Driver Developement Program and ProDrive Pt 1

Figure11

Following on from this thread here by Mook after a recommendation by John Cave of DriveTrain with whom I had undergone some road training (my report here part of a thread by Hopsta here)

OK, a bit of plagiarism first with some added pictures.........

More info from the site:

The location is here (a google maps link) and is easy to find if you don't use your SatNav and the Postcode. A good set of joining instructions was sent out just before the event as well as a receipt as soon as I paid. I did the course on the 3rd Nov.

The day is set out as follows:

09.00 Arrival, sign in, breakfast

09.20-09.45 Welcome presentation/briefing

19de9a46.jpg

That's Carolyn Barker the organiser and one of the instructors

09.45-10.30 Driving session 1

10.45-11.30 Driving session 2

11.45-12.30 Driving session 3

12.30-13.30 Lunch

13.45-16.00 Driving session 4

16.00 Debrief and departure

Each course will consist of 4 driving sessions as detailed below:

1) Performance and Dynamic Vehicle Handling

Conducted on Tower Circuit, the 1.5 mile high performance circuit is designed to teach car control and improve balance awareness. It has been specially marked out with chicanes and high and low speed corners, which can only be driven smoothly by setting up the car correctly. Drivers soon learn that the best way to lap this circuit is through correct positioning and well judged application of the brakes and throttle. Correct use of vision, acceleration, braking and cornering, are the most important concepts to master. Your instructor will take each guest through their own personal development plan.

RaceCircuitProDrive.jpg

2) Adverse Handling

The adverse handling circuit is a tight and twisty tarmac track. In many ways it simulates urban driving, with low speed corners and constant changes of direction. Here you will develop further your use of vision and matching road speed with the correct gear, so the car is constantly responsive. Also the necessity to keep the car balanced at all times. This track will really highlight incorrect driving techniques, easily putting the car in to understeer and oversteer situations. All in a safe environment.

AdversehandlingProDrive.jpg

3) Multi Surface Wet Grip Skid Control and Skid Circle

Prodrive has one of only three calibrated split grip surfaces in the UK. Used by vehicle manufacturers to test braking, traction and stability systems, its ability to simulate ice and snow in all weather conditions makes it the perfect area to teach skid control and the benefits of ABS and DSC. Your instructor will take you through a series of demonstrations highlighting the effects of understeer and oversteer, vital driving techniques for developing car control. You will then practise the same.

SkidPanProDrive.jpg

Red circle is the straight with sprays and is very slipery. Yellow is the circuit and is even more slippery.

The Skid Circle is perfect to simulate driving on a slippery roundabout, giving the driver a real feel of understeer and oversteer. The low grip surface enables real time driving simulation on black ice, as a result our instructors are able to demonstrate the potential hazards of driving in such slippery conditions. this will really highlight the difference between traction control on (if you have this system ) and traction control off, giving increased confidence when driving on wet and greasy roads. These areas are constantly wet, creating a very low traction surface, therefore there is no wear on tyres or car systems.

4) Mixed Practice

A practice of all three disciplines, focusing on each individual's preferences.

I was paired with a guy called John who had brought a nice shiny M6 and John Cave was our instructor. I had asked for John specifically and it turned out that John M6 had also been his pupil for a road driving session.

There were about 16 cars there and an eclectic mix they were.

993a656b.jpg

There was no real exotica, a pair of Boxters. a Lotus Eleise, RS4, BMW M3, the M6, A Bora, Honda S2000 and an R32 as well as a few hot hatches. there was even a soot Chucker BMW that did a good job of flying round the courses.

After lots of coffee and a couple of bacon or sausage baps we signed our lives away and had the exhaust note tested. max is 98Db as set by the council. Once that was done Carolyn gave her introduction and briefed us on the day. A chap whose name I missed from ProDrive gave a short brief on proDrive. Then it was out onto the track. Both John M6 and I wanted to learn more about our cars as well as advanced driving techniques. So John C took us out on the race circuit in my car. After the demo run, out we went agin with me behind the wheel and it was really good to be basically on a track day with an expert who new the track. John mixed his knowledge with humour and I was soon going a little faster each lap. After a few laps we went in and swapped to the M6. John M6 had been in the back for John c's laps and mine. I have 2 things to say about the M6. It ain't a 4 seater, certainly not for a 6' 2" fatty like me. The other thing is it's a technological marvel with stacks of grunt and the handleing to match. A bit of video here.

Then onto the skid pans...............

John C took us out in the S8 and demonstrated the quattro with ESP and ABS. A bit of video here and here. then it was my turn. My first run here I found it hard to get out of shape with the ESP on. Even with ESP off it took some work to get the back end out. As I had videoed John M6 spinning of an taken te P!$$ a bit, John C decided to put my hand brake on when I got a good drift going. results here. the M6 faired a bit worse with it's rear wheel drive. Another bit of video

After tat it was onto the roundabout. I found this difficult for some reason. ESP didn't help me much but I now know what black ice feels like and the effects if you don't do it right. The M6 faired better here.

A break for coffee was followed by the adverse handling circuit, which to me was the highlight. Its not a high speed circuit, I stayed ion 2nd the whole time. the corners were tight with 2 hairpins and the cambers were off and bumps had been added to some corners to throw you off. Under John's tutelage both John M6 and I got steadily quicker as wee learned the lines and the right speed to enter and leave the corners. I enjoyed the Skid pan; but this was the most educational.

After a good buffet lunch we got to choose what we wanted to do for the afternoon. Both John M6 and I elected for the Skid Pan and Adverse handling circuit and a thoroughly useful and fun afternoon we had.

As has been said before. this is not a track day. I went onto Castle Coombe at ADI last year and it was my first time on a track like that and I don't mind admitting I frightened myself. I should have done this first. Now I feel more confident on the roads and happier about going on the track.

I thoroughly recommend this to anyone feeling a bit of trepidation about taking a performance car on the track.

Gratuitous photo of John M6 and the young lady who brought the lotus at the end of the day looking well please with themselves.

ba052692.jpg

There is more video and photos here

Mike