 of course.

It was in daytona grey, or whatever the new grey is, and it looked absolutely stunning.

I guess you need to have the money to be able to afford one as a second car really, then it would make a lot more sense maybe??