BMW 318 to SORN or SELL

sky_is_the_limit

hi guys, I'm new here and this is my first post. I had posted this in the general forum with not much luck. I will delete this if I have posted in the wrong forum

I have a 02 BMW 318 Petrol Manual which has done 90k miles. I'm planning to move to Australia in Feb and is confused regarding what to do with my car. I'm moving for 6 months initially, but may stay back for a full year, if things go well. Now my question is

My car tax is up for renewal end of this month and MOT in March- it is giving me 30-32 mpg on average- is this a good/bad mileage

I would like to keep my car as I love it and would like to come back and use it next year.

1.Can I SORN it for 12 months and get the tax when I come back?

2. If this is possible what to do with the MOT?

3. Is it bad for the car to be idle for 612 months? I could get one of my friends to start and keep the car running in the garage once every month or so

4. does it need insurance(atleast 3rd party and fire) if I were to keep it in a locked Garage?

Is this a good option or is it better to sell it now?

any help really appreciated

• 1 month later...
hi guys, I'm new here and this is my first post. I had posted this in the general forum with not much luck. I will delete this if I have posted in the wrong forum

I have a 02 BMW 318 Petrol Manual which has done 90k miles. I'm planning to move to Australia in Feb and is confused regarding what to do with my car. I'm moving for 6 months initially, but may stay back for a full year, if things go well. Now my question is

My car tax is up for renewal end of this month and MOT in March- it is giving me 30-32 mpg on average- is this a good/bad mileage

I would like to keep my car as I love it and would like to come back and use it next year.

1.Can I SORN it for 12 months and get the tax when I come back?

2. If this is possible what to do with the MOT?

3. Is it bad for the car to be idle for 612 months? I could get one of my friends to start and keep the car running in the garage once every month or so

4. does it need insurance(atleast 3rd party and fire) if I were to keep it in a locked Garage?

Is this a good option or is it better to sell it now?

any help really appreciated

If theres a chance you'll be back in the motor then dont bother selling! Difficult times in the world at the moment, sale prices are too low to make it worth while selling IMO...