a.w.o.l

mkoneman

I was thinking it seemed really quiet too, an update from myself. I had Two new CV Boots, some anti roll bar links, upper control arms and a new handbrake cable fitted to my '8 today from what I remember, and its going for a retest on Fri. The chap who done the work saw no reason why it shouldn't pass its MOT so fingers crossed. Ohh also had my new Quads fitted recently and the sound has got much better now its got about 1k miles on it, I would defently recommend it. Next to come a facelift armrest and cambelt. I may even have a word with A8 Parts about a new facelift front end I'm also getting it remapped in January, a company thats doing my 335D has quoted an 18BHP gain on my A8 for £199! So what's everyone else been up to? +++

it has been dreadfully quite, i am working nights and need to keep my self busy, so reading tyresmoke helps,

so heres what ive been up to this week, went up to scotland in the s8 340 miles 23.9 mpg, on the way up and a massive 26 mpg back home.

car went in to audi for service, i had them change it to fixed rather than avs, i also had cv boot replaced, all in for £311 not to bad i thought.

had them quote for spare key £165 and i need rear brake caliper £350.

also had some warrenty work done on the gearbox selector.

Edited by alymac

mine is the dirtiest it has ever been and causing my ocd to flair up, lol

been spending a bit of time with the esp off and tiptronic on for some seriously fun power slides

and I've been busy doing my girlfriends newly acquired beetle so I've been on that most of the time and been on the beetle forums to get clued up

a pic of it so far, I'm fitting the coilovers this weekend

done a wheel refurb same style as mine but in 18's and the body colour

alpine motorized monitor headunit with ipod interface

colour coded vase and red flower:)

osram bulbs

007-2.jpg

I'm still here. My brake lines have yet to arrive so I have 2Ks worth of brakes sat in the garage doing sod all! :(

I am working over Xmas so I have 2 weeks off in January and the 8 goes into the diy garage for a refit. Hope to get the brakes on; finish the new exhaust; Plastic weld up the rear bumber with new cutouts for the exhaust; fit the new LPG tanks; spot repair the stone chip damage and some light scratching to the paintwork and do a full detail of the outside. Also got a couple of other projects I might try. Never been happy with my LPG filler cap and managed to get a filler cap cut from a broken 8, so might try mirrored fuel filling points. Just need the nerve to cut a hole in the rear nearside wing. Might try to pluck up courage:eek:.

Mery Christmas to all the readers! :grin:

Mike

Mine is hibernating in the garage, it did 2500 miles last year, theres almost no point in having it. I don't know what else to do to it almost everything is done.

Any ideas?

So far it has:

body coloured lower sills

stainless EPS quad exhaust

Audi xenon lights

Car PC

7" in dash touchscreen

Alpine headunit

2 x Sony Amps

2 x 8" Audiobhan subs

all door speakers updgraded

facelift armrests

alcantara instead of walnut

20" S-line style slloys

K&N panel filter

removed and cleaned all carpets

maybe other stuff that i can't remember!

I’m a very happy bunny I got my A8 back, my buddy Mark (if any one needs any body work done is S London /Kent/Surrey he is amazing!) did a fantastic Job fixing/spraying the wing, bumper, lights, washer jets ect.

As a special little present for me he got a high polish put on the wheels, and the most amazing valet done, plus and clear side indicator. I will get the Eibach’s on between Xmas and New Year. I’m going to get rid of the MTM Reps as I really like the standard wheels with a polish on them and may get slightly lower profile tyres on them. Also going to de-badge the car between Xmas and New Year.

I would like to thank Dave, Dave and Ian at A8 parts for there help and sorting out the problems we had with parts….top Guys!

Seems like everyone's getting CV boots done at the moment!

I'm busy with work, big push getting stuff done before the xmas break, plus I'm doing an OU degree so that keeps me busy an extra 3 hours a night after the 11+ hours at work...

I'm enjoying my 8 now that it's all working properly again and freshly MOT'd. I need to carry out an oil/filters change in the new year and do a serious valet inside & out as it is a filthy looking thing at the moment.

Planning to get my audio in too, just need some time to have a go at it. Just ordered a new laptop to put VAG-COM on, probably get delivered early january.

Need to have a look at getting some hangers welded to the new backbox as the current hanger bolts to one of the towbar holes (which is of course not available on mine as I have a towbar fitted). That will have to wait until well into the new year.

Be interesting to see any pics you might have of your audio Botang, speaker placement, mods etc :)

I'm also still stalking the forums but every time I pop my head in I just see the tumble weed role across the screen.

Me and family have been a bit poorly; some sort of flu virus crap, REAL nasty. But prior to catching this I resited the multimedia player:

attachment.php?attachmentid=34822&d=1229614424

I'm gonna sort out the blown bulb in the climate control display unit.

ccbulbout.jpg

I've got a few of the bulbs now just waiting for some holidays and good health:rolleyes:

post-5048-137914425067_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ska

I've been busy so not much time to post....

But basically the S8 was converted to MMI 3G and then back again. It was partial success in that I could use the navigation, but I had no sound from the radio or CD or telephone system which to me are very important.

I think my issues are around the B&O amp which is option 8RF and the new B&O which is 9VK and has newer software so my amp didn't understand the new MMI 3G parts. If I had kept my old A8 4.2 Tdi with BOSE it would have been a different story.

So the MMI 3G project is on hold until the new year when more information and software will be available from people like Kufatec and the forums.

In the mean time my steering column has packed up so my wheel is set low, quite annoying.

