I cant afford a 330i - can i?

swiller

Hi all, new to the forum. Just thought i would open with a rant about my new motor which i am a bit over the moon with...

I wanted to upgrade from my 2002 318i se with 158000 on the clock. That being my first bmw, i fell in love with the bmw ethos. To me that means great driving,comfort, stylish, practical, reliable, fairly cheap to run. Something newer with a bit more poke i thought. So with a budget of 12k, down to the car supermarket, cargiant in this instance who have a large selection of good cars at v good prices.

"How about a 330i saloon sir? You said you wanted something a bit special". Enquired the salesman "Running costs!" i replied. "Ok" he said, "these go for 20-30% less than the equivelant 330d, and about the same as a 320d... you ring your insurnace company, quote the reg plate and they should quote you happy". And they did - £140 more annually than my old 318i se. "Ok" i said, "whats the mpg?". "Depends how you drive it. With the cruise locked in at 70 on the motorway, expect 35-40mpg, combined is usually 30, and leathering it down the country roads about 25. mmnnn

"Ok, take me for a test drive". Funny thing is, i only scratched the surface on the test drive but was so impressed with the car i bought it there and then. It had the options i wanted, and not the ones i didnt. I would have liked xenons, but hey.. Over the next few weeks i found out what a magnificent machine the 330i is. Once i got it home i started my analysis....

So, into sport mode on the auto gearbox, on a quiet residential straight road from standstill with the foot firmly on the floor.. the acceleration is outstanding. I laughed out loud. After a couple of days of grinning ownership, i drove this hard round the gower peninsula in wales, b roads around brecon and a roads around hereford, with the foot down through twists and turns, dare i say it, i almost got a boner. Its poise, power, brakes, steering and driving experience is just incredible.

The bad points, yes there are a few... The indicator sticks and the wiper sticks. re- invented for the e90. If it aint broke, dont fix it. Its a minor quibble, but i am still correcting my signals sometimes, which must make me look like an arse on the roads. The hard ride. This is without the m suspension on run flats. Around london streets it can be a bit too stiff. Closing the front windows from the drivers seat needs arms like mr tickle. I prefered them near the gearbox on the e46. No engine temp gauge, but i hope that never becomes relevant, there is a warning light if things get too hot. It feels bigger than it is. (i cant quite work out whether thats good or bad, its how i imagined a 5 series to feel). Sticky door handle (now fixed with a drop of oil).

But i dont give a shite about all that..

Its a bit of a fluke buying this as a 330i wasnt on the shortlist. But i have driven a good few cars and been in lots more and for 12 grand and decent running costs, its pretty much perfect motoring. Really, i mean that.

Taking into account annual running costs, depreciation, insurance and fuel etc.. over 3 years this will cost about the same as taking a brand new bog standard 1.8 focus out of the showroom.... Now why would you want to do that? :ffs:

Specs...

e90 330i se, titanium silver, 17in alloys

Sports seats full black leather, with inflatabe side thingys.

Automatic.

Aliminium trim.

255 bhp.

0-60 6.3secs. (auto)

27k on clock

sep 2005 (55 plate).

Cost £11,950 Dec 08. (new 30k)

30mpg average since bought a roads, london driving, motorway.

No active steering, i drive, eleccy seats or xenons.

What a motor!! Heres a few crappy pics from mobile, complete with jaggies. I will do some proper ones with the slr soon.+++ Great forum folks.

post-23774-13791442534_thumb.jpg

Edited by swiller

Thanks for the shouts all. I'll do some proper pics on weekend. Car mad, just read your excellent review and your car looks fantastic. Was very tempted on the lemon leather, was a compromise in the end to have black leather 330i, over a pricier 325i with lemon leather. Great colour the blue. As you have changed to non runflats, have you had to buy an additional spare wheel? It looks like there is space for one in the lower part of the boot. The runflats look v expensive to replace, so im intrigued from a long term £ perspective as well as the ride.

Cheers ++

Swiller.

Nope no spare just the BMW Mobility kit that might help in the event of a problem.

As for the runflats. Michelin Pilot Sports are £247 each for the rears but I got a complete set of Goodyears F1 Assys for £550 fitted and so far they have been a great buy and really help the ride. +++

Like you I went for a cat at a great price, not the perfect spec but its a great compromise and a cracking car. :eclipse:

I'd suggest changing the run-flats to normal tyres when the time comes. I've just had some Dunlop SP Maxx's put on my 330 and the difference in ride quality and grip just takes the biscuit. I can't believe BMW can actually claim they give near identical performance. I've still got the standard tyres on the 325 but i'm going to have proper tyres put on that to, it'll be some beast after that and a 330i re-map.

