Monza II alloys in the future...

Tarmac_Terrorist

I'm kind of thinking ahead here.

The new MKVI will have the new type Monza wheels (black inserts). If I suffer damage in say 2-3 years time, would I still be able to purchase a brand new OEM Monza II with grey inserts for the MKV?

How long can you usually get replacement wheels for after a model is discontinued. (bearing in mind the MonzaII was an option rather than standard)

I'm ultimately wondering if I'm hanging on to my MKV if it's worth buying a spare in case they no longer become available as I wouldn't ever really want to go down the replica route.

Most companies use to work on a 10 year rule for parts. I stress the 'use too bit' though as a few are or have changed. If you have a not so common model in a cars line up it can often stop much sooner for unique parts.

The bit i REALLY hate is VW keep stressing the link of the mk5 to the mk1 and now again with the mk6 bringing MORE interest to the mk1 but in the past ten years+ they have been stopping supply of parts left right and centre for the mk1. Finding genuine parts for mk1s is ten times harder actually make that million times harder than finding genuine parts for british cars from the 50's! how stupid is that.

Edited by Snoopy

Hi guys

Anyone know where if anywhere i can get ahold of some Monza wheels with black inserts. Found some on eBay but had finished and seller said had none more :( dont mind replicas (aslong as good)

Got my White Mk6 Golf being delivered in March and they look awsome on the White GTi on the VW website

Cheers

James

Hi guys

Anyone know where if anywhere i can get ahold of some Monza wheels with black inserts. Found some on eBay but had finished and seller said had none more :( dont mind replicas (aslong as good)

Got my White Mk6 Golf being delivered in March and they look awsome on the White GTi on the VW website

Cheers

James

....Buy some standard Monza's with grey inserts (preferably with plenty of non-structural damage so they are cheaper)....Get them refurb'd by having them totally powdercoated in black and then diamond-cut back to the metal and clear lacqueur finished.

A friend of mine has done this and I have had my white-worm cured by powdercoating the whole face in Smoked Chrome.

A1 Wheel Renovations in Wolverhampton are expert at this - 01902 871 422 / Nigel (painter).

newwheels1.jpg

2008_1201Image0003.jpg

2008_1129Image0075.jpg

HTH +++

I'm kind of thinking ahead here.

The new MKVI will have the new type Monza wheels (black inserts). If I suffer damage in say 2-3 years time, would I still be able to purchase a brand new OEM Monza II with grey inserts for the MKV?

....You could do the same as I suggested in Reply #7 - But use your existing and refurb in grey base instead of black.

Sounds like you're planning to keep your GTI even longer than I am!

+++

....Buy some standard Monza's with grey inserts (preferably with plenty of non-structural damage so they are cheaper)....Get them refurb'd by having them totally powdercoated in black and then diamond-cut back to the metal and clear lacqueur finished.

A friend of mine has done this and I have had my white-worm cured by powdercoating the whole face in Smoked Chrome.

A1 Wheel Renovations in Wolverhampton are expert at this - 01902 871 422 / Nigel (painter).

newwheels1.jpg

2008_1201Image0003.jpg

2008_1129Image0075.jpg

HTH +++

They look brill with black insert imo

Thanks for the post

What's the cost for his kind of work, RR?

....He did me a deal, so it's best you phone him and discuss. It's Nigel's family business and he's extremely helpful. There's no web site or email and the premises look like a back street minicab firm, but their work is top notch as you can see from the pics.

I was going to go to Pristine but these guys are more helpful and individual.

+++

They do look top notch! Definitely an option to consider.

My only concern would be the quality (hardness) of the lacquer and how long it would last. I understand that lacquer used by 'SMART' bodywork repairers is softer than that of a usual bodyshop (drying times shorter I believe too). I'm not suggesting that it is inferior or softer lacquer on refurbs - I really don't know... just wondered. Any thoughts anyone?

^^^^

Unfortunately once the lacquer seal is broken (regardless of its thickness or quality), the dreaded white worm can start. One of the problems is that lacquer doesn't adhere to the diamond-cut alloy very well. Even just a stone chip can break the seal.

I love the Monza diamond-cut design, but..............

I was surprised to see the same diamond cut wheels on the new GTI. If these wheels are standard spec then VW might find themselves with a huge number of warranty claims.

VW group just never learn from mistakes though. Audi in the 80s, SEAT in the 90s, VW in the 00's all have had this type of finish wheel with these SAME problems.

They even keep using BBS since the 90s whos finish quality for long lasting is know to be bad,

I like the way those wheels catch the light RR. The 'inserts' look very reflective. I hope to see them for real in the future. For the miles you cover that was the right decision +++

I understand that the lacquered diamond cut wheel corrosion issue is more of a problem in the UK as our road salts are apparently the most corrosive in Europe. Perhaps European wide, the issue is not as great as it appears to us in the UK maybe?

^^^^

Yes, I wanted to somehow pay homage to the original Monza 18's finish but powdercoated to avoid future white worm. It's not possible to paint both the inserts as well as the face in different colours and to guarantee a clean edge join, so Nigel at A1 firstly painted the whole wheel glossy black and the face a solid Smoked Chrome but 'dusted' the insert areas in the Smoked Chrome.

He totally understood what I wanted to achieve - Some of the reflective qualities of the diamond-cut and not the very flat pale silver of the Monza 17's.

They change effect in different lights : -

Smoked_dark_rear.jpg

^ Before my suspension was lowered!

WhiteRedGrey_alloys.jpg

VW group just never learn from mistakes though. Audi in the 80s, SEAT in the 90s, VW in the 00's all have had this type of finish wheel with these SAME problems.

They even keep using BBS since the 90s whos finish quality for long lasting is know to be bad,

It's not just VAG, my Mondeo ST's alloys were the same, it's a problem with all diamond cut alloys irrespective of who makes them.

I understand that the lacquered diamond cut wheel corrosion issue is more of a problem in the UK as our road salts are apparently the most corrosive in Europe. Perhaps European wide, the issue is not as great as it appears to us in the UK maybe?

They changed the stuff they spread on the road in the UK a couple of years ago I think, they dont use salt anymore, it's molases (I think) and I'm sure it was mook who told me it's based on some kind of sugar by-product.

Wether it's any better or not, and wether it's as corrosive as salt or not I have no idea, but it certainly makes my car filthy!

What does the rest of Europe use?

They changed the stuff they spread on the road in the UK a couple of years ago I think, they dont use salt anymore, it's molases (I think) and I'm sure it was mook who told me it's based on some kind of sugar by-product.

Wether it's any better or not, and wether it's as corrosive as salt or not I have no idea, but it certainly makes my car filthy!

Didn't know that! ......anyone know any more???

They changed the stuff they spread on the road in the UK a couple of years ago I think, they dont use salt anymore, it's molases (I think) and I'm sure it was mook who told me

it's based on some kind of sugar by-product.

LickyBabe.jpg

^ Is this why she's licking the car? ^ :notworthy: :smileylove:

RR, do you think A1 Wheel Renovations would be interested in buying my OE 7.5J 17" Monzas to sell on? I'd like them to go to a good home!

I'm thinking about getting a set of the Detroit 7.5J x 18" Matt Black 1K0071498AMZ98 wheels soon.

My Monzas are in immaculate condition, no "white-worm" or kerb damage - maybe because I clean them every week!

Ludwig