New Monza II's thanks to black ice ... !

fresco1

As it's all over now ....

Unfortuntely had a very slight 'off' in Haslemere just before New Year's. thanks to some ice on the road. At about 25mph on a country lane, the back slid around on a sharpish right turn, causing my GTI to smack laterally into a high kerb and mount it.

After a quick check over at the scene, I managed to drive the short distance home, but clearly something was very wrong.

Long story short - needed 2 x new Monza II's on the left, plus 2 x Pilot Sport 2's. Quoted (from memory) about £475 per Monza, and PS2's about £221 each. All done in Guildford, although needed to get a driver's side PS2 added (Kwik Fit, £150) to balance out the wear.

Done through insurance due to cost, but an extensive little skid on black ice none the less - in terms of policy excess plus Kwik Fit, have shelled out £750-ish personally.

Colbourne's in Guildford did an excellent job, including a quick return to them to have the steering wheel 'centered' after adding the new driver's side PS2. Couldn't complement them enough!

Mind you, had spotted white-worms on the wheels a month or so ago, so I guess this is one (expensive!) way of sorting them out ... !

Have also decided to keep the GTI a bit longer, it's coming up on 3 years old now, but just passing 20K as use a crap Fiat as the daily charger! Plus replaced Mrs. Fresco's car about 3 month's ago, and can't find a replacement for the GTI that I like as much as the GTI ... !

(Have had a test-drive in the Scirocco, but would prefer something else - beautiful car, but not for me.)

Anyway - bit of fun with wheels and tyres since December - but all sorted!

You must have been gutted. Glad you've got it sorted now. +++

I've replaced 2 Monza's due to high kerbs and 2 momenatry lapses of concentration, but I only (!) paid £380 per alloy. Actually, this morning I saw a genuine Monza II for £299 on Ebay. Very tempted to by a spare or 4.

(I know Haselmere - used to be the Course Manager at Chiddingfold Golf Club, just up the road)

Glad its all sorted and no other damage to other mounting etc.

Only 20K and thinking of replacing the car?, I really don't understand at all why people do this myself.:pengy:

but each to there own.

You may have also suffered the dreaded lift of oversteer that the mk5 seems to suffer from im guessing thats why the motoring press love the mk5 GTI so much as its similar but not as bad as the 205 GTI the car that made me a fortune in recovery by putting itself in hedges and ditches for many years. never understand why the motoring press love lift off oversteer so much it maybe good on a wide track but its dangerous on uk roads imo but it does keep recovery buisnesses in work like BMWs do. :grin:

Edited by Snoopy

I've replaced 2 Monza's due to high kerbs and 2 momenatry lapses of concentration, but I only (!) paid £380 per alloy. Actually, this morning I saw a genuine Monza II for £299 on Ebay. Very tempted to by a spare or 4.

(I know Haselmere - used to be the Course Manager at Chiddingfold Golf Club, just up the road)

JC, why not ask Matt R for a quote? I still have an old PM from him quoting a very good price for 18's. Better than the Ebay price above :P

Am fairly sure I uttered a few choice words ... ! Originally thought about getting it done without insurance, but in the end VW themselves advised that in similar prangs it's possible to replace alloys and tyres, then end up replacing bits of steering and suspension if problems still exist.

Fortunately mine was mainly wheels and allignment, but a hard pill to swallow!

Usual scenario mind - a corner I know well, on roads that GTI's love ... ! However on the one occassion when I took the corner very cautiously - the back slid around. Happened in the blink of an eye, I think I threw in opposite lock but it was probably all over by then!!

(PS - I know golf course well .. !)

You've not had the best if luck with your GTI Fresco 1. Glad you've got it sorted and nothing more structural bent.

Snoopy - The 205 could be a tricky little car to drive fast. I had the CTI convertible and even nip and tuck overtaking manoeveres in the wet had the potential to go wrong if you lifted off on white lines! I never 'lost' it but had a few serious 'out of shape' moments that were unexpected and set the pulse racing a bit! So far, I've not found the GTI to be anywhere near as edgy as the 205 unless really provoked under hard braking. Perhaps I'm not driving it hard enough!!:o