Audi A6 2.0TDI Auto 58 plate - Fuel Economy Question

graham131

Hi - Thanks - I am getting about 35 - but thought it might be more (as per the audi specs).

Was just a little disappointed as i used to have a V6 2.6 Auto Petrol that gave me about 27mpg, and swapped to a smaller diesel purely for fuel economy reasons.

Might swap back - lol!

Thanks

Graham

How do you drive? What is your normal trip? Traffic?

I cruise the A1 each day, so I return 55-60 mpg in my Bora TDi. I also return about 30 mpg in my A6 V6 petrol Tip Quattro A6 Avant for the same trip, and neither go above 3K rpm (unless I get bored of cruising in the Audi). However, as soon as the A6 gets to town the mpg drops to about 18+, but the Bora drops to about 40ish.

So, it all depends on your trip and style of driving.

If crusing all day, look toward the higher figure in the brochure

58 plate? Give it a chance!

You'll see a noticeable improvement after 5000 miles and it'll need at least 15000 before you start getting close to the stated firgures. With the use of thinner engine oil it takes longer (sometimes up to 50000 miles) for new engines to bed in fully. Although having said that the Multitronic on the 2.0TDi does take a few MPG away if I remember correctly.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I'm glad somebody else has raised this. I have just got the 2.0tdi with automatic on an 08 plate with 16000 miles on the clock and get pretty poor mpg, normally averages around 32.

My driving is mostly mixed with with a fair amount of A road/motorway driving. On my first tank (on second one now) I only got 420 miles from brimmed....which scared me a little!

I was thinking about asking this too ... glad someone else did ;)

I've got a 07 plate 2.0 tdi (multitronic) avant with 36,000 on the clock and getting around 35mpg on motorway journeys... short trips (e.g. down the road to the shops) get about 18mpg which scared me somewhat ... My old 1.9 TDI passat 4Motion(!) would give me about 40 on the motorway, but on short journeys it dropped to low 30s... but not 18 :P

Certainly no-where near the quoted figures from Audi, I expected it to be a little lower than what they say... but not that much lower :/

• 1 month later...

Just got rid of my A8 and have just aquired a 2.5tdi 163 quattro Avant and averaged about 43 mpg @75mph on cruise from Bristol to London and back for 2 days....I left Bristol yesterday and it told me I have 550 miles to run, got to Reading and it told me I have 585 miles to run!!

I think mixed is about 38 which is pretty good for 2.5 V6 diesel with quattro drive

• 3 weeks later...

My A6 (57 plate) 2.0 TDi Avant Multitronic only returned 33 - 35 MPG from new. Whether doing 85 or 70 MPH, no different figures under any circumstances. So I got rid of it yesterday.

My previous 53 plate A6 2.5 TDi Quattro Tiptronic did 38 MPG all day every day with 40 BHP more and torque to match.

2.0 TDi seems underpowered for this size car in my opinion, I chose it because of fuel economy and got the wrong deal.

Also own and EOS DSG with the same engine that does 50 MPG minimum. What a difference

I can't make head or tail of it... I have a 53 plate A6 Avant 2.5 TDI Quattro Sport Triptronic with 103k on the clock and was getting around 23-25, but since a longlife service a few weeks ago it's now 28 ish... mixture of town/motorway and A roads.

How on earth do you get it into the 30's???????????

I would say that my 2002 A4 2.5tdi was only around 10% better economy wise than the 3.2 Quattro A6 I have now, and that was a lighter car with a multitronic gearbox and no 4 wheel drive.

These new fsi petrol engines seem to suit the big heavy car alot, I'm sure the diesels have improved too on the bigger engines, but I with my driving style I struggle to get much more than 33/34 in the 3.0tdi quattro.

Have you scanned your car to make sure it is running fine??

I used to get 28mpg round town and with sub 10 mile journeys to work up the dual carrigeway, so not that far out.

I only averaged 33mpg in the 1.9tdi A6 avant, non quattro.

I have recently got my self an A6 2.0 Tdi multitronic and I must say I am a little disappointed with the fuel comsumption figures. My daily hack is 33 miles each way with 28 on the Mway/DCway, if I keep to 65mph I get about 45mpg in C/Control aircon off however as soon as the old right foot gets heavy and all the toys switched on it drops to 38mpg at 75mph. Got rid of a ford Galaxy 2.0 tdci and that did better mpg by 15%. My car before that was a 1.9 PD tdi Passat (manual) and I could drive at 80mph all day and still get 55mpg :-{. Thinking off getting a remap to see if that improves it somewhat!!

my old passat(2006 2.0 tdi sport estate) which is the same sort of size as an a6 did 46mpg over 15000 miles.... all types of driving and traffic. It had a DSG box fitted which is the same mpg as the manual. The CVT or multitronic was a hell of a lot worse.

I'm not going to even mention that the CVT/multitronic gearbox is made of cheese!

Edited by jason61c