Xbox Repairs?

RacingRed

Buggeration! My Xbox has gone tits up and is no longer under warranty. I'm aware of the three year extended warranty for the '3 Red Lights' failure but mine is a 'System error E74' and only showing one red light, so I don't qualify for that.

Anyone know what sort of price I'm looking at for a repair from Microsoft? Their bloody support page wants credit card details before they'll collect it and I want to know what the damage is likely to be.

You'd think they'd just make them properly in the first place? this has been going on ever since the first models, must cost MS a fortune to fix them, and eventually they will stop doing it!

I had a 360 when they first came out, personally never had a problem with it, but I'm not a heavy user, got a PS3 in the end though and never looked back.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I got it back today. It seems they have sent me someone elses reconditioned unit, most likely to cut down the time it takes. The new serial number has already been attached to my account, I have a years warranty gratis, and a free month of Live for my trouble. I fired it up to re-connect the controllers and it seemed quieter, so maybe its a re-con with new guts? We'll see when I try it with a disc in the drive.

Alas, I now have to re-download all DLC so that it re-registers with the new serial number.

It'll be quieter because the Disk Drive manufacturer was changed to try and reduce noise and increase reliability.

The motherboard layout has also been changed to stop the GPU overheating (Main cause of the RROD), because it was to close to other components that get quite hot when running games. This means the fan layout is also different, not needing as much of a powerful extraction setup. But at will it can increase and decrease the speed of the fans to cope with any extra heat - Such as a warm room.

I had the RROD as well, and MS turned it around really quickly. I had it collected and returned in less than 10 days. They changed the motherboard and disk drive and gave it a general overhaul.

To be honest, with the prices for a new basic X-Box, I suppose you'd have to ask yourself if it is worth paying £70 for a repair. I'd be tempted to splash £129 for a new one.

• 2 weeks later...

Dustior; I had the same predicament.

Basically, my xbox360 started telling me to insert my games into an xbox360 (!!). Doing a quick google confirms that it's yet another common problem whereby the xbox gets stuck on DVD mode. Not covered under the extended 3 year Warranty.

I was planning to buy a new basic xbox but in the end I went mad and bought an xbox360 elite. I was planning to buy a PS3 but I would've spent another £300+ getting the games I wanted to play online. So it didn't make financial sense.

Seems much quieter than my old xbox; hopefully thats down to the modified internals!! I've owned pretty much every popular games console over the last 15 years and I've never ever had any reliability issues. Microsoft made a real schoolboy on this one.

Oh well, I've got COD; World at War now so I'm happy :grin:

I had the RROD as well, and MS turned it around really quickly. I had it collected and returned in less than 10 days. They changed the motherboard and disk drive and gave it a general overhaul.

To be honest, with the prices for a new basic X-Box, I suppose you'd have to ask yourself if it is worth paying £70 for a repair. I'd be tempted to splash £129 for a new one.

That's what I did, and boy am I pleased I did...full HDMI on the new model, splendid