Looks like I've a goodun'

Biscuits

Chaps...... I'm loving the M3. It's such a good everyday car, but has a darker side when you start exploring 4k+ rpm.

I recon it's the best compromise between an everyday and sports car.

Very very pleased. :grin::grin::grin:

When the car was dyno'd Evolve reconed BMW UK had remapped it, but I got an email from them yesterday saying after comparing the graphs with all the other stock ones, that it hasn't... but it's just been "well" run-in.

I knew with it being a BMWUK press car and being thrashed by the Top Gear Team round a track in Spain it would have been "loosened-up", but there was a little worry in the back of my mind it would have be detrimental, not benificial to the engine output.

Evolve have offered a discounted remap, on the basis they can publish the results as a "this is what's possible from the new BMW V8" kind of thing... but I'm just not sure it's worth it. If they can't get any more out of it, then there'd be no charge... so I'm a little tempted...

TBH, I struggle to use the power it has effectivly anyway, it really is THAT fast when you start red-lining, that another 10% bhp won't help. Bigger brakes and a louder exhaust are of more interest.

So.... SuperSprint, Tubi, Milltek or Remus system then ?

:grin::grin::grin:

I'd go for some new brakes. I'm not a big fan of standard M Car stoppers, some stupid idiot at Bee Em thought it'd be a good idea to put 3 piston calipers on the M6 (It weighs nearly 1.8 tonnes and has 507bhp, come on). Good job it was restricted to 155mph I wouldn't want to try and stop from 200 on those.

You should go for the 4 or 6 piston Brembo kit that's now available for the M3. But after having it all fitted and wearing them out, replacement discs and pads will probably be well over a grand for all corners.

No, you can just upgrade the fronts and you'll be fine. The rear brakes don't contribute as much as you'd think to stopping a car.

IIRC, the AP kit is about £3k, but not too sure.

you want both the fronts and backs really for stability. The E92 disks are of a very good standard and the AP callipers can just attach. all you need are those and a set of RS15's and you are set. Very very good brakes.

Speak to BMSport: BMW Tuning Parts, Servicing, Accessories, Upgrades : Bexley Motor Works They are not to far from you and the best in the business in reagrds to BMW by a long shot. Jags or Nigel are the people you shoudl have a chat with. Say I sent you and they will be ultra helpful!

Thanks Woops... been speaking with Nigel regarding an exhaust and geo. I'll drop him a line to price up a brembo and AP upgrade.

Then just need to decide if the car gets the money, or I knock it off the mortgage... feckin credit crunch :confused:

they are brilliant, best service you could ever wish for. I just get jags to pick the car up from my office and drop it off once the work has done. I will get e-mail updates all through the day too. My car is in the best condition of its life at the moment at 42k miles! it has never been so good!!

I've found that Brembo are as good as AP in most departments, but AP seem to charge a hell of a lot more.

As Woppum said though i'd have both front and rear brakes done otherwise you'll more than likely get a lot of squirming about if you jump on them going into a corner, and then if you brake hard enough and it's damp your car would probably spin out from the rear. Better to be safe than sorry :D

And I also agree with what you said Mook, I could only get my Z4 uprated to 360bhp from 343bhp which is hardly anything and would probably not be very noticeable. I think 360 was the limit of that engine though?

Edited by tom_hargreaves

Mapping offers such small gains with these cars that the total effect can be negative. For example to get the most 'feel' from a map what can be done is reduce the low down curve in order to make the peak feel more visious. This does give a sence of enhancement however in terms of out an out performance, road or track makes the car slower. Since i have reverted the car to standard (map) it is faster without question. I will be working on a bespoke map with BMS come new year, just to see, but dont expect a gain at all really. I just want to see what is possible out the CSL with standard ecu.

I love the car and dont want to swap it so am thinking of builtding an engine for it. Its possible to get 420 real bhp in race engines and I want to meet somewhere in the middle for my car as I still want it to be usable. will let you know when this happens and update progress. for the moment i am very pleased with the current set up.

in regards to AP vs Brembo. I am not well up on like for like today, however when I bought the AP's the Brembos were significantly more expensive. What Brembo offer that AP dont is a 'bigger' brake kit, which could be a better option for the heavier E92, but costs probably dounle what you would pay for just the calipers of the 'big' AP kit. As said Nigel will let you know all info.

Appreciate the advice chaps. As it happens, BMSport were at the BMWCAR trackday with all there track toys. Spoke with Nigel about my tyres overheating and melting... his first comment was "well... it is a heavy car!"

Going to get a full geo done as I suspect the front is out, I was getting quite a lot of under steer, which cooked my left front tyre badly.

Load of CSLs there today, including one that met with the armco very hard and took out the passenger side (curtain air bag went off). Chap was only 23 and had had it 3 weeks :eek: Most had AP or Brembo upgrades.

Definatly going to research doing the brakes, didn't have the confidence like I had in the Porker.

Think I'm going to can the remap idea, might have the limiter removed though for VMAX next year.

That's probably because the last car he had before the CSL was a 320Ci Sport and thought it'd be the same but faster, tried to drive it fast and didn't know about the concept of oversteer/understeer and its consequences.

Get the Brembo's I say, and go the full hog and get the 6 piston calipers on them. It'll give the sort of braking power that makes your eyes hurt when you jump on them at high speed. Like the guy from Bee Em said, it's a heavy car and at nearly 1.7 tonnes its almost the same weight as an M6, taking into account if you're going to get it de-limited, 6 piston stoppers will be more appropriate if you ask me. That's my advice, but i'd try and find out from some people who may have the Brembo and AP kit installed to see what they think.