Is this karcher sufficient...

JonC

Should be fine (can’t see the pic for some reason), seen people use lesser PW's with decent results.

I used to have a Karcher KB3030B with a 1600w motor; rated at 100bar & 330l/hr it was sufficient but from my understanding 110-130bar rated pressure is the desirable pressure and more importantly the flow rate show be as high as your water mains allow.

My Karcher is on its last legs (plastic cylinder head leaked- common prob on these), & was looking at spending over £150 for a Karcher with an Aluminimum cylinder head but I found a decent deal on ebay around an older model K4.97m for £60 New! with 120bar pressure & increased flow rate of 400l/hr & a 1900w motor. You don't really want really high pressure as it may damage the paint if you get too close.

The only other thing to consider is if you do a lot of touch less washing i.e. use a foam gun in which case pressure counts for a lot to generate a thick layer of foam.

Thanks, Ska. I do intend to get myself a decent Karcher sometime soon. Up to now, I've been jet washing at the local garage, coming home (2 minute drive) then blasting the car with the hose before the wash stage.

Here's an image:

karcher-b102-plus.jpg

It's got a lance for snow foam, so I'll give it a try next weekend - it's sunshine and showers today, so I've only jet washed the car. +++

Hi JC,

I can't remember the spec of my PW but it's a Karcher 4.99. I think its a mid spec domestic type model - nothing fancy and it works fine. I believe that flow rate is a big consideration when choosing a model.

The Karcher foam lance doesn't work particularly well (foam a bit wet and runny - doesn't cling well) but is still better taht now foam lance. I wenr for an Autobrite HD lance and can thoroughly recommend.

The biggest problem I have come across with all PW's is length of the lance hose. You usually get 6M which means that you keep having to move the machine to get right around the car. That's a pain because connected to the PW is the electric cable, hose pipe and the outlet hose! - all of which has to be dragged around the car. The the sodding plug pulls out of the wall!...you get the picture:roflmao: I found this such a pain and it was beginning to put me off being bothered to use it. I have just bought a 6m outlet hose extension and it's made like sooo much easier. You may find a better spec machine with longer hose. This would be my priority next time. +++

Thanks, TT. I'll try this little number with the Autobrite HD lance and see how I get on. It's only on loan, so I'll treast myself to a decent Karcher in due course; that's after the stage 2 upgrade, suspension upgrade etc....does the expense never end? Nope....:coffee::grin:+++

Thanks, Ska. I do intend to get myself a decent Karcher sometime soon. Up to now, I've been jet washing at the local garage, coming home (2 minute drive) then blasting the car with the hose before the wash stage.

Here's an image:

karcher-b102-plus.jpg

It's got a lance for snow foam, so I'll give it a try next weekend - it's sunshine and showers today, so I've only jet washed the car. +++

Since my Karcher has packed up I've been doing the same:roflmao:

I hear you too TT my cars around 16ft long and three lanes wide apart from having to drag the thing around my other worry is electricution from dragging the wire through any standing puddles:eek:

Edited by Ska

The only reason why I didn't go for this was to save a bit of money in the short term so I could buy some other bits for my car. If you can afford it buy it; it has all the power you need and has a Aluminium cylinder head so should last for a bit & ticks all the aspects already spoken of, Nice saving on RRP as well:

Kärcher K6.80 Pressure Washer - Kärcher Domestic Pressure Washers - CleanStore

Hi JC,

I can't remember the spec of my PW but it's a Karcher 4.99. I think its a mid spec domestic type model - nothing fancy and it works fine. I believe that flow rate is a big consideration when choosing a model.

The Karcher foam lance doesn't work particularly well (foam a bit wet and runny - doesn't cling well) but is still better taht now foam lance. I wenr for an Autobrite HD lance and can thoroughly recommend.

The biggest problem I have come across with all PW's is length of the lance hose. You usually get 6M which means that you keep having to move the machine to get right around the car. That's a pain because connected to the PW is the electric cable, hose pipe and the outlet hose! - all of which has to be dragged around the car. The the sodding plug pulls out of the wall!...you get the picture:roflmao: I found this such a pain and it was beginning to put me off being bothered to use it. I have just bought a 6m outlet hose extension and it's made like sooo much easier. You may find a better spec machine with longer hose. This would be my priority next time. +++

Totally and utterly agree re the hose length, so much so I am considering getting a new Karcher. I would also like more flow rate really.+++

The only reason why I didn't go for this was to save a bit of money in the short term so I could buy some other bits for my car. If you can afford it buy it; it has all the power you need and has a Aluminium cylinder head so should last for a bit & ticks all the aspects already spoken of, Nice saving on RRP as well:

Kärcher K6.80 Pressure Washer - Kärcher Domestic Pressure Washers - CleanStore

Now that is a bargain Ska !!!!+++

A quick update on my K4.97; I quite like it... I tested it on the A8 then the Merc then the front drive all the wau up to the road and then the patio, just in time for the snow!

The increased pressure is quite noticable and the flow rate does wonders for how quick all this got done so well pleased for a £60 investment.

Thanks for the pm and link, Rob, but the link takes me to the sign in page of Deatilign World. Any chance you could try again? Thanks. +++

ok mate not sure what happened there, but if you go to A world for detailers... click the forum tab at the top left of the page and then scroll down to the group buys section.

There are two group buys going on at the moment for lances & snow foam, you may have to register as a user to access the group buy section.

Cheers RobA3