Virgin Media 50Mbps for £35pm*

Sponge

£35/month if you have a phone line from them at £11/month or £51/month if you just have broadband. When it is available in my area I'll go for it, yeah it's overkill but I don't pay for my broadband so I may as well get it.

The 1.5Mbps upload would be very nice.

From another forum:

Liverpool

19-Dec :jump:

New York(Newcastle area)

15-Dec

Hayes

15-Dec

Wigan

19-Dec

Croydon

19-Dec

Bradford

15-Dec

Wolverhampton

19-Dec

Dundee

15-Dec

Glenrothes

15-Dec

these are the first areas to get 50mb thanks to my mate in VM

More reading and it seems there's a £30 installation fee and £50 activation fee!

Edited by Sponge

Yes, it is. My last flat had fibre into the building courtesy of COLT and during the day the internet performance was astonishing - it completely changes the way you use t'internet.

I'd be going into the office to copy up DVDs, VMWare images etc. whereas once that was put in it was just as easy to squirt them up the VPN - it was actually our work end that became the bottle-neck.

The large scale adoption of high-bandwidth connections will revolutionise how we communicate even more dramatically than always on ADSL IMHO +++

We should see a shift to home publishing within a few years too, which would be good. I mean a few people do it already - I already house my own web site & Exchange systems at home :rolleyes:

I'm currently on 20Mb (XL) and I think I'm paying £35 a month for that (well actually my employer pays £25 towards it!)

So it seems it could be a free upgrade. I just hope I actually get the quoted throughput. I wonder how much cheaper it will be if I don't upgrade.

You lot make me laugh. No, really, you do.

I live in the middle of nowhere. BT can't provision any more broadband lines to the village, because they've run out of cable. Everything runs down aluminium cable, not copper (yes, really - it was a cost saving exercise in the 70s).

And I get about 300 Kbps from their 1/2 Meg service :roflmao:

Milton Keynes was wired in aluminum, which as you know is a carp medium for ADSL via line :grin:

I imagine the quality of life in the village outweighs your desire to have high speed bandwidth in the home- your just have to stay at work late to do those streaming videos and high bandwidth d/loads.

Have you tried the £15 per month vodafone internet dongle :confused:

It's not that long ago (we're only talking 9/10 years) I was on 56k dial up. As I'm sure many of you were too. It makes me cringe when I think back and compare it to what I have today (20mb).

I've actually had no TV, telephone or internet since 11am yesterday. It finally came back on a couple of hours ago. I have no idea what went wrong, but the contractors were in the street all day with wires everywhere. Presumably trying desperately to fix it. Every time I called VM status line the eta for a fix was shifting - 4pm, 8pm, 11pm... :rolleyes:

It's annoying as hell, but in the grand scheme of things the service hasn't been too bad. This was the first time in a long time something's gone wrong. I'm going to call them tomorrow and demand a refund for loss of service. They always offer something.

I totally agree that VM's traffic management is beyond belief and they shouldn't be allowed to call it an unlimited service. I shouldn't have to alter my habits to accommodate it, but I have. I now do all my d/l overnight and have never been throttled.

I understand 50mb with have no traffic management, initially. But when the service is nationwide, it will.

Edited by Sponge

Milton Keynes was wired in aluminum, which as you know is a carp medium for ADSL via line :grin:

I imagine the quality of life in the village outweighs your desire to have high speed bandwidth in the home- your just have to stay at work late to do those streaming videos and high bandwidth d/loads.

Have you tried the £15 per month vodafone internet dongle :confused:

My kids use t'Internet at home more than I do, but yes, you're right - I'm not bothered about the speed. Ironically we don't get mobile coverage at home either :roflmao:

Update:

Postcode check results

Great news! 50Mb broadband is available where you live

Cable services

Because you're in a fibre optic cable area, you can get all this.

* Up to 50Mb broadband

* Over 165 digital TV channels

* Great value home phone packages

To order 50Mb broadband now just give our team a call on 0800 052 0783.

I keep meaning to call VM to negotiate a new deal. Maybe I should ask for 50mb? :grin:

I'm more than happy with Be ( O2?) to want to change. In fact Be Internet have just announced a new service they are about to offer.

They are bonding 2 phone lines together to get 48mbs, not sure how much it is but worth while if you don't want to go with Virgin. +++

Be Readies 48Mbit DSL Service - Networking News - TrustedReviews

Will look into this, sounds good. And yeh Be are owned by 02.