I am gutted!

dooley

I currently have a VW polo gti, 2000 and the gearbox appears to be nackered! Ive felt it stiff and just not right for some time but after various visits to various garages, inculding a VW garage, was told 'thats just the way they are'.

When driving home last week it wouln't go into forth gear and I had to pull over and start again from scratch. Upon taking it to a local garage they told me my gearbox had gone and quoted me £1500 to fix! They basically said I should trash it as it wasn't worth it!

I am gutted! Absolutely and totally gutted! I just don't know what to do. Its probably obvious but I'm not really mechanically minded oither than I love the way my car looks and drove, up until now. Any advice? Please, anyone!:(

I managed to drive it earlier today but then tonight it would go into reverse but not first.

I currently have a VW polo gti, 2000 and the gearbox appears to be nackered! Ive felt it stiff and just not right for some time but after various visits to various garages, inculding a VW garage, was told 'thats just the way they are'.

When driving home last week it wouln't go into forth gear and I had to pull over and start again from scratch. Upon taking it to a local garage they told me my gearbox had gone and quoted me £1500 to fix! They basically said I should trash it as it wasn't worth it!

I am gutted! Absolutely and totally gutted! I just don't know what to do. Its probably obvious but I'm not really mechanically minded oither than I love the way my car looks and drove, up until now. Any advice? Please, anyone!:(

I managed to drive it earlier today but then tonight it would go into reverse but not first.

£1500 sounds a bit steep to me!! Have you tried anywhere else for a quote?

Edit - Sounds more like a clutch problem than a gearbox to me although I only know symptoms of cars I have had over the years so I may be wrong. Hope you get it sorted.

Edited by pingpongpo
Thought of something else

Welcome to Tyresmoke Dooley +++

From what you describe, it sounds like the gearbox, especially if it won't go into specific gears.

Ring around for a price and see how you get on.

If you do decide to sell it without fixing it, PLEASE can you let me know. I'll buy it off you unseen and fix the 'box. Mrs Mook needs a new car +++

• 2 weeks later...

They are taking the piss saying it will cost £1500. If you shop around, you should be paying anything from £400 - £800 tops to supply and fit. If/when my box goes (if I still have the car) I'll be buying one off ebay believe it or not:

Vw polo 1.6 gti Rebuilt Gearbox on eBay, also, Volkswagen, Car Parts, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 01-Dec-08 11:34:11 GMT)

They are meant to be really good as the are properly reconditioned and not replaced with the same parts which will just fail again anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Dooley, If you still need help let me know as I have just repaired my polo gti (2000) and it cost about £1000 including VAT and a recon gearbox as well as a new clutch kit and it drives like a dream. It's actually for sale.

• 4 weeks later...

I am sooooo pleased!:D My wee polo is now back on the road and driving like a dream!

I looked into a buying a variety of cars and selling my polo but none of the cars I looked at winked at me as much as my polo did when I first saw it, sad I know!:roflmao:

So, after speaking to a few pals I got the number of a guy that works with cars in his free time and came highly recomemnded. It took a while (couple of months) but he seems to have given my car a good look over and reported back that it was infact needing a new clutch and the garage had infact adjusted the clutch beyond all recognition.

He still feels the gear box may need some adujusting and is currently sourcing a 'jig' ?? to sort this. Am taking the car back to him on sat to get the wheel bearing soted as the god awful noise I kept telling the garage was the exhaust is infact that. Its amazing what someone who really knows what they are doing can do. I didnt have a clue and I think the garage may have known that:(.

And all this for £350, result. Will defo be dealing with him again.

Thanks for all you advice though.