Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bugsymania

Monza 2 refurb

35 posts in this topic

Not only are the wheels in perfect condition - how clean are those calipers!!!!!!

That's what I was thinking aswell!

Just had my Monza 2s refurbed with Rimstock PLC, absolutely fantastic job. The inserts are smooth with no grainy affect to the paint work, the face of the alloy is perfect and I would dare to say better than the orginal finish. Took out some fairly deep curbing and way cheaper than buying new Monzas which now cost £486 a corner.

Total bill for all 4 including slaves for the duration, collection and delivery of slaves and my wheels, was less than buying 1 new wheel.

Sounds like a great result. Any pics?

£486 per wheel! How can they justifty that....they used to only be about £350 and that was expensive.

For as long as I can remember, they've been £380 inc VAT at main dealers. My dealer matches Ebay-priced sales of OEM Monza II's i.e. £299.

Its a joke how much they charge for a wheel from the dealers.

I'm lucky enough to be having one of my monza II's replaced under warranty. I did find out a bit of info from the dealer though, not sure if its totally true though! Apparently Volkswagen don't make them anymore for the mk5, they just refurb faulty/corroded wheels sent back to them under the warranty and then send them back to the dealers claiming they are new. Surely this can't be right?

Its a joke how much they charge for a wheel from the dealers.

I'm lucky enough to be having one of my monza II's replaced under warranty. I did find out a bit of info from the dealer though, not sure if its totally true though! Apparently Volkswagen don't make them anymore for the mk5, they just refurb faulty/corroded wheels sent back to them under the warranty and then send them back to the dealers claiming they are new. Surely this can't be right?

Wrong,

They are still available brand new, the wheels you are talking about are the warranty exchange wheels, in the last month or so dealers now have to use 'exchange' wheels that haver been refurbished by Pristine in MK and then send your ones back for the next unhappy whiteworm customer to be fitted to his!

That must have been what the dealer was on about. I didn't think they could just be replacing wheels that were well in their warranty with refurbs! I know I wouldn't be please getting a refurb when my car was only a year old or so. Mines in its last few days of warranty, so I'm just pleased to be getting it replaced.

I've mixed views on this.

In years gone my I've had mates who have had wheels straightened and all sorts of repairs done to them. These Monza II's are hollow inside. I just don't think I would be happy accepting a wheel not knowing it's history etc.

VW are happy to fit these polished / lacquered alloys across the range knowing the corrosion issues. If they're big enough to take that step then they should be big enough to put a proper warranty to them.

I think customers should only accept a refurb if they have managed to accumilate other damage to the wheel not connected with the corrosion.eg kerbing etc and they should expect their own wheels back after refurb.

Sooner or later someone will end up with a dodgy wheel with a hair line crack in it. The roads are all full of pot holes....

I've mixed views on this.

In years gone my I've had mates who have had wheels straightened and all sorts of repairs done to them. These Monza II's are hollow inside. I just don't think I would be happy accepting a wheel not knowing it's history etc.

VW are happy to fit these polished / lacquered alloys across the range knowing the corrosion issues. If they're big enough to take that step then they should be big enough to put a proper warranty to them.

I think customers should only accept a refurb if they have managed to accumilate other damage to the wheel not connected with the corrosion.eg kerbing etc and they should expect their own wheels back after refurb.

Sooner or later someone will end up with a dodgy wheel with a hair line crack in it. The roads are all full of pot holes....

....I agree with you 100%!

+++

Up until a couple of months ago I'd have happily recommended Pristine wheels to do this.

However, on cleaning my car the first time this year I noticed that pretty much all wheels have really noticable dull patches underneath the lacquer which I can only assume is corrosion. My wheels were refurbished just over a year ago and I've always been careful to look after them.

Some of the painted inserts have also gone bubbly.

So it looks like I have to get them done again!