They're cheaper to buy, the ride in my car is smoother (I have the sport suspension so this was good) and there's tonnes more grip and feedback from the steering. I've done 72,000 miles in it now, wish i'd had them done at 20,000.

Thanks all, will change the tyres when they need it. Will get a bmw mobility kit to keep it legal. Right some pics of the car as promised. Im thinking of adding a sat nav and the new blaupunkts look cool showing directions with actual driving video on screen through a cam. Done 2000 miles in last month. Keeps getting better and better. Looks like the car has the sports package, with steering wheel and seats. Does that mean it has the harder suspension? Anyways, heres some pics..

post-23774-137914425926_thumb.jpg

post-23774-137914425931_thumb.jpg

post-23774-137914425936_thumb.jpg

post-23774-13791442594_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

thanks tom, after a few months ownership and some reading, i suspect i have the normal suspension. Thanks for the input... Now then, whats this like in the snow? Well i had to go to work today and braved some steep downhills and uphills along non gritted roads in north central london. My conclusion is that the traction control on this car really is amazing. I saw cars jacknifing, skidding but the dtc kept this one all under control beautifully. Only problem was that coming out of a car park from stationary in deep snow/ice with the dtc on, it didnt move with the foot to the floor, refusing to rev more than 2000 rpm and just slipping. With the dtc off it was a 7000 rpm affair to get it moving, which was quite scary. When i got going, I tried the non dtc mode around a couple of quiet corners on some very slippery surfaces and nearly crashed many a time. With the dtc on, it provided a sensible adjustment of the danger on the road and accomodated accordingly, with no scary moments. Not many opportunites to test in such extreme conditions, so i did and it delivered. Just another reason why i love this car. +++

Only problem was that coming out of a car park from stationary in deep snow/ice with the dtc on, it didnt move with the foot to the floor, refusing to rev more than 2000 rpm and just slipping. With the dtc off it was a 7000 rpm affair to get it moving, which was quite scary.

As a matter of interest, did you try setting off in a higher gear (e.g. 2nd/3rd)?

He has an Auto so setting off in 3rd isn't possible.

It's a characteristic of the Auto. The ice/snow just acts as a stopper against the wheels and prevents the car creeping and getting a smoother move away. So when you rev it, the wheels can't grip and you get the wheelspin.

Quite right, and i didnt even check whether i could put in manual mode and strat from 2nd or third. I just floored the sod in pure infantile fashion with dtc off. And it made it move, but its arse went 90 degrees sideways. :roflmao:

Quite right, and i didnt even check whether i could put in manual mode and strat from 2nd or third. I just floored the sod in pure infantile fashion with dtc off. And it made it move, but its arse went 90 degrees sideways. :roflmao:

LOL. Didn't realise it is an auto. Should have paid more attention to the first post in this thread!!

Tom, I appreciate your explanation about the characteristics of the auto. So what would happen if you tried manually selecting third? I've never driven an auto, so just curious really.

Its due for its second service ever, with 30600 on the clock. Light has been on for a couple of hundred miles so its booked in. Im used to e46 service so you know what to expect each time (inspection 1/2, oil etc). E90s are different of course. I have checked the dash and nothing big due. So i assume its just an oil change? Any ideas? Im hoping to come out of there £150-£250 damaged. Anyone with experience of servicing a 3 series after 30k miles on its second service?

ta

Swill

I took it in to hr owen in holland park today and to my surprise, with a swift scan of the key thingy its free servicing until sep 2010, which is five years after registration, its done 30k. That put a smile on my face ;) until i asked..

whether the oil in the car would be changed today and he said no, its another 4000 mile/ 6 months for that. (it was last oil serviced at 17500 sep 07 and the computer says another 4000/6 mth - taking into 2 year/18,000 mile territiry without an oil change). So i requested one and explained i would be happy to pay for it and got quite a defensive response from the service manager, somethin along the lines of???.. "Trust me sir, it is not necessary, we are tryin to save you money, another 4000 miles, or 6 months the car is saying, and when the time comes, we will do it free". I went with his advice.

