• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DJStrange

DJStrange

Citroen C1 GT

• Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 01:47 PM

Changed front & rear pads over the weekend and noticed the person who put a new set of rear pads on one side (!) has chewed up the piston seal.

Anybody know if these can be bought separately or as part of a repair kit or something? I take it the piston has to come all the way out to replace the seal?

Any info much appreciated, as always :)

#2 DJStrange

DJStrange

Citroen C1 GT

• Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 09:16 AM

Hmm, been looking around at repair kits - can only find them for the smaller Audis (biggest I've found up to now is A6 caliper repair kit). Do any of the smaller Audis share the same rear brakes with the 8?

#3 sloss

sloss

Citroen C1 GT

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 12:48 PM

I got my repair kit from Biggred brake calipers for Saxo, Punto, Fiesta, Nova, Astra, 106, 206, Mini, BMW and more....

If you can see a bit of rubber chewed up then it's not the piston seal for pressure retention - it's the dust cover.

It tends to stick in the piston and as you wind it in it lags behind and can get torn.

If you are going to do this job yourself then it's a MUST to have the correct tool - again it's only about £18 on Eblag...

STew,
Stew

#4 Figure11

Figure11

S8 Fanboy

• Members
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 06:08 PM

Hmm, been looking around at repair kits - can only find them for the smaller Audis (biggest I've found up to now is A6 caliper repair kit). Do any of the smaller Audis share the same rear brakes with the 8?

Here's the girling part numbers from my 98 S8 and a 99 A6
8E0615423
4D0615423

Here's how to decode part numbers. If you follow the process the above part numbers tell you that 8E0 is and A6 and 4D0 is an A8 therefore 615 is Wheels and Brake sub section Blah Blah Blah and finally 423 is the actual part. So I could guess that the parts are pretty damn close

8D0698671 is the seals kit for the calliper on a 99 A6.
4D0698671 is the set of seals for the AHC (S8)
8D0698671 is the set of seals for the AAH,AEJ,AFB, AKN engined 8s

There is a theme here. Lotsa parts are interchangeable.

Give me full model engine and year an I'll find the number for a set of seals. Or you can rummage through VAGCAT.Com. +++

Mike

#5 DJStrange

DJStrange

Citroen C1 GT

• Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 08:53 AM

Hi Stew,

Yes, I tried that Big Red site myself. I'm just waiting on a reply from them regarding stock. I've got the rewind tool, that's what I used to do the pads, and you're right - it is the dust cover (boot?) and not the actual seal itself.

Mike,

Ah, so it is Girling who make them, that makes it a bit easier. I must apologise, I keep forgetting to use Vagcat - it would have told me what I needed to know. Thanks very much for your information though, particularly with reference to part numbers and interchangeability (blimey that's a big word for a wednesday morning) :)

I might check with GSF when I go. Got two polos to service before the end of the month too so there's another bunch of bits.

Maybe I should ask for a discount on oil seeing as I dropped my oil and took the filter off before I realised they'd supplied the wrong one... :rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users