Which browser? & quidco question

Tipex

Right, I currently have Internet explorer, Safari & Firefox installed.

Which one should I be using? Tyresmoke seems to load pages a bit faster in Firefox, but it crashes occasionally, some of the text is annoyingly blurry in Safari (even though I've changed the font smoothing) but otherwise I like it.

Apart from being a bit slower (and apparently less secure?) Internet explorer just seems to work without any annoyances.

Also is it necessary to dedicate one to Quidco (as per their recommendations), or don't I need to worry about that? just seems like it'd be a pain in the arse deleting the useful cookies that remember stuff, as they say you should delete all cookies and browsing history every time you purchase through them. so far I've had 2 transactions through Quidco and neither of them have worked and earned any cashback (Sea France and o2), both on Internet Explorer and I didn't delete any cookies or anything first.

I use Opera - it's faster than all the other ones and never crashes. Take Safari off your PC - it's fine on Macs, but it really is sh*t on a Windows PC.

Ref buying stuff via Quidco or Topcashback.co.uk, I always use Firefox, but I never delete any cookies afterwards - it always just works.

Did you submit an earnings enquiry to Quidco? I've had a couple of transactions not track automatically. It's easy to log into Quidco, it records the date and time of my visit to the website in question, select that and submit the enquiry. They then track as they should. Well they have the times I've done it.

I use firefox and don't routinely clear my data. I've only done it when researching purchases; when I've visited a site directly, or via another referral link. I then delete the tracking data to go back via Quidco.

Edited by Sponge

I use Maxthon specifically for Quidco, and nothing else. It's based on the IE engine so works pretty much the same as IE does.

Edit: Having said that I've got £297 in Quidco which has been validated since September, and no sign of it paying out yet. I've send a ticket in asking what's going on but it looks to me as though Quidco is a feckin fix.

Edited by Rustynuts

Ok, I've downloaded Opera and am using it, seems ok so far, I've managed to add the spell check function, but is there a better one?

My favourite is the one in Safari that checks as you type automatically a bit like word, but the one in Opera seems a bit of a faf and doesn't select the most likely word automatically like I.E. does in the suggestions box, or have the spell check icon in the message box, you have to right click and select spell check.

Rusty - check your payment settings - if you are set to Paypal it won't pay out over £50 - BACS is the way to go - the change takes about 10 days mind you!

Also, the 'money' has to be in the green 'recieved' column - thats where it is waiting to pay out.

I've been paid out about £100 so far, waiting on £120 odd that should pay out in the next few days as BACS payouts tend to happen at the end/start of the month.

Rusty - check your payment settings - if you are set to Paypal it won't pay out over £50 - BACS is the way to go - the change takes about 10 days mind you!

Also, the 'money' has to be in the green 'recieved' column - thats where it is waiting to pay out.

I've been paid out about £100 so far, waiting on £120 odd that should pay out in the next few days as BACS payouts tend to happen at the end/start of the month.

That's the problem. Nothing is moving from tracked and validated into received. I sent them another reminder that I wasn't impressed with their lack of movement. They said they were looking into it 2 months ago.

Ok, I've downloaded Opera and am using it, seems ok so far, I've managed to add the spell check function, but is there a better one?

My favourite is the one in Safari that checks as you type automatically a bit like word, but the one in Opera seems a bit of a faf and doesn't select the most likely word automatically like I.E. does in the suggestions box, or have the spell check icon in the message box, you have to right click and select spell check.

I only use Opera for browsing - I use Outlook 2007 for e-mail +++

IE is the most compatible. ms pretty good at fixing bugs.

speed of all of them is similar. safari is shite on a mac and a pc. dont get the apple maybe gods of UIs on iphone, but not on a sodding mac if you want to do things quickly.

multiple browsers useful if you want to access some sites via proxy and some without. IE will use default internet options settings, and firefox will use its own...etc...

speed of all of them is similar

Opera and Firefox are both quicker at rendering the TsN site. Our development team also ran tests on our own apps - Opera loads up to 35% quicker than IE 6 or IE7 depending on the site used +++

Yes, Safari is sh*t, but I was trying to not offend Mac :P

sorry mook but thats because tsn is hosted in aus and is a VERY slow site. it doesnt cache the style sheets etc properly i'd guess. tsn is much slower than most other sites via ie7/ie8, safari or firefox. thats why i post less nowadays.

today its not too bad, but still slow. a large number of users also found this, which is why they've probably not come back.

it was mentioned loads when the site changed over but people didnt listen and assume because its quite nippy for them in london etc, thats its fast elsewhere.

not sure what the common denominator regarding speed is, but its sodding slow.

site rendering speed on any browser is negligible for a modern pc. its all about data caching.opera/firefox are not faster per se. they have different ways of rendering pages. the actual data transmission for all is pretty similar. main optimisations are via additional caching. ie8 also improves on this and fetching algorithms.

so your dev team should look at moving the host.

Noone else using Google Chrome then? I love it and seems to be super-fast and looks great. In the past I've used Opera though, which is also pretty good. Regarding Quidco, I'd suggest using IE or something just as a quidco browser "just to be safe" and then you won't lose your passwords. Isn't exctly too much hassle is it?