Subframe diagrams

AndrewGray

Hi, I am wondering if someone could help me out.

I need to know if the mount from the back of the subframe to the chassis comes out and if so how?

I have taken the plate that connects the subframe to the chassis off and I can see that there are two blocks of metal and then the captive nut is at the top.

Any diagrams or info on this setup would be appreciated.

Cheers

Andrew

The manual instructs to use a 500Kg assembly crane (so 2 tonne) to support the engine/Gbox, can't seem to find the engine/gearbox wieghts. You'll have to use or fabricate some tools for the crane to attach to the rear of the engine which screw in to fixed locations. The engine and trans mount bolts need to be removed. I have never done this and never to have to do this. IT_S8 (say his name and he will magicaly appear), may be able to give some pointers as he proly does this more than any one else. The info is Elsa and online Vagcat. There is more info but its quite a lot about removing the engine send me your email address if you want it.

The manual instructs to use a 500Kg assembly crane (so 2 tonne) to support the engine/Gbox, can't seem to find the engine/gearbox wieghts. You'll have to use or fabricate some tools for the crane to attach to the rear of the engine which screw in to fixed locations. The engine and trans mount bolts need to be removed. I have never done this and never to have to do this. IT_S8 (say his name and he will magicaly appear), may be able to give some pointers as he proly does this more than any one else. The info is Elsa and online Vagcat. There is more info but its quite a lot about removing the engine send me your email address if you want it.

A8 parts generally take the engine out of the front by lowering it still attached to the subframe and pallet trucking it out. They rarely have to put them back in! :D

Mike

When it says attaching to the rear of the engine, i'm guessing it doesnt just mean lifting it by the 4 engine holes on the block? Does it mean you must also lift it from somewhere else aswell?

I'll take pics of the 4 engine holes I was going to put U-bolts through and then use four 1 tonne slings and attach them to a 15 tonne engine crane that I am getting a lend of.

I'll send you a pm with my e-mail address.

Thanks for the help! :)

Poof.. and I'm here :-)

This was discussed in some detail last year with the previous owner about changing the subframe but I can't find the threads anywhere....

The engine weighs approx 200Kg, and the 'box is a bit lighter, but most smaller cranes only do 2 tonnes at the top of the boom, and moving further out reduces the load significantly - Given the awkward size of it, a 2 tonne is the smallest we'd recommend. 15 tonne should do it nicely :-)

The 4 holes at the top are dam substantial and are designed to hold it. Whilst I dont doubt that they will hold both the engine and box if needs be, they are balanced so that when all 4 are used, the engine alone hangs almost central. With the box hanging off the back, its an absolute bitch to manouver as it will all just tip backwards....

Hopefully though, you're just looking to brace whilst removing the subframe from underneath, so not too much greif. The propshaft will do a good job of keeping the gearbox in line, but dont push it too much as bending that wouldn't be good ...!

Mike - The pallet truck process has long been replaced, its a lot slicker now, you'll hopefully see it if you're still on schedule to come and see us... +++