put me straight on dreaded mpg ?

hi, have ran mercedes E240 auto,petrol for 3years & its time to change, overall mpg is 21 with usual 17/18mpg on 8mile trip to work, never been over 27mpg(300 mile motorway run with slippers on)

2nd car is 1.8t passat 20v & absolutely love it ,this has led me to looking at the touareg ,,looking at paying £12/14,000 for 55plate auto,, as opposed to 55plateE270diesel same money (38mpg)

dont believe the stats online so wanted to hear it from the owners!

2.5tdi auto v V6 3.0tdi ,,what can i expect ? other than more power bigger engine!

whats the best motorway mpg?

whats short journey mpg?

thanks

all comments welcome

Sorry to sound like a broken record but the 3.0ltr really is better on fuel despite the increase in cc.

IIRC, the 2.5 TDi in the toerag is the old 5 cylinder unit. So even older than the 2.5 V6. I think they used to put it in the commercial vehicles. Maybe still do.

The V6 is a better, cleaner, more economical engine. Not only more power (220? BHP, but a better and healthier torque spread)

For the cash difference - no hesitation - 3.0 V6 TDi

the quoted stats on parkers,carpages etc say 28mpg on the 2.5 & 25pmg on the 3.0 , ,

is this figure the best they ever achieve or the average over say 500 miles mixed driving?

put another way whats the best any owner has managed ?

Those figures are official bolloxy figures.

All depends on how you drive, where you drive and other conditions.

Go for a test drive on a typical route style and see what results you get.

If you're that bothered about a few mpg, could I ask why in feck's name you're looking at a Toerag? Defies all logic to me.

Anywhere that states a single mpg figure will usually be the manufacturer's mixed cycle figure. If you do alot of urban driving expect less, if you do alot of motorway miles/long journeys expect more.

If you really want a Toerag, take the advice of the good people here and go for a 3.0TDI. The 2.5 diesel is ancient, noisy, dirty, thirsty and so lacking in power you'd have to rev the tits off it all the time to make the thing move (remember, a Toerag does weigh two and a half tons...)

what a great help southist!! ever heard the 1 about better keeping quiet in case you look stupid instead of chirping in and confirming!! strange how switching from passat to touareg postings what a difference in attitudes there is,,,, posted there a few times & everyone helpful

think you,ve swung decision for me , , gona test drive a couple of 6cyl diesel E classes tomorrow!!

northist

what a great help southist!! ever heard the 1 about better keeping quiet in case you look stupid instead of chirping in and confirming!! strange how switching from passat to touareg postings what a difference in attitudes there is,,,, posted there a few times & everyone helpful

think you,ve swung decision for me , , gona test drive a couple of 6cyl diesel E classes tomorrow!!

northist

Thanks for confirming you're a f*cking idiot.

Seems to me that someone who asks for advice on a forum and then rejects it all is beyond help.

Crawl back under the rock from which you were sleeping, you helpless little prick.

"dont believe the stats online so wanted to hear it from the owners" ( OWNERS ) is what i said in original post if you can actually read more than a paragraph & then digest it , not go chipping in with half baked notions about what you,ve overheard at the dogtrack!!

just a couple of easy questions about mpg

ps , ,did you get your mum to help you spell the expletives!!

"dont believe the stats online so wanted to hear it from the owners" ( OWNERS ) is what i said in original post if you can actually read more than a paragraph & then digest it , not go chipping in with half baked notions about what you,ve overheard at the dogtrack!!

Off the top of my head I can't think of a single Touareg owner on the site, so I was trying to be helpful. I although I didn't know that the 2.5 is the old 5 cylinder VAN engine (I thought it was the V6 2.5TDi as used in the Passat and A4/A6) I can tell you that the 3.0TDi is a better engine and more economical, but that wasn't good enough for you was it?! I've driven a lot of cars and after experience with both the V6 2.5TDi and 3.0TDi I was passing on my EXPERIENCES (not "half baked notions") with both engines.

