Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SINGH

Climate control panel lights - E87 D2 PFL

22 posts in this topic

I was planning on doing this to my '8 before the gearbox decided to die on me! RE what you said in the other thread I can understand you spending 2 hours on it, Mine looks a bit odd at night with one climate display out, and even though my cars probably worth less than 2k, to me its worth allot more and I still want it to be perfect. My main mile muncher is a 335d and cost me £24k in October and I have to say, I find myself picking up the keys to the A8 not the Beemer when heading for work most days. Its alot more comfortable and I just prefer to spend time in it. Amazing cars these A8s no matter what their trade prices currently are.

Sorry for going a bit off topic!

P.S Great write up Ska +++

No problem thanks for the comments/

Sentimental value seems to over ride my logic when it comes to this car. I like the rest of the TSN massive have proly spent thousands on keeping these babies in top condition but conveniently bypass that thought. But like you say it has its rewards. A nieghbour of mine has an Astra thats just had its first MOT- it failed and needed £600 worth of work; for a three year old car thats nuts. Ever since I have had the A8 it's never failed an MOT (although got an advisory on the rear caliper last time but have changed that from A8parts all sorted).

I have a great amount of sentimental value towards my first A8 4.2 Sport. I brought it from a main Audi dealer when it was about two years old with around 20k on the clock. I still remember the day I picked it up from the Audi dealer, I love it. Its the reason I brought another 8 to cover miles in. My first one spends its days in the garage and barley comes out once a month, its mint though. Not a dink on the bodywork and I've had all the alloys refurbished as well. I wouldn't sell it even if I was offered what I paid for it in 1998. Weird how we get attached to cars eh?

have you filed this in the top tips and how to section? Mind you .. I don't have an 'off' button as you know.. so prolly can't replace mine :-(

You could always have a look to see if you have those screws on the control unit. I'll stick it in the usefull tit bits section like you said

PS I haven't forgot about your watch just had way, way too much stuff going on past few weeks.

Am going to attempt this myself, have ordered a pack of ten of these bulbs from eBay. If anyone wants to do this as well I could send them out? Drop me a PM with your address.

Forgot to ask does anyone know which bulbs I need for the third level brake light?

IIRC they are capless 501 12v 5watt bulbs I think X4 or 5. I have tried LED versions but they offer no real noticable improvement.

Thanks Ska, have ordered a set of third level brake light bulbs too. I tried changing the bulbs in the climate display today, got as far as taking the wood trim off and pulling the dash outwards then realised that none of the screwdrivers I had would fit into the climate control screws, why make them that small! Do you know what size screwdriver it is, I've left the car as it is and hope to continue tomorrow.

P.s Does anyone know how to remove the top air vents?

The screws are precision size phillips head (+). I bought an electronic precision tool from Maplins Maplin > precision tools

I can't remeber which but of the three I have in my pack they read as follows for size:

No.00x50

No.0x50

No.1x50

To remove the vent place a reasonably wide flat srcew driver either end of the vent and prise out carefuly; though it takes some doing as they are a tight fit. Once off there are two electrical connectors to remove before you can remove from situ. After this remove that bolt behind the vents as shown on page 1.+++

Wait a minute, how did you remove the wood trim and move the console forward if the vent is in place & that bolt is still there?

Thanks for that info Ska. I just pulled the dash out from the bottom gently and got to the nuts, after disconnecting the wood trim from the switches the wood trim came off...

Done! Thats much better and the screwdriver that was needed was 0x50. Thanks for all your help Ska +++

Also done the third level brake light, they were indeed 501 12v 5watt bulbs ask you said.

Am going to attempt this myself, have ordered a pack of ten of these bulbs from eBay. If anyone wants to do this as well I could send them out? Drop me a PM with your address.

Annoyingly.. Mine went, on the passenger side, yesterday - do you still have any bulbs left!?:confused:

PM me your address and I will try and get them out for you for tomorrow +++

PM me your address and I will try and get them out for you for tomorrow +++

Its on the way - fingers crossed I can replace mine on 'the one thing after another' car :-)

Got your PM Harpersimon but keep getting disconnected so you may or may not have received a reply. Glad to hear its sorted though, did you notice that with the bulbs I sent you the climate display is slightly brighter than the rest of the dash? e.g the radio. Funny because I used the exact same bulbs that Ska used in the pictures the 1.2 jobbies and he couldn't tell the diffrence?

I think they are slightly brighter but not enough to worry about. Reason I think this is because one of the bulbs you sent didn't work so I put an orignial back in the middle, so if I stare long enough I guess the fan speed display looks alittle dimmer.