Goodyear Assyms **** in the cold?

robe

I had a new set of 4 goodyear assymetrics fitted July. After taking several hundred miles to "bed in" and get really grippy I was pretty satisfied with them. Not the best tyre I'd ever had but pretty good, and much better than the dunlop sportmaxx that had been on before.

The fronts are now down to about 3mm and seem to have completely given up being grippy. Wet they are awful and even today (sun shining, 8 degrees-ish) on dry roads I either have the TC light flashing when I pull out of a junction or accel on a tight bend.

Anyone else found the same?

Company car so I won't be able to change then until they're down to the wear bars unfortunately.. :(

These things won all the magazine tyre test, so either they are wrong or maybe mine came from a duff batch or something?

Car is a bone-stock '07 GTI, 56k miles.

I don't rate the Sportmaxxs either but I've had my F1 Assymmetrics on the front of my R32 for 19k miles and their is still 4mm left and apart from the bedding in they are great both wet, dry, hot and cold. Living in Scotland I have plenty of experience of driving in the cold.

Interesting comments on the wear as my Dunlops were shot after 19k miles so F1s have been better

These things won all the magazine tyre test, so either they are wrong or maybe mine came from a duff batch or something?

I've got through two sets of F1 Asymmetrics on two separate cars and once they get down to that level, they're fooked, but I always change them when they get to 3 or 3.5 mm.

For the money, they're bloody good tyres +++

:grin: I remember my VX220 Turbo's rears lasting 5k miles, the Boxster's rears were 9k - so everything since then has been a revelation +++

I've got Goodyear Eagle F1 Asyms on the Bimmer at the moment and 2k miles in I'm pretty impressed, then I've come from runflats so the ride/grip is better but I've no idea how they will last in the long run +++

Thanks for the imput chaps. I guess MOOK has prob hit the nail on the head, they are a great tyre, but by the time they're down to 3mm the are past their best.

Choice now is to stick with them 'til they're 1.6mm and I can get a new pair, or pop them on the back and get the newer one's on the front.. hmmmm..

• 2 weeks later...

Interstingly I got a full set of the F1 GSD3's fitted at the weekend and at the mo they're scaring the bejesus out of me, i'm not sure if it's because they're new and not worn in, if it's cold and/or slightly damp. I nearly span the car in the first 30 seconds of having them on and despite seeming to corner quite well when the right foot feels slightly heavy they spin massively. I managed to spin them in 3rd gear earlier today which I found slightly scary. Hopefully in a few hundred miles they'll settle down... :(

Interstingly I got a full set of the F1 GSD3's fitted at the weekend and at the mo they're scaring the bejesus out of me, i'm not sure if it's because they're new and not worn in, if it's cold and/or slightly damp. I nearly span the car in the first 30 seconds of having them on and despite seeming to corner quite well when the right foot feels slightly heavy they spin massively. I managed to spin them in 3rd gear earlier today which I found slightly scary. Hopefully in a few hundred miles they'll settle down... :(

Sorry mate - for me it was 8 months of wasted motoring...

IMHO.....

:grin: the first 30-50 miles on any set of new tyres is a horrible experience, something to do with the 'sheen' thats on them from manufacture - massive take it easy needed especially in these conditions +++

Though saying that I nearly faced the wrong way round a roundabout in Basingstoke today - thank feck for DTC or whatever saved my bacon today +++

Check out my other threads - I have actually sent my tyres back and am waiting to here from Goodyear - they really are poor.

You must have had a dodgy set or something, as you seem to be one of the only ones to not get on with these superb tyres.

You'd think if new tyres are that dangerous they'd either come with a whopping great warning or come pre-scrubbed. It wasn't even as if I was doing anything stupid when I nearly span, I had my son in the back and simply turned the corner and the car went.