I've just fitted the rear view camera and I'm currently cabling that through the boot lid to the rear of the car, but it started raining heavily. When it ease off I'll finish that up.

it has been dreadfully quite, i am working nights and need to keep my self busy, so reading tyresmoke helps,

so heres what ive been up to this week, went up to scotland in the s8 340 miles 23.9 mpg, on the way up and a massive 26 mpg back home.

car went in to audi for service, i had them change it to fixed rather than avs, i also had cv boot replaced, all in for £311 not to bad i thought.

had them quote for spare key £165 and i need rear brake caliper £350.

also had some warrenty work done on the gearbox selector.

I might be wrong but if you buy a key (ebay) and get it cut (local locksmith) I think I can code it up for you. If you want me to have a look to see if I can before you decide then let me know. I'm in North Notts +++

Be interesting to see any pics you might have of your audio Botang, speaker placement, mods etc :)

920110-stereo.jpg

It has 5" Boston Acoustics components in the front doors, 5" Infinty reference components in the rear doors which are powered by the 4 channel sony amp (right one), and two 8" Audiobhan's in a box behind the Amp panel which vent through the rear shelf which are powered by the 1 ohm stable 2 channel Sony amp(left one). Theres also the Alpine oversized head unit, and the carPC with 7" in dash touchscreen .

The internal speakers are invisible from the inside of the car they have replaced the originals albeit larger than standard.

920110-stereo.jpg

It has 5" Boston Acoustics components in the front doors, 5" Infinty reference components in the rear doors which are powered by the 4 channel sony amp (right one), and two 8" Audiobhan's in a box behind the Amp panel which vent through the rear shelf which are powered by the 1 ohm stable 2 channel Sony amp(left one). Theres also the Alpine oversized head unit, and the carPC with 7" in dash touchscreen .

The internal speakers are invisible from the inside of the car they have replaced the originals albeit larger than standard.

Now that's a tidy looking install, I like that. That's more in line with what I want actually. Good job there Botang, how does it sound?

Is the box face we see there built parallel to the rear seat panel? Interesting if that's the case - it takes up less room than building it with a vertical face I suspect.

Interesting indeed...

I'm also still stalking the forums but every time I pop my head in I just see the tumble weed role across the screen.

Me and family have been a bit poorly; some sort of flu virus crap, REAL nasty. But prior to catching this I resited the multimedia player:

What do you think to it sited there? I like that spot for my Alpine.

These two posts have spurred me on now, I need to get mine finished...

Edited by DJStrange

Well mine had its 40,000 miles service. New set of front pads and a new pollen filter that’s about it. The lacquer on the gearknob has developed a couple of cracks which is annoying me. Cost of a replacement in dark graid ash = £150 + fitting and a long wait I imagine.

I sold my Maser as well this week it had only done 900 miles since March. Way things are it was not worth keeping it with the miles it was doing.

That said I fancy an m6 but they are almost impossible to get at the moment with the prices dropping so much. I am going to give it a good clean tomorrow as we are going to a wedding this weekend. With the weather it will be filthy in around 60 seconds. Never mind.

Edited by alera

Now that's a tidy looking install, I like that. That's more in line with what I want actually. Good job there Botang, how does it sound?

Is the box face we see there built parallel to the rear seat panel? Interesting if that's the case - it takes up less room than building it with a vertical face I suspect.

The pannel you see there isnt the box, the box is shaped to make room of the space behind the seats, that is fixed into the car. Then there are two further pannels one for mounting the amps on and one as a cover to make it look pretty. I was tempted to go completely stealth and cover the whole lot in carpet but decided it wasnt necessary in the end.

It has a home cinema kinda style, its high quality full range rather than being particularly bassy. It has enough bass to give a nice punch without the real low rumble.

Hi Botang, would you mind posting some pictures of your Car PC and 7'' touch screen? +++

These are some old pictures but its pretty much the same. I run a new skin now thats all.

Off:

993293-pc2.jpg

boot up:

993294-pc3.jpg

with media car skin:

993297-pc4.jpg

Windows XP:

993299-pc5.jpg

Night Shot:

993300-pc1.jpg

The actual pc is mounted in the glove box along with the carnetix power supply which deals with the auto start and shutdown.

I have a wireless keyboard with built in mouse that sits in the boot but it is really only ever used for software installation, etc as the touchscreen deals with almost everything.

I'm gonna sort out the blown bulb in the climate control display unit.

ccbulbout.jpg

I've got a few of the bulbs now just waiting for some holidays and good health:rolleyes:

Is it hard (well time consuming?) to replace the bulb??...that exact one on mine has gone as well!!!

Just watch out for those instructions. The screws at the bottom that they point out are the wrong ones!.. It's the ones next to it you need to remove, otherwise you will bend the retaining clips.

Also, mine had a screw at the top inside the air vent that was holding the console in, make sure you get to that (it's easy to get to once the vent is out.

Hi all - my little pen'orth -

I serviced the 8 a couple of weeks ago, all the filters etc. No need for pads

Then my wife's clutch on her polo went - or made the 'bearing about to let go' noise so that had to get done, and THEN just when that was done, the Dizzy bearings failed so had to get and fit one of those.

Nothing on the 8 - other than the same dreams of different wheels, and trying (failing this time of year) to save up for CAM belt, rollers , water pump etc. I think I am looking at £500 aren't I? anyone know anywhere good let me know - was even maybe going to ask the stealer in the new year. Would love to do some stuff - having decided pretty much that keeping it is the way to go considering prices these days. Wise move, the new 6 is ok and 'new' but the 8 still makes me grin.

Perhaps we should have a meet to cheer us all up soon / new year?

Otherwise, house move, job move possibly, and just ticked over 142k. In a nutshell

My very best regards to you and those close over the next couple of weeks.

Simon