You just can't help some people can you?!! :confused:

thanks for info shark90 , all comments were invited but i meant vehicle related , can sit in the same room as the wife if i want my ear bending !

drove to germany last year in 2.5 a6 & france this year in 2.0 a6 both avants so know exactly what to expect there, unfortunately while the avants impress me i think audi/bmw have become victims of their own success & have diluted their image ,merc heading the same way with volume sales ,what were once niche brands are seen on every corner, , i,ve had 4bmw,s&7mercs but my 1st vw last year opened my eyes(hitler would have been proud if he could see the vw badge dominate europe)

my motoring problem is i only consider spending my hard earned on german engineering

i was drawn to the touareg for its safety,rarity,build quality + internal size with seats down is a big factor for loads to europe,

i am aware its bigger,heavier,less aerodynamic & 4x4 so wanted to post where i hoped other owners could give it me from the horses mouth

i am surprised with your thinking it will be unlikely to find an owner on the forum

I run a tdv6 RRS and on the commute that averages around 31-33mpg (weather dependent!!) and in town / school run its mid 20's maybe upto 27mpg.

The Touareg will be a nice car to do the mileage in, I know our car is. Mate of ours recently picked up a ffrr and that was sub 20k, he is averaging on his commute just under 30.

I see you mention E class - do you need the size? Could you get away with say a Tiguan? 2l tdi will give better economy but its obviously at the expence of space.

:cool:

hi, have ran mercedes E240 auto,petrol for 3years & its time to change, overall mpg is 21 with usual 17/18mpg on 8mile trip to work, never been over 27mpg(300 mile motorway run with slippers on)

2nd car is 1.8t passat 20v & absolutely love it ,this has led me to looking at the touareg ,,looking at paying £12/14,000 for 55plate auto,, as opposed to 55plateE270diesel same money (38mpg)

dont believe the stats online so wanted to hear it from the owners!

2.5tdi auto v V6 3.0tdi ,,what can i expect ? other than more power bigger engine!

whats the best motorway mpg?

whats short journey mpg?

thanks

all comments welcome

depreciation is what will kill that car, they loose shed loads weekly, the 3.0 TDI is basically audi's and it aint that economical, 34 MPG is the max I got from two of these engines and they were, A6 and A8 3.0TDI's, that was nursing them, push them and they are poor.

To be fair to Garcon I was thinking the same, people were explaining about the differences and you seemed to be ignoring what was said.

I had the 2.5tdi in an A4 auto avant, 2WD, and the best I got from that was 38mpg on a very steady run, over a year and 25k miles it returned 33mpg.

Short (sub 10 mile) journeys would see 30mpg in the summer and 26mpg in the winter.

That is a 1 ton, CVT gearbox FWD car.

Stick that same engine in a 2.5 tonne, 4WD tiptronic car and I would guess the average will be around 26mpg, seeing 20ish on short journeys and just over 30mpg on a long steady run. If you like to cruise at 90mph then expect to see mid twenties on a run too.

The 3.0tdi is better, but only by a couple of MPG.

You have the most thirsty E Class out there, only the V8's drink more.

I can only get 21/22 mpg from an E240, in my E320 estate I get 26 average.

E270 cdi is alright, had one for 12 months, but it only returned 32mpg average, in fact round town I would get 26mpg from the E270cdi and I get 24mpg from the E320 petrol, and with the 15% premium for diesel there is no cost savings at all buying the diesel really.

You have got a very thirsty car for the performance, or lack of it and I think it is the fact you have to give it some all the time is the reason it gets through so much of it.

I have to agree with Garcon, if you are seriously worried about consumption a Toureg is not the right car to buy, it will cost more to run than your E240, in both depreciation and fuel costs.

Why not look at a nice E320 avantgarde estate?

You could be into a nice 530d touring for that sort of money and that will return 30+ mpg all day long, and be nice and pacey too.

I love the Toureg, but understand they cost lots to run.