AOL Conectivity

shao_khan

Got AOL broadband, been working fine. NEtgear 834 router.

Recently laptop has refused to connect, then I found it was pickign an IP address not in the routers range, fixed that so the router and laptop now communicate again, but the laptop will not connect to the web, keeps giving AOL DNS errors, and I cannot understand why.

Anyoen offer any advice, is it an AOL thing or me being stoopid?

Not 100% sure but I had a similar problem when I used AOL a while back - something had got changed on the proxy settings or something so whilst the router and laptop could see each other, it couldn't find the actual internet. I think it was a call to AOL to sort it. Thats always painful.

Might also be worth checking the firmware on the router - again had a similar problem on the Linksys router with BT a while back and a remote firmware upgrade sorted it.

I hated AOL, they drove me to insanity! Hope it gets sorted. +++

Got AOL broadband, been working fine. NEtgear 834 router.

Recently laptop has refused to connect, then I found it was pickign an IP address not in the routers range, fixed that so the router and laptop now communicate again, but the laptop will not connect to the web, keeps giving AOL DNS errors, and I cannot understand why.

Anyoen offer any advice, is it an AOL thing or me being stoopid?

Does the router not support DHCP? You shouldn't really have to specify any IP address on the computer, the router should assign one as well as the default gateway and DNS settings....