OXO Tower Restaurant

Mac

I had dinner last night at the OXO Tower Restaurant so I thought I'd share the experience.

Firstly, I managed to get a lot of jokes in about 'taking her up the oxo tower' however fortunately these jokes went straight over my dinner guest's head. Still, made me laugh.

I'm not usually one for poncy restaurants and I tend to draw the line at some of the Conrans, however for a Christmas treat I thought we'd do the OXO. I have been numerous times over the years as it's quite popular for corp entertainment.

The location is absolutely stunning - but only if you get the correct side of the restaurant. Essentially the choice is a fantastic view up the Thames toward St. Paul's or a view over downtown Southwark.... Which is not so nice.

Most times I've been previously I've typically ended up mid-floor or with a view over Southwark - but this time as it wasn't so busy we had a seat right by the window looking over and up the Thames. With a clear night the view was spectacular.

On to the food. I was kind of expecting to get some nice food but want a pizza on the way home as is the way of some of these places, but I was massively surprised.

Starters were very generous and downright delicious. I had some weird mushroomy thing with pasta and some kind of cheese... Sounds a bit odd but it was absolutely fantastic.

Main for me was fillet of Beef and some sides. Again, the quality of the food and the attention to detail on the presentation was spectacular, I really don't think I've seen it done better anywhere else.

Same for the deserts really.

The other thing that really struck me about the way they 'managed' the restaurant. The service was again very good and in such a way as to be very non-intrusive. We never once had to look to ask to get our wine/champagne glasses refilled and they rarely ended up below half a glass.

The service was fantastic IMHO. There's nothing worse in restaurants than constant interruptions from waiting staff, it just gets on your nerves. We didn't have that at all, and it was much to their credit.

Conversely when we were ordering and didn't understand things on the menu they were very good at explaining all the options, what would go with what etc.

All in all it was a very relaxed evening with fantastic food, great wine, brilliant service and a great view thrown in to boot.

The only downside really was the price - it's quite expensive. To be fair we both had three courses and there was a bottle of champagne in there but the total bill came to £220.00. They also by default add in 12.5% service charge.

I knew it was going to be pricey and I knew it was for something special.

I can't recommend the place enough if you want to impress somebody or give them a treat +++

It's located about a 15 minute walk from Embankment tube or 10 mins from Blackfriars station and is all the way up on the 8th floor.

Sounds good mate,

we're up in London soon, hoping to do a house swap with some friends up there.

Do you need to book?.. and if so how long in advance? And how dressy is it?.. could i take the kids?

I think my wife would love it "up the oxo tower" :grin:

Yes you need to book IMO. You can take the kids - H has had dinner there although she found the food a bit fancy.

Dress code is smart casual. I had jeans and a shirt on and it was fine +++

Web site is here: Oxo Tower Restaurant at Harvey Nichols OXO Tower, London. Book online for luxury dining.

There's also a Brasserie that's pretty good. Not quite up to the standard of the restaurant but then again it's a lot cheaper. It's on the same floor so still has great views.

:grin: Lady T took me there for my birthday a few years ago, sitting outside in the sunshine for lunch was really nice, great food and great service too. Does seem to be one of those restaurants that has good days and bad days as I've read some dire reviews as well as some amazing ones +++

Can never talk about the OXO Tower without dragging this up Oxo Tower Restaurant Review by rachel

When my boyfriend told me he wanted to take me up the Oxo Tower for my birthday, I was a bit hesitant at first because I didn't really think it was my scene. How wrong I was! I mean, yeah, so it's a bit of a strain on the old back pocket, and I admit I did feel a bit uncomfortable initially. But a couple of cocktails helped me relax and soon I was really getting into it - we carried on well into the night. It was a great experience and I really loved it - so much so that I won't let my boyfriend take me anywhere else now! So if anyone ever wants to take you up the Oxo Tower, just throw caution to the wind and go for it!

Saturday, December 22, 2007

I took a young lady there once, probably about 10 years ago. Tried to "impress" her with my choice of dining venues and it was hugely expensive then. Her old man had bought her the lease on one of the retail units below so she could sell her range of lingerie.:grin:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
:grin: Lady T took me there for my birthday a few years ago, sitting outside in the sunshine for lunch was really nice, great food and great service too. Does seem to be one of those restaurants that has good days and bad days as I've read some dire reviews as well as some amazing ones +++

Can never talk about the OXO Tower without dragging this up Oxo Tower Restaurant Review by rachel

LMAO !!! :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

• 3 months later...

Got next Friday off with the lady to go out for a long boozy lunch. Was tempted by this place but looking at the menu they don't cater for veggies very well (she is, I'm not). Might go to Chez Bruce in Wandsworth instead - been before and it was pretty laid back with excellent food.

In actual fact, I eat veggie stuff while she is about and think it is good stuff. I can even, even I say, be seen eating Quorn of an eve from time to time. However, when parting with a decent wad of cash for food I'd rather it once had a heart (of the pumping kind over the artichoke sort).

(incidentally, if you are a poofty veggie try Terre a Terre in Brighton ... veggie restaurant that is excellent imho)

I'm the only non-veggie in our house :(

Some great veggie restaurants in Brighton though - I've even been known to eat lentil stuff in some of them :eek:

The only problem with the restaurants in Brighton, is the fact they are in Brighton.

It's a Proper sh1t hole and no mistake.

It's like London-by-sea, and it's absoloutely filthy.

As for that Quorn crap, it's the work of the devil, and I can't understand why anyone would want to eat it, they should only be allowed to sell it in cube form, and not made to look like sausages or bacon.

I mean, if you want something that looks like a sausage, and are hoping it will taste like a sausage, buy a fu*king sausage.

If you want something that tastes like cardboard, and has been man made by workers on a factory production line, buy a cube of Quorn.

You obviously go to the wrong parts of Brighton, Tipex, but then if you're dropping off students...

As for Quorn - tastes fine, as long as you put it with the right stuff. And before you start that you wouldn't cook just mince, you'd mix it with other stuff.

It's got loads of protein in it as well and it's low in fat, so comparable to (decent) chicken for nutritional value +++

And to keep the thread on track, mix it with an OXO cube and it's great :P

Agreed with Mook there - it really isn't too bad at all and low in fat. Not tried the OXO cube trick but I'll assume a veggine one ...

Still not coming round though.

I'm not Brighton's biggest fan either, but they do have some really good places to eat.

No mate, stick them in a pan with some other veggies etc and come up with your own vegetarian stock so you don't have to keep using that OXO sh1te! ;)

Incidentally, off to Murano (Angela Hartnett) so will post up a review in a few weeks which Mac can then hijack in revenge. (Sorry).