theybe

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

When you copy your map off your car using the Bluefin device to send to them they return it with both the uprated map and the copy of your std map ...

which is loaded on the Bluefin device ....

which you load onto your car.

The next time you plug the Bluefin device into the car the device in it asks if you want to revert to std - as it realises the last time you used it you loaded the uprated map.

You merely follow the on screen instructions and it flashes back to std and keeps the flash counter at whatever it was before you started. :)

Sorry if this has been asked earlier but I can see a problem with this in when your car goes into the dealership with the 'std' map fitted back and they download an update to your cars map which happens far too regular. Next time you flash your superchip map back on then back to the standard one again you back to the old std one not the update but your car will be listed on VWs database as having the update and this could cause confusion and problems in the future especially for any future owner.

It would hav been much better if it read the std map back into the programming device each time.

^^^^

This is likely to be covered by the fact that the well established tuners work closely with VW and their remap options will usually include VW's latest updates.

I know this to be the case with Revo and expect it the same with Superchips. The tuners sometimes get the VW ECU updates before the dealers do!

Personally I operate a totally open policy with everybody and so don't have to hide anything and I have yet to have anything but the very fullest cooperation and help from both my VW dealer and Revo.

If you return your car to standard before a service and the Dealer does an update to the ECU, the Bluefin detects this when it is next plugged in and will download the new update to the device.

You then go to the Superchips site send the data and they send you an updated map merged with the new update

You plug it in just above the accelerator pedal into the purple connector.

Don't want to hijack this thread but I'm also considering getting a standard remap done.

What are the affects on economy/mpg? To me, this is the second most important figure after performance gains.

....I'm not quite understanding what you mean by "standard remap", but assuming you mean a remap of the standard car, in reality you don't tend to improve your mpg/economy because you tend to use the performance more which the remap gives you.

You can't escape from 'Increased Performance = More Fuel'.

FWIW I haven't noticed a great deal of difference post Superchips remap of my Edition 30 GTi .... possibly 1-2 mpg worse as I am using my right foot more :D

Yeah of course in reality more fuel is going to be consumed as you tend to use the power more. I should have been more specific, what I meant to say was if you were to drive normally e.g. daily commute like you would have pre-remap would you notice any difference? If you were it would be 1-2mpg?

....I'm not quite understanding what you mean by "standard remap", but assuming you mean a remap of the standard car, in reality you don't tend to improve your mpg/economy because you tend to use the performance more which the remap gives you.

You can't escape from 'Increased Performance = More Fuel'.

Yes sorry standard car - cheers RedRobin

what I meant to say was if you were to drive normally e.g. daily commute like you would have pre-remap would you notice any difference? If you were it would be 1-2mpg?

....Some people have reported a small improvement like 1-2 mpg but it really is difficult to gauge accurately. There have been many posts on all the GTI forums giving individual mpg and they all vary very wildly. For example, I usually get about 28 and rarely over 30 mpg but I like to use the gearbox. Others report high 30's!

So getting a definitive and reliable answer is not realistic I'm afraid.

HTH +++

I, like RR, haven't nticed much difference at all. It also depends on your drivng style and road usage. I do a lot of City driving and use manual (DSG paddles) and tend to make use of my remap and non-res Milltek. On a motorway jaunt in auto, I have seen 36pmg, but round town 18-20 mpg is more common. +++

^^^^

Be safe and take it easy and learn how it performs gradually.

There have been occasions when I've switched my car back to stock for a few hundred miles and the most noticeable difference is the comparitive limitation on some overtaking situations. But the stock unmodified Mk5 GTI is still a great car - An excellent allrounder.

Have Safe but Fun Journeys

+++