Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
audi_novice

A3 taking ages to warm up

8 posts in this topic

My 1998 A3 takes up to 5 mins to warm up when i turn the heating on... should it be taking this long?

Is this from when the car is cold, or do you mean that when the car is already warmed up and you turn on the heater, it takes ages for warm air to come through?

My 1998 A3 takes up to 5 mins to warm up when i turn the heating on... should it be taking this long?

What engine do you have?

The 19.TDi takes a long time to warm up, the price you pay for fuel efficiency.

So if the car has been running for say an hour or so, it takes 5 minutes for the heat to come through?

If so, then no, it's not right - it should start blowing hot air immediately. Nothing springs to mind straightaway what it might be though :confused:

DO THey still have a thermostat that opens/closes off the rad as these fail open & if so would take a lot longer to warm up than if closes off rad till warm ?

Do you have climate control? If so check that for fault codes with VAG-COM - it sounds to me like the air distribution flaps are not working correctly.

Could very well be the thermostat. SOme are still wax-stat type but some are electrically controlled. Both can sieze up but the elctric ones often store a fault if they stick. On your engine the stat should be on the side of the block at the front as you stand infront of it, about half way up on a black, plastic water jacket unit. If it is electric there'll be a green 2pin plug going to it.