3 quick questions on Mk5 GTI please

johnnysenna

Fellas, 3 quick questions please:

1) What is special about the way 18" Monzas need to be refurbed to get the slightly more grey finish to the spokes? And I take it they need painting down the sides of the spokes as well? Anywhere in Northeast England do them?

2) My airbag warning light has come on. Is this common? I will get it looked at under warranty.

3) My cruise control fails to come on intermittently, seems like a loose connection someewhere. It is fine at the moment. Does this happen to anyone else's GTI?

Thanks,

John

Hi John,

1) To get the effect, the wheels have to be firstly powdercoated in the grey (or black or whatever colour you want) and then cut back to the alloy - Diamond cut and lastly clear lacqueured. Once the lacquer fails anywhere, moisture ingresses and you get the dreaded spreading white worm.

2) Quite common and VW dealer will easily put right in seconds. Or friend with vagcom/VCDS.

3) Dunno - I never ever use Cruise Control - I hate stuff like that! It's a lazy and de-sensatising feature imo.

HTH

edit... I never ever use Cruise Control - I hate stuff like that! It's a lazy and de-sensatising feature imo

It's not a feature I use a lot of the time either, but it can be quite handy, RR, especially in those sections of motorways when a speed limit is in force and there are average speed cameras littered everywhere.

I've used it all the time on every car I've had - weird!

Motorways for cruising at whatever speed, but also in 30 and 40 zones, where I can set the car to whatever speed and then concentrate more on what's going on around me - like tw*ts on scooters pulling out :ffs: - rather than having to concentrate on keeping to the speed limit.

Jonny - good wheel refurbing is a black art, esp when it comes to clear lacquer. Make sure you use a decent refurbisher with a recommendation +++

I can very strongly recommend A1 Wheel Renovation in Wolverhampton for Monza's. I've got to dash out now but will post more info later today.

Re Cruise Control, my PogoAlert, apart from giving GPS-accurate speed, also gives me my average speed smartly as I drive through any specs and has additional audible warnings - But each to their own and it's my particular preference.

+++ Later....

I really like the big speedo readout on my Pogo Alert, although I'd still rather be looking at what's going on outside in a 30 or 40 zone than making sure I'm going at the right speed.

Not that I've got the luxury of cruise in my daily drive track-toy, before I get a "sensible" car early next year - it's not even got climate :roflmao: