Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ari

Setting up my Plasma screen. Settings?

17 posts in this topic

When we installed the screen, it appears the default setting of everything (brightness, contrast, all of that) is centred. To be fair, it's a superb picture, but I wonder, should I be fiddling with them?

I also discovered that the screen mode was "dynamic". I recall reading that this was to impress punters in the shop so I've changed this to "normal", which I think is a bit better.

Anyway, any advice on setting everything up? I read somewhere that I should turn off the intelligent picture predicting software, but haven't messed with that (and don't honestly know where that is anyway).

Interested to know what people think?

Did you go Panasonic?

Yep, all our telly's are Panny, and i don't like the dynamic setting.. it over saturates everything... stick with normal and it'll be fine.

Yup, Panasonic TH-46PZ81B.

nice !!..

I wouldn't buy anything else.. They rule as far as I'm concerned! +++

And i've just checked and it has got integrated HD receiver. +++

If you've got an animated film on DVD, Monsters inc for example or anything like that, they usually have a THX setup thing for the picture, very good in my experience.

If you've got an animated film on DVD, Monsters inc for example or anything like that, they usually have a THX setup thing for the picture, very good in my experience.

I can vouch for the THX set up. IIRC it was on my Pearl Harbour DVD .

Out of curiosity, I did this as a comparison to Gizze's optimum settings for the PX70.

Not one of the settings was more than +/- 1 increments out and i couldnt spot the difference, so stuck with Gizze's

That's a good tip. Got Shrek (I, II, and III), The Incredibles, and a few others so I'll have a look.

I

Out of curiosity, I did this as a comparison to Gizze's optimum settings for the PX70.

You wouldn't have a link to that post would you?

And i've just checked and it has got integrated HD receiver. +++

That's interesting. I had a look in the brochure at the technical specs but no mention.

Just had a look on line and it says:

DVB-T n/a

DVB-T HD (H.264) n/a

DVB-S HD (H.264, FreeSat) yes

DVB yes

Which kind of suggests to me that the Freesat tuner is HD, but nothing else.

You wouldn't have a link to that post would you?

not to the post, there are several, but i do have my settings (Gizze's) from a PM.

My settings are (42" PX70 Panasonic Plasma)

contrast 70%

colour 50%

Brightness around 45%

Sharpness one click right from centre.

Colour temp NORMAL

Picture mode NORMAL.

All dnr etc. set to off.

I worked out how many clicks per option made the bars 100% full and pretty much set it up from there.

Edit: I should add, i havent had to, or wanted to touch it since. Set and forget +++

Edited by Paul

:grin: my Panny is on 'auto' - appears to do the business (for lazy people like me) +++

Plasma's need a few 100 hours of running in. Keep everything below 50% for a month.

This will condition the screen and help it build up a tolerance to screen burn. Under no circumstances leave it fixed on a screen for any length of time.

So avoid screen pause via DVD, and avoid holding the set on any screen menu or guide for any great length of time.

The Panasonic should look fine at the settings suggested +++

Perfect, thanks all.

Had a fiddle and it seems pretty good. :)