Rodents !

theduisbergkid

Animal lovers, click the 'x' in the top right hand corner of your screen now...

About a week ago I discovered that something had eaten some food in a low kitchen cupboard and left some droppings, no big deal, I cleaned up, went to Wilko's, and bought some poison. It suggested I use half a packet, so I used a whole packet. Next day, the lot had gone, so I refilled, and the next day, also all gone, in fact, I've put about half a kilo of the stuff down and still no sign of abatement.

I'm considering stopping up all night with a torch and shotgun... does anyone else have any suggestions ?

A colleague of mine has just gone through the same thing. Poison seemed to be useless so he got some traps and baited them with a chocolate button which had been melted a bit at the edges, apparently rodents go mad for them.

He used a few different types of traps, some humaine, some less so and as he was sitting watching TV a few nights ago he heard one of the (less than humaine) traps go off. He hasn't had a problem since.

Do you want to borrow a top notch mouse hunter? She is good. Top tally is 6 in an afternoon. +++:grin:

Failing that, I fear the old splat inhumane variant traps are the last resort you may have to go to.....:eek:

I have a 'mouse hunter', 12 years old, going slightly senile. Useless bag of fur is too busy crapping in my flowerbeds or scratching the roof of my car to catch mice. I have an additional problem, Duisberg junior #2 is a huge animal lover, and if she knows what I'm up to, she'll go mental.

I think I'm going to have to resort to [evil nazi voice] ze final solution [/evil nazi voice]...

...and baited them with a chocolate button which had been melted a bit at the edges, apparently rodents go mad for them.

Watch out there. You're just as likely to get up the next morning and find my 3-year old daughter caught in the trap, if the state I found the sofa in yesterday is anything to go by.

I thought if they ate the poison, it takes a slow effect and they trundle off back to their lair feeling ill, then eventually die...... which is why if their lair is in your house, it will stink to high heaven when they begin to rot!!!

Maybe it a HUGE rat and it has consumed all that poison, but will now be sat in a dark corner with a poison hangover.....

I thought if they ate the poison, it takes a slow effect and they trundle off back to their lair feeling ill, then eventually die...... which is why if their lair is in your house, it will stink to high heaven when they begin to rot!!!

Maybe it a HUGE rat and it has consumed all that poison, but will now be sat in a dark corner with a poison hangover.....

Yeah, but how long for this to happen, its been a week plus already ! I don't think its rats, I don't see how they could have got in. My nose is tuned for the smell of corpse... that reminds me, must ring the mother-in-law

I would recommend that you call in a professional because firstly they will tell you what the rodents are - we couldn't work out if we had mice, rats or squirrels in our cavity walls and roof space (total nightmare - but that's another story), the extent of the infestation (it might be 2 or 70 of the critters) and then they will put the appropriate bait down.

It doesn't need to be expensive, we paid £70 and that covered the initial visit to diagnose mice, and then as many visits and as much poison as it took to sort the problem out.

With regard to rotting corpses if you have mice they won't smell too much, and that will last 2 or 3 days, often less as their family eat them, but if you have a dead rat it may weel smell very strongly for 10 days.

:grin: nice name TDK :jump:

:grin: all this talk reminds me of a mouse that we tried to catch in one of my shared houses at university years ago - we set the old skool mouse trap with bread and jam, apparently its what they like, and waited and waited and waited. Eventually gave up and went to bed.

Next morning just getting up and we hear the most blood curdling scream you can imagine from my housemate Gareth :jump:

:grin: running downstairs we see him screaming in agony - he's come downstairs to the kitchen half asleep barefoot and stepped on the mousetrap with his big toe!

But wait, it gets worse - he had an infected ingrowing toenail at the time - I honestly thought he was going to pass out with the pain :jump:

...never did catch the mouse though +++

• 1 month later...

if its mice, little nipper traps work great. Use chocolate, small bits of mars bar work well as they can't just grab them and get away.

As for smell, yes they will smell if one dies in the room or under the floor. One mouse decided to make a home in the sub-woofer, only to die of fright when it kicked in. That stank a bit, and finding a half green mouse when I dismantled it was a bit manky :(

Remember to put traps along the walls.

As for the mouse lover, well remind them that mice are incontinent and wee everywhere they go. You find a few poos and thats just where it stopped for a dump. Everywhere else it was weeing.

Plus they chew through stuff, do you really want a house fire?

Any arguing, pee in her cornflakes, when she complains its disgusting... explain thats what the mouse is doing everywhere.... :)

Good luck...