Q5 question

seadweller

What is it that defines a car as a so called 'SUV', '4X4' or 'offroader'?

Is it a pysical charictaristic, or just that the manufacturer markets it as one?

Am going to look at a Q5 tomorrow, as an alternative to an A4 (which I do not like the design of), and an A6 (poss a bit too big).

I am not really a fan of proper 'Chelsea tractors' such as the X5, Q7 and Range Rover etc (I think they are lovely cars, but would not want to drive around in one), but get really annoyed by people generalising, and having a pop at such cars, when the same individual critisysm could be leveled at a 'normal' car. ie. "they use a lot of fuel" well so does a Porche. "they are unkind to pedestrians" so is a van/lorry! "the owners cannot drive them properly" err, whats that got to do with the car?

All I can think of in the case of a Q5 (having not seen one yet) is it's height. Is that such a big deal?

I think the Q5 is great, it is notably smaller that my RRsport, or thats how it feels, but it is well appointed inside and was a nice place to be. Having been driving the range rover for almost 12 months now, I'd be very sorry to have to go back to say an A4 again as it just doesnt have the same feel for doign the journeys in.

The problem with the Q5 is that the discounts currently are minimal from what I have found, and the prices get very steep, very quickly - so youre looking at the best part of 40k for a new 2l tdi with a good spec, well that the same prices as a RRsport and as a used car that the same prices a a very good spec RRS / Q7 / X5 / X3 and in my opinion in the current market, it might be good, but it isnt that good and I dotn think i'd take the new car over a better used car.

The physical size of teh cars you get used to quick, I guess even now Dave has a booster seat in his Q7, he is getting used to the car fairly quickly.

The other advantage for me in these is that they are so much easier in dealing witht he kids (not sure if this is a driver for you), but instead of negotiation around the door openning, you have easy access, and they are at a good height if you have to lift them in.

As for the folks that knock them - well they cant help it if they havent got a clue can they...... ;)

Yep, Shao sums it up perfectly.. not much more i can add really...

If you drive a Q5, I would also try a Q7, but ask if you can have it over a weekend.. when you first get in it feels massive (it is!!) but you soon get used to it .. add to that the fact that you can get a cracking deal on a second hand Q7 for much the same money as a new q5!