The reason why i took it in, was bcos the dashboard was saying service. But they have done nothing to it, apart from a windscreen washer top up. They could have just kicked the tyres for all i know. Its either next generation customer service (as its free) or shortening the lifespan of the cars = more new cars bought. I cant quite make up my mind on that one.

One thing they did correctly point out was the front right tyre was balder than kojak on chemo. So i am switching to non runflats tomorrow on 17inch wheels. The goodyear gsd3 eagles for £98.36 seem a decent bet at local kwikfit. Any other ideas gratefully recieved.

Re the indicators - if you push the stalk the same direction as you are turning, it turns it off.

Only just found this out and agree that the soft tough can be annoying when you push the opposite way to turn it off and end up indicated the other way!

LOL. Didn't realise it is an auto. Should have paid more attention to the first post in this thread!!

Tom, I appreciate your explanation about the characteristics of the auto. So what would happen if you tried manually selecting third? I've never driven an auto, so just curious really.

As soon as you put it in 3rd it just goes back to 2nd. There's nothing you can do about it, not sure you'd want to either it'd be pretty slow and jerky.

The indicators just need a few days of getting used to. I like them.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the tip bells, makes the whole indicator problem extinct.

Just thought i would post an update after 5 months of ownership...

I have put 6000 on the clock (now 33k) and absolutely sod all gone wrong which is great!! Some observations...

1) Engine seems to get slicker the older it gets. Needs warming up tho.

2) In the 6000 miles it has drunk some oil, from right on max, to 5 mm from low gauge. Oil serv due in July.

3) Been driving it mostly on the twistys, avoiding motorways - so lots of hooning.

4) get 26mpg on average with plenty of high revs. 37-39 mpg on the motorway with cruise locked at 70-80mph.

5) The manual mode is brilliant, only just discovered this as the default way to drive.

6) Tyres needed a change and went for runflats again, despite me 99% sure i wouldnt. It was the guy with an e46 m3 and a 330d behind the kwik fit counter that persuaded me the bridgestones have got lots better. He aint wrong. Mine made in feb 2009. Got all four corners done for 525. The old bridgestones were on the car since new, and i changed when 3 mm. So 30k miles + aint bad from a set of tyres. Another reason why i went for rfts again. The ride is fine now, prob just cos they are new rfts.

7) These seem to have got more expensive. Mine was 12k in december, with 27k on clock. Cant find owt that cheap with similar spec, age.

8) Hard braking on uneven surfaces makes it nervous. DTC off takes some of the "juddering/skipping" away when accelerating on uneven surfaces. It aint just the RFT's imho.

9) Really enjoying the non i drive cockpit. Basic, yes, but it just shouts "grab the wheel and drive me". Bought a £100 quid sat nav which does a great job and has bluetooth, speed cams etc (navman s80). A poor mans i drive.

10) I cannot stop revving it. Foot in the carpet, kick down, straight six roar. Yum yum.

Happy days. Cant beleive how much i have saved in running costs/repairs vs 2002 e46 318i and the complete pleasure in the driving experience and the creamy delivery of power. Still absolutely loving it 5 months on.+++

• 3 weeks later...

Good to hear that you're enjoying the car Swiller.

I was originally thinking of an e46 330, but thanks to your suggestion in the thread I started back in January I have now ended up going for an e90 330i M Sport Touring. Planning to pick it up Friday and can't wait!

It took me a while to find the right car 'cause there haven't been that many cars around and the prices have gone back up a little since January. Its a really high spec in Le Mans blue and just over £5K over what I was originally thinking of spending :eek:, but its going to be a car I will keep for quite a while and I'm sure that I'm going to enjoy it.

So cheers again and I'll let you know how its going once I've picked it up! :beer:

Good to hear that you're enjoying the car Swiller.

I was originally thinking of an e46 330, but thanks to your suggestion in the thread I started back in January I have now ended up going for an e90 330i M Sport Touring. Planning to pick it up Friday and can't wait!

It took me a while to find the right car 'cause there haven't been that many cars around and the prices have gone back up a little since January. Its a really high spec in Le Mans blue and just over £5K over what I was originally thinking of spending :eek:, but its going to be a car I will keep for quite a while and I'm sure that I'm going to enjoy it.

So cheers again and I'll let you know how its going once I've picked it up! :beer:

Great choice, kinda wish i had gone for an m sport. Im sure you wont be disappointed. Some great roads near you to enjoy it to its full. Post up a review once yer involved +++