Just paid the £3.50 fee for a Glass valuation:

December 2006 MKV GTI DSG (MY07)

5dr

Mint condition

As my signature suggests, all optional extras bar the DPC and sunroof:

Trade in (excellent) 13,800

Dealer retail 15,600

Private 13,350

A £29k car, almost 2 years later worth just over £13k privately? Holy feck! What's strange is that the trade in value is more than what would be estimated at a private sale. :(:eek:

All cars are taking big hits at present (have a look at the auction thread to see P997's for 30K, Lambo's for 50.

I don't want to know what the WR1 is worth.

Just wish I had some money to pick up a bargain.

Hopefully Gordon and Al will see sence and srap the VED changes proposed which will make all the fun cars even less desirable.

Speaking to my dad a couple of days ago....

"Well, Simon, you do drive a politically incorrect car at present.."

"yep, and more of a reason to continue..."

Okay, so your two year old, 29k car is now worth 13k. But the car you're going to be buying will be loads cheaper aswell (if you negotiate hard enough and well enough).

So taking your part ex as 13k, and the price of a new Golf R32 at 22k, that's getting you into a new car (more expensive than yours) for 4.5k per year depreciation. Not too bad at all really eh?+++

I suppose the only issue is getting a dealer to actually take your car off your hands...

Okay, so your two year old, 29k car is now worth 13k. But the car you're going to be buying will be loads cheaper aswell (if you negotiate hard enough and well enough).

So taking your part ex as 13k, and the price of a new Golf R32 at 22k, that's getting you into a new car (more expensive than yours) for 4.5k per year depreciation. Not too bad at all really eh?+++

I suppose the only issue is getting a dealer to actually take your car off your hands...

I hear what your saying. I have no intention of selling my GTI, rather was curious to see what loss I had incurred as I'm on a big saving mission at present. Now my curiosity has been satisfied; or more to the point disappointed, I'll keep well clear of Glass's guide. Whilst at my local dealer, they offered to buy it as they have no GTI's in their stock and haven't had one so well spec'd before. When pressed, they mentioned a minimum of £13k, but that offer wouldn't stay on the table for long! I told them it's not for sale. I did tell them I would probably part-ex for the GTI-R should it come to fruition. They now have me on "a list of potential interest."

Vw have a big problem trying to move the R32 stock and this is impacting on other models including the GTi/ED30 etc.This in turn is hitting the trade in market, so vw will have to come up with a srategy to try and even the balance.

Obviously not easy in the current market.It would seem that things are going to get alot worse before any recovery.It will be interesting to see what happens when the MkVI arrives..:eek:

No disrespect to anyone here but please take it from the horses mouth just because Glass' Guide says you car is worth circa £13k trade in value it doesnt mean a dealer will give you that for it! We have 2 GTI's on our forecourt that have been there sevreal months and are now worth alot less than what they owe! Also if you have a highly specced one it doesnt make it worth anymore to the trade as a gti is a gti whether it has xenon's,leather nav or any other boxes ticked!

Please dont take this the wrong way but at the moment high performance cars are not selling...for instance-give me a forecourt full of tdi golf match's or polo 1.2 70ps match's they will sell no trouble at all.....I also have an ex demo R32 5dr DSG in Blue with leather,nav 6disc,armrest,cruise,rear parking sensors, luxury pack. Just over 6000miles, registered january 2008 on my forecourt at £22995 and it has never had a test drive! Anyone interested PM me!

No disrespect to anyone here but please take it from the horses mouth just because Glass' Guide says you car is worth circa £13k trade in value it doesnt mean a dealer will give you that for it! We have 2 GTI's on our forecourt that have been there sevreal months and are now worth alot less than what they owe! Also if you have a highly specced one it doesnt make it worth anymore to the trade as a gti is a gti whether it has xenon's,leather nav or any other boxes ticked!

Please dont take this the wrong way but at the moment high performance cars are not selling...for instance-give me a forecourt full of tdi golf match's or polo 1.2 70ps match's they will sell no trouble at all.....I also have an ex demo R32 5dr DSG in Blue with leather,nav 6disc,armrest,cruise,rear parking sensors, luxury pack. Just over 6000miles, registered january 2008 on my forecourt at £22995 and it has never had a test drive! Anyone interested PM me!

Not trying to tell grandma how to suck eggs an all that but...

VW dealer: Brand new R32 Manual 5 door, Diamond Black Metallic, Anthracite Leather,

Winter Pack, DVD Sat Nav + 6CDs, Rear Tinted Windows, Multifunction Steering Wheel,

Rear Side Airbags-

£21,995

Yours will stay there quite a while methinks.

Not trying to tell grandma how to suck eggs an all that but...

VW dealer: Brand new R32 Manual 5 door, Diamond Black Metallic, Anthracite Leather,

Winter Pack, DVD Sat Nav + 6CDs, Rear Tinted Windows, Multifunction Steering Wheel,

Rear Side Airbags-

£21,995

Yours will stay there quite a while methinks.

Tell me about it Rusty! I personally think brand new will get cheaper in a couple of months especially if VW fail to sell the 600 or so untagged R32's sitting at various ports!

Tell me about it Rusty! I personally think brand new will get cheaper in a couple of months especially if VW fail to sell the 600 or so untagged R32's sitting at various ports!

As already stated they are now all gone, they have all been sold into the dealer with stock clearance discounts applied to them. We bought 3 and 2 have already sold, cheap cars! I have seen lower spec manuals with asking prices of 19k brand new!

The value of your car is utterly meaningless until the point at which you want to sell or part-ex it. And then its value is relative to the value you place on the car you're buying.

It's just not worth losing sleep over ... go out and enjoy it! :grin:

....Nail....Head....On!

Exactly the same applies to the value of your property.

Enjoy what you have rather than what you don't have.

+++

As already stated they are now all gone, they have all been sold into the dealer with stock clearance discounts applied to them. We bought 3 and 2 have already sold, cheap cars! I have seen lower spec manuals with asking prices of 19k brand new!

I haven't looked at golf stock on dialog for a few days....we got 4 Gt Sport tdi's in stock on site that we're concentrating on....also got 3 R32's that we didnt take on the 2 day discount offer....whoops!!!! Not my problem however..i get paid to sell, not worry about old adopted stock!!!!!:roflmao:

I haven't looked at golf stock on dialog for a few days....we got 4 Gt Sport tdi's in stock on site that we're concentrating on....also got 3 R32's that we didnt take on the 2 day discount offer....whoops!!!! Not my problem however..i get paid to sell, not worry about old adopted stock!!!!!:roflmao:

I am wanting a GTI in the new year for the boss as daughter is having her car, looks like I may only be down the road from you.

07/57 plate, must have leather & xenons, all else no prob.

keep me posted.

ta

As you can get brand new 58 plates (admittedly without nav and a bit less spec) for £20k or so, you would get salesman of the year to get close to £23k for that.

About £18k - £19k might be closer to the mark :eek:.

Give me what I paid for my now 2 yr old Focus ST and I'll take pity on you at asking price :grin: - not many winners at the moment. Unless you have cash & flexibility!

Not helping you, not helping me either (although I don't actually want an R32 as such, want a bit more of a change, within my boundaries).

Edited by D1MAC

• 3 weeks later...

The OP's mistake was buying a new GTI for £29K.

I too have a December 2006 5 door GTI, (manual, 18s, winter pack, cruise). I gave £19,200 for it, brand new from Motorpoint, Derby (grey import).

I would not have spent 10 grand more than mine in a million years.

By the way, I have heard of brand new R32s going for 18 grand. I'd have a bit of that.

The OP's mistake was buying a new GTI for £29K.

I too have a December 2006 5 door GTI, (manual, 18s, winter pack, cruise). I gave £19,200 for it, brand new from Motorpoint, Derby (grey import).

I would not have spent 10 grand more than mine in a million years.

By the way, I have heard of brand new R32s going for 18 grand. I'd have a bit of that.

The depreciation wasn't a concern when I bought the car, Johnnysenna. It never is for me. No one buys a car to make money! A fully loaded GTI was what I was after and what I got. I'm just shocked at its value now given the current economic climate, but its worth more to me than what a private buyer or trade would give me for it. When I'm ready, it will be a superb tade-in car, too.

The depreciation wasn't a concern when I bought the car, Johnnysenna. It never is for me. No one buys a car to make money! A fully loaded GTI was what I was after and what I got. I'm just shocked at its value now given the current economic climate, but its worth more to me than what a private buyer or trade would give me for it. When I'm ready, it will be a superb tade-in car, too.

That's fair play mate, but you will have lost close to 10 grand more than me when we come to sell our cars. I can't afford to chuck away 10 grand for the sake of a fully loaded spec! But each to their